Too Sinter or not too Sinter ?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Too Sinter or not too Sinter ?

Post by XP500FUN »

I just wondered what people thought brake pads and of sintereted or organic pads wise etc please.

I quite fancied getting 2 sets of the EBC organic ones for the T-max but wonder if the braking will be good enough ?

In 34 years of biking I`ve not actually bought that many brake pads.

The T-max with 24K on still has the original ones in, now just about gone.

But I did buy sintered ones once that really seemed to take it out of the disc and braking seemed no better.

I very rarely get above 70mph these days and am mr engine braking really.

But I did have a close call on the T-max the other week that its top drawer brakes saved me.

Anyway appreciate any thoughts on types and brands, experiances etc.

Thanks Mark.

PS just seen you can get gold fren ceramic carbon as well ?

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Re: Too Sinter or not too Sinter ?

Post by Steve_D »

I've tried sintered ones in the past. Didn't work too well until heated up and destroyed my disc in about 2000 miles. Nowadays on my bikes, I only use OE manufacturer ones. In the last three weeks, I've replaced the rears on my FJR and the fronts on my SH300. I got the FJR ones at a good discount as my mates son works in a Yam dealers. I paid £32 for the fronts for my SH which I didn't think too bad for genuine Honda ones.

"But I did have a close call on the T-max the other week that its top drawer brakes saved me". Why buy anything other than what is fitted already then? You know they work fine and unless you are taking it on the track I can't see why you would consider anything else.

Just fit what it left the factory with would be my advice and be careful of buying off the internet from an unknown source as there are plenty of counterfeit ones about.
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

I use EBC and usually the Organic ones rather than the sintered - as said - sintered take a while to warm up and not always the pad of choice on a commute... OE pads are way to expensive, and didn't last 5 mins in the 250...
EBC do a Carbon - a sort of Half Way House - i have them on the XMax400 - Maybe worth a try
https://ebcbrakes.com/product/sfac-seri ... oter-pads/

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

EBC organic stop my Silver Wing fine
Have wheels, will travel :D

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

I use EBC sintered on my SYMs and they work well.
Other makes and disc composition may vary however.

BTW EBC has an online shop, there are a lot of fakes around so use your dealer or the official EBC shop to source them.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I usually end up with EBC, though I've no idea what type! However, I have come across an occasion (can't remember if it was for disks or pads) where Yamaha were actually cheaper than EBC!!!

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I've tried sintered pads in the past and found them no better. I also think they cause higher disc wear but many disagree. I use organic pads. I used to use cheap chinese organic pads on my bikes but don't seem to be able to get the same brand these days. They were as good as any of the more expensive makes and half the price. These days I tend to go for the EBC organic pads, as you say the TMax's brakes really are top notch even on my old Mk 3. I've had a complete set sitting in my parts cupboard for months but do so few miles these days it'll probably be next year before they go on, like my new tyres.. :?

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

Well I tended to use gold fren s33 Carbon pads these days great results for me ,drastically improved stopping distance and much better than the standard brembo pads fitted originally .Ferodo green organic pads have proven to give the most feel and tend to be more progressive than using sintered pads but don't last long at all . Many on the euro forums like the SBS pads which appear to be similar to the s33 . Prior to the above my prefers was ebc HH sintered on various machines and gave a marked improvement over oe fitments .Using sintered does make your discs look rusty more quickly also .

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Hi I went for the ebc SFAC carbon organic ( thank you ) as sounded a good compromise and easy on the discs too.

Just under £23 delivered for the 2 sets F + R from Ebay.

I did call my localish dealer but it would of been around £60 plus from yamaha ( originals) so went with these. ( also an hour drive as out of the way here too).

I`ll let you know but hoping they are good.

https://ebcbrakes.com/product/sfac-seri ... oter-pads/ ( same link as above thanks )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302286032148

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIT-YAMAHA-XP ... SwSypY9E5P

Many Thanks All

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

The pattern of use which you describe tells me that you will not get any benefit from sintered pads. In fact if you do need to make an emergency stop and the brakes are cold because of light use then sintered pads are probably worse because they will be below their optimum temperature. I say this as a big fan of sintered pads but they're not for everyone.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...