I need a new jacket . . . .

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
wilsonsteve
Benefactor

I need a new jacket . . . .

Post by wilsonsteve »

I'd always thought my jacket was waterproof until I was forced to ride 20+ miles home yesterday in steady rain. Checking back, I find that I've had it 17 years :oops: and it's done more than a few miles in all weathers.
Whaddya reckon, chaps - a decent waterproof jacket, armoured elbows, shoulders and back, winter liner? I don't want to spend megabucks, I don't ride as often as I used to/would like, but I want a jacket that'll keep me dry and give protection should the worst happen. I prefer a long-line jacket rather than a blouson-style.

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Re: I need a new jacket . . . .

Post by Symcity »

I don't particularly like rst apparel - I've generally opted for dainese in goretex which I find pretty good - not particularly cheap though - apparently tucano urbano gear is quite good

wilsonsteve
Benefactor

Post by wilsonsteve »

Thanks, Symcity. You're right, Dianese is pricey, unfortunately. I'll have a look at the others, though.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Weise gear is well worth looking at - v good quality and not mega bucks.

I've never tested my wet weather gear so much as in the last few weeks of this 'summer' and have concluded that none of my gear is actually that waterproof! There again, most of it keeps you more or less dry for around 20 minutes or so. I think that plastic oversuits, over gloves etc are the only way to really keep dry.

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I've got an Alpinestars "Andes" drystar which I've used in constant heavy rain and found to be 100% waterproof. Not expensive either and has removable liner and summer vents. Only downside for me was the sleeves were a little on the longside but they'd probably fit someone of "normal" dimensions! I'd recommend it but not sure how good it would be after 17 years.. :?

wilsonsteve
Benefactor

Post by wilsonsteve »

MrGrumpy wrote:Weise gear is well worth looking at - v good quality and not mega bucks.
I've never tested my wet weather gear so much as in the last few weeks of this 'summer' and have concluded that none of my gear is actually that waterproof! There again, most of it keeps you more or less dry for around 20 minutes or so. I think that plastic oversuits, over gloves etc are the only way to really keep dry.
I've had a quick look and Weise is definitely on the list, looks good. Thanks Mr G.
2wheelover51 wrote:I've got an Alpinestars "Andes" drystar which I've used in constant heavy rain and found to be 100% waterproof. Not expensive either and has removable liner and summer vents. Only downside for me was the sleeves were a little on the longside but they'd probably fit someone of "normal" dimensions! I'd recommend it but not sure how good it would be after 17 years.. :?
2wheelover51 wrote:I've got an Alpinestars "Andes" drystar which I've used in constant heavy rain and found to be 100% waterproof. Not expensive either and has removable liner and summer vents. Only downside for me was the sleeves were a little on the longside but they'd probably fit someone of "normal" dimensions! I'd recommend it but not sure how good it would be after 17 years.. :?
Argh, looks like that one is discontinued! I'll search to see if there's anyone holding stock. Thanks, 2wheel over51.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

I wear a Northface kagoul over both my leather and textile jackets.
The textile jacket has a waterproof liner but it's easier to leave it out and put something on the outside. Besides which, it keeps the jacket dry as well as me.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Sale here:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/defaul ... =ML-160717

The e-mail said 'Huge Savings on Dainese'
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

My current fave gear for jackets is Richa.