2017 TMax review

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Re: 2017 TMax review

Post by Greyerbeard »

XP500FUN wrote: I took my 7 stone son on mine last night and it was bliss compared to when just me.

Soneone a little bit heavier and it is perfect.

Best Mark.
Well well - funny you should say that - I've always felt I was too light for the Mk4's suspension; and having lost about 15kg lately (down to 70kg/11stone) it's even harsher. On the rare occasions I carry a pillion, it feels a much nicer bike...

About to do a post of my own about the handling.
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Thanks for the replies.

Mr Grumpy: I look forward to some exciting manual reading then.

bugsy: Thanks for the info. My dealer is getting hold of the Yam nav holder so we can see if I want to install it or use some other mounting method. From the picture, it looks rather ugly in my view, like an afterthought rather than a nice design matching the bike, but I must reserve final judgement until I've seen it.

I suspect that Yam intend it to be wired to an ignition controlled circuit and I'm guessing there may be a dedicated connection for this purpose under the bars cover somewhere. They actually they sell a specific wiring connector which appears to go with the holder, but it's not really clear to me at this stage how it all goes together. Couldn't find any instructions online regarding fitting the holder.

Don't think I'd want it connected direct to the battery because it could flatten it if the nav was left on by mistake when parked, so I prefer ignition control. I appreciate that you probably would not leave the nav on the bike when parked out somewhere but at home in my garage, it would be too easy to forget and leave it on the bike. Especially at my age when I can hardly recall my own gender, let alone something as mundane as removing a nav.

I've had navs on bikes before and like having the unit in the centre of my vision, not mounted to the side on a mirror or fluid reservoir as many do. So that points to the Yam holder, even if I'm not too keen on its appearance, if there is no other method of mounting the nav centrally.

Lyn: Thanks. The Yam nav holder does not use the cig lighter socket on the TMax (incidentally, rated at a max of 24w devices, meaning up to a 2amp current) but is connected directly somehow into the bike's circuit so I'd hope there is no risk of overload as it is designed for that purpose. Encouraging that you found the similar Honda mount to be useful.

It is perhaps remiss of Yam not to incorporate a proper built in nav mount somewhere on the bike dash or bars cover for the new TMaxes. These are top end, very expensive scooters and navs are commonplace these days. And for those buyers who don't want a nav, a blanking plate would be supplied to make it look neat without the device. Would like a damn sight neater than the add-on lump of plastic they offer now.

The DX version already has a GPS chip built into the bike, which acts as a tracking device and there is remote communication with the accompanying smartphone app by mobile phone signal. Having introduced something as high tech for bikes as that, you'd think that having a built in nav mount, which these days is quite low tech and I'm guessing would be welcomed by a lot of riders, would be desirable.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

What i meant was, If you are not going to use the Yamaha wiring kit for a satnag, but were thinking of using SAY the ciggy lighter to get 12volts from. Then to first check the output of said ciggy lighter as they are not ciggy lighters at 3 to 5amps but a 12volt outlet, and some are only 1amp..
Lyn :D

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Hi GB, yes the T max is great two up.

You can get an adjustable YSS monoshock for about £240 delivered that you can adjust damping and preload on.

Might get one one day.

Best Mark.

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

XP500FUN wrote:Hi GB, yes the T max is great two up.

You can get an adjustable YSS monoshock for about £240 delivered that you can adjust damping and preload on.

Might get one one day.

Best Mark.
Not listed on YSS website?
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Heres the one for the 2001-2003 T max

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMMORTIZZATOR ... 1438.l2649

Heres the one for the 2004-2011

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YSS-AMMORTIZZ ... SwImRYRuj9

There are all about too up to more recent models.

Best Mark.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yeah, but the DX model has one as standard.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Just discovered another curious feature of the mk6, to do with the ride-by-wire throttle. Obviously a snag with a CVT is that the clutch will often disengage when you are descending really steep hills slowly with a closed throttle - After descending a couple of local steep hills from the N York Moors I noticed that something clever in the system makes the engine rev at 3,000 rpm in these situations! I first thought that I must be hanging on to the throttle by mistake, but no, on a steep hill, the engine revs go to 3,000 with no hand on the throttle, thus keeping the clutch engaged, though does give the odd impression that you are driving down a 20% gradient when your hands are poised over the brake levers!
Still getting occasional bouts of throttle off surging though - I wonder if its connected to this 'descending mode', thought the occurrences seem very random.

ramasay
Benefactor
Current Ride: None

Post by ramasay »

Not been on here for ages, but considering the latest T max when I get my pension lump sum in November. One question, does the seat lock in place when away from bike and ignition off so to speak? Local dealer has one in, but no battery connected, so fuel cap and seat buttons just opened, they said they will not know until they PDI it, and connect battery when sold.

Would not like to think I had put stuff under seat and anyone could just push button to gain access. Guess Mr Grumpy may know. :D

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yes, everything locks...the snag is opening things! The seat, fuel cap & glove box lock automatically 1 minute after the engine is switched off. They can be unlocked via the general On/Start switch or via the peculiar 'P' button, but in the latter case lock themselves again after 15 secs! The Steering lock and Centrestand lock are activated by the Off button and can only be unlocked by the main On/Start switch.
I hope that's clear....the system isn't the easiest thing to understand!