Too Sinter or not too Sinter ?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Re: Too Sinter or not too Sinter ?

Post by Globs »

Also a good way to improve braking efficiency is to make sure the pistons can move in and out of the calipers easily.

There are in my experience no rubber boots on scooter calipers so the metal sliding surfaces are open to the elements, every year or so pump out the pistons a little, make sure they are clean, grease with plumbers silicone grease and make sure they slide and rotate well.

You can buy reverse pliers to help turn them to clean and check for free movement.
Also remember to source any EBC product direct to avoid fakes, or better: get the manufacturer pads.

Pete07bikes
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS300 HPE

Post by Pete07bikes »

Good shout Globs, I recently replaced the rear pads on my Forza and the pins were 'sticky' with one pad wearing significantly more then the other. A new set of pads together with a good clean of the caliper and it's moving parts and re-grease worked wonders with much more effective brakes thereafter.
Pete
Rainham, Medway Towns, Kent
Honda CB500-XA

steve_h80
Current Ride: silverwing 600

Post by steve_h80 »

Generally I'm a fan of scitered pads, but my riding is usually out of town so speeds are higher. The only time I had problems was when I put scintered on the rear of a tdm900, they proved a bit much and often gave the abs a workout until I learned to be a bit lighter with the right boot.
They will theoretically wear disks a little quicker but not enough to cause me a problem or need for disk replacement.
But as someone said if in doubt go for original manufacturers parts. Brakes are too important to mess about with unknown cheapo options.

steve_h80
Current Ride: silverwing 600

Post by steve_h80 »

Agreed on cleaning them too. I did the front on my silverwing the other week and the difference is incredible.

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

I did order them from a company on ebay who look ok, and to be big dealers !!! Hope so.

But last night my older son had a look at the pads in with his much better eyes than me and he says they are fine for now.

Blimey how long are these things going to last as still superb braking !!!

I`ve ridden it in a hilly land for 6 + years !!!

Best Mark.

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Well just for interest sake the 2 sets of SFAC EBC Caron pads for the T max Mk 1 came.

Just under £23 for both delivered as I mentioned.

They look to be good and totally authentic, and I had missed this when looking at them, but they are made in Britain.

Nice surprise that.

Is there a made in Britain website etc to track down UK stuff as we might be sitting a bit on the edge of a slide etc.

Best Mark.