2017 TMax review

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
ramasay
Benefactor
Current Ride: None

Re: 2017 TMax review

Post by ramasay »

MrGrumpy wrote: There again, if the main battery is disconnected or completely dead, will you be able to unlock anything? The security system is electronic, so if there's no juice it won't work, and all the locks appear to be electro-mechanical in that a electrical switch causes something physical to happen, so again, if there's no juice, how would the system unlock? The emergency hidden lock is designed to work if your smart key is lost or not working, not the main battery.
The mechanic did say that if all else fails they ring Yam for an unlock code, seems all a bit faffy. Just don't let battery run out. Sound like it would be a recovery job home if that happened :cry: :cry: .

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

MrGrumpy wrote: The emergency procedure is hilariously complicated...the secret lock by the rhs footrest only gets you so far. To start it you have to open and close the seat 3 times and then put in the secret code by a difficult and error prone method. The chances of doing this in an emergency, even if you have the instructions, is close to zero.

Yes, I also liked the gloss paint, though the DX's blue looks quite nice in photos.
The blue DX looks nice though the matt finish area requires a special polish. The book says to avoid using normal wax polishes intended for gloss.

I agree that the unlock procedure without the electronic key is a performance but then again that's probably a good thing so that others can't access it. I doubt that the procedure will be used much by owners, if ever, so even if you bothered to learn it, you'd almost certainly forget it all by the time you might need it. I guess we need to carry the handbook around permanently to enable using the procedure, in the unlikely event it's needed.

The added complications of the DX as I mentioned earlier are mostly well worth having for me so I see them as useful extras rather than otiose "complications". The operation via screen controls and display of the heated grips, seat etc. do take a bit of learning but like anything, once you are familiar with it there is no longer any problem. Cruise, an especially valuable feature that I'd always choose where available, operates with dedicated bar buttons and not via the screen. The power screen also operates from a dedicated bar button.

But yes, the DX is definitely a more complex bike than the basic model but I find most of the additional features very welcome rather than an embuggerance.

And just to add to the bike's "complications" I've had a nav fitted too ;)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

abitmad wrote:.

I agree that the unlock procedure without the electronic key is a performance but then again that's probably a good thing so that others can't access it. I doubt that the procedure will be used much by owners, if ever, so even if you bothered to learn it, you'd almost certainly forget it all by the time you might need it. I guess we need to carry the handbook around permanently to enable using the procedure, in the unlikely event it's needed.
I've taken the precaution of taking a copy of the relevant pages of the manual and putting them in the topbox!

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

MrGrumpy wrote: I've taken the precaution of taking a copy of the relevant pages of the manual and putting them in the topbox!
Good tip thanks, I'll do the same.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

:idea: Or you could just download the pdf of the 2017 Tmax manual from Yamaha themselves?

:D :D :D

https://cdn.yamaha-motor.eu/owner-manua ... 199E0E.PDF
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

StephenC wrote::idea: Or you could just download the pdf of the 2017 Tmax manual from Yamaha themselves?
Yes - that's only just become available - it wasn't when I bought mine. I guess in this modern hi-tech world I should download it to my phone...

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

You really are all putting me off of ever changing from my Mk4! :lol:
Surely you're not saying that you can't buy a DX if you don't have a smartphone??
1964 Matchless G3
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Greyerbeard wrote:You really are all putting me off of ever changing from my Mk4! :lol:
Surely you're not saying that you can't buy a DX if you don't have a smartphone??
You can of course, it's just that without a smartphone as far as I know you would not be able to access the Vodafone GPS tracker facility and the many other uses of the app. On the positive side, you would avoid the annual charge of £100 or so that the service costs after the first free year, which I find rather excessive.

There are several very desirable (in my view) extras that come with the DX above the basic model, apart from the tracker and app, as I have listed above. My personal opinion is that these are well worth the additional cost if you can afford them though others may disagree.

It certainly was not the tracker feature that led me to buy the DX, it was the other additional items. Another distinguishing feature of the bike is the matt blue finish on parts of the bodywork. It looks very nice without being meretricious but again, was not something that contributed to my DX decision.

On the most important question, "what's it like to ride?", it's a 'kin dream. I'm still running it in which means keeping below about 5,000 rpm so I can't test flat out acceleration or top speed. But then I've never had a TMax before with which to compare it. Last scooter was a Bev 350 a few years ago and that was also a nice bike. I'm an old fart, laid back sort of rider, so extreme top speeds and arse clenching acceleration aren't that important to me anyway as long as they are decent. What is important to me is handling and comfort and the TM delivers this admirably and especially the DX with its additional comfort features.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Just wait till you can twist the throttle fully! For me, the biggest revelation is the sharpness of the handling - it just flings itself round corners - even compared to previous versions!