More Tmax mk6 Impressions

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

More Tmax mk6 Impressions

Post by MrGrumpy »

I haven't ridden the Tmax mk6 as much as you might expect as I was away down South for a few days and since then the weather up here has been appalling! However some further impressions....

As usual, Yamaha have taken several steps forward with the mk6, but have also taken a few small steps back. Biggest step forward is the handling – the mk6 really does handle amazingly well. Its so precise, requiring such a small effort through the handlebars to make it turn – and the faster you go, the more fun it is. It feels so light and agile – like a much smaller scoot! I used to feel with the mk4 that you interacted with the bike via some sort of onboard chauffeur – a skilled chauffeur, but something that dulled the bike's responses. This feeling has gone – you feel much closer to the action. Wet grip from the Bridgestones is fantastic.

The ride is curious – it reminds me of the mk2 that gave you a square wheels feeling on some surfaces but rode big bumps like they weren't there. The mk6 is nothing like as extreme, but some surfaces seem to give quite a firm ride, but it glides over some other surfaces that seem as bad or worse. Overall, its slightly firm, but not harsh.

Engine wise, I'm obviously still running it in, but it definitely seems to accelerate much faster than the mk4, presumably due to the ride-by-wire throttle. The only odd thing is that sometimes it seems to give rather more drive than you'd expect at certain throttle openings. The computer obviously things you want to be a hooligan sometimes. Fuel economy has been in the low 60s, which is brilliant for me, although of course I'm mostly keeping to 5,000rpm so may not be a good indication. However, the scoot seems easier to move around, so may have less rolling resistance which ought to help economy.

Windscreen – not too sure about it. By the standards of past Tmax screens, its pretty good – in its higher position ts fairly quiet and doesn't buffet much. However, I do get some wind noise from the helmet vents and noise begins to rise at M-way speeds. Of course, the electric screen is the most desirable feature of the DX version! I'm going to try one of those moveable visors on the screen, or Ermax do a screen 2” higher than standard which should fix it.

Less good is the Smart Key system. The key is doing my head in! I never know where best to keep the key when riding, and of course, you can't leave it with the scoot when you aren't on it. The main hassle is that the emergency key within it is the topbox key, so I'm forever swapping the key from pocket to pocket and taking the topbox key from it, or switching the key on or off. The actual system isn't that bad, though over complex. The locking centrestand facility seems useful as it saves messing with chains and cable locks (outside London, obviously).

Underseat luggage space: it does take my Medium Arai full face helmet – just. The space is actually longer than before, though lacks depth. However, it does now easily take an armoured bike jacket. The Yamaha topbox is a silly design – instead of being a sensible rectangle, its a humped design that makes it hard to squeeze a jacket in, despite being easily big enough.

Lastly, the footboards have shrunk! They are definitely narrower than before – I'm getting draughts up my leg, which is fine in warm weather but won't be great in the winter! I think I'll have to find an old pair of cycle clips to keep the draught out! However, the fairing seemed very good at keeping rain off me. The riding position is surprisingly roomy – more so than previous versions.

So, its very different in many ways to the previous versions, much better to ride, even if Yamaha have cocked up some details.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: More Tmax mk6 Impressions

Post by StephenC »

I looked in here for a mention of fuel consumption and you do say it is better than you would normally get. Does Yamaha claim Blue Core for the Tmax engine?

You see I have just had the 600mile service on the Xmax 300 and have started running it with higher revs (avoiding prolonged running above 5400rpm instead of 4500rpm) and giving it a lot more welly from a standstill. I have also filled it with Esso Supreme, which may or may not make a difference.

On the J300 I got a steady 76mpg no matter what I did. On the Xmax while running-in the trip computer showed 95mpg. I put that down to pussy-footing around. Now I've only done 40 miles of commuting into central London since the oil change so it's very early to get a definitive stat but... it says 101mpg. That's One Hundred and One miles per gallon.

That can't be right. I will be keeping an eye on this and will do a review thread in due course.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

Great write up!
MrGrumpy wrote:It feels so light and agile – like a much smaller scoot!.
I always smile when people say this, because I always think to myself: 'Err.. why not just get a smaller vehicle?' LOL

Sounds a big step up from the MK4!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

StephenC wrote:I looked in here for a mention of fuel consumption and you do say it is better than you would normally get. Does Yamaha claim Blue Core for the Tmax engine?
I've seen no mention of it. I don't think fuel consumption is the most important design criteria for the Tmax ! I never pay the slightest attention to the displayed fuel consumption figures - the only figures that matter are how much fuel you actually put in at the pumps!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Globs wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote:It feels so light and agile – like a much smaller scoot!.
I always smile when people say this, because I always think to myself: 'Err.. why not just get a smaller vehicle?' LOL

Sounds a big step up from the MK4!
'cos you have lots more performance! No smaller scoot has a proper chassis, so whilst lighter, their handling is hardly ever up to the standard of the big scoots (though I thought that my Aprilia Leonardo was remarkably good). A small scoot with a proper chassis might be fun (especially if it had the Bev 350 engine!!!) but presumably its too expensive to be competitive.

It is a significant step up from the mk4 in many ways, but as I said in my original write up, it still is a Tmax, albeit one that's a bit nippier, more agile and more fun.

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

MrGrumpy wrote: A small scoot with a proper chassis might be fun (especially if it had the Bev 350 engine!!!) but presumably its too expensive to be competitive.
The Vespa 300 GTS is already there :).
Not the 330cc Bev engine though, but surprisingly fun!

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Smart key system, amazing handling, ride-by-wire throttle...
Guess I'm living in the stone age with my Mk. 3.. :roll: :oops: :)

What about those LED lights Mr G?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

2wheelover51 wrote:Smart key system, amazing handling, ride-by-wire throttle...
Guess I'm living in the stone age with my Mk. 3.. :roll: :oops: :)

What about those LED lights Mr G?
Mk3 was fun though! I assume there are LED lights...but I can't see them when I'm riding! They look quite evil even when switched off though! Both headlamps are supposed to be on on dipped beam which is cooler than only having one on.

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Usually don't notice height or weight of Tmax when feeling ok but just gone out on MrT to Drs to pick up more pain killers made the mistake of going in trainers and realised TMax is fine seat height wise when feeling ok but not so great when feeling like this, could do with something a bit lower and lighter.. :? Also my riding isn't that great on medication.. :D
Still nice to ride though...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

2wheelover51 wrote: Also my riding isn't that great on medication.. :D Still nice to ride though...
I always think riding IS medication!