2017 TMax review

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
bejay220
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 530

2017 TMax review

Post by bejay220 »

Good review of the TMax. Not much technical detail but the test ride will make you want one!

https://www.youtube.com/user/CagerOnTwoWheels

abitmad

Re: 2017 TMax review

Post by abitmad »

That's not quite the right link to go direct to his TMax review, it should be this:

I'm in the process of buying a TMax, the DX version.

Cager is an interesting vlogger in general. Portuguese and writes from there but speaks excellent English and does amusing vids of which there are quite a few on his youtube site.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Keep up people! This was posted on here a couple of days ago!

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

I was aware of the previous mention but didn't want to possibly offend the first poster by saying so. It's easy to create bad feeling online with a casual remark, without intending to do so, in a way that wouldn't happen in person.

As I'm about to become a new TMax owner myself, I've read all the comment and reviews here and elsewhere about it, including your own interesting reports as a new owner.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

If you have any specific queries about the new Tmax ask away, though of course I've only got the humble base model. The thing that is most useful about the DX compared to base is the electric screen and probably the heated grips - the other bits are nice but for me probably live withoutable - though if you take a pillion, the adjustable rear shock might be very useful.

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

I`ve always thought not having any adjustment on the rear shock as a real flaw or slip up in the T max range myelf.

You should be able to set up something so important for any ride or riding style etc.

I took my 7 stone son on mine last night and it was bliss compared to when just me.

Soneone a little bit heavier and it is perfect.

Still better than the silverwing though whatever.

Best Mark.

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

MrGrumpy wrote:If you have any specific queries about the new Tmax ask away, though of course I've only got the humble base model. The thing that is most useful about the DX compared to base is the electric screen and probably the heated grips - the other bits are nice but for me probably live withoutable - though if you take a pillion, the adjustable rear shock might be very useful.
Major DX attractions that persuaded me to go for it over the standard TMax:

Electric screen - this is great. Tried it on my test ride and the range of adjustment is superb, going right up to a full windblock position if you want. Had it before on a BMW RT and know how useful it is.
Cruise control - really good for long motorway or similar riding. Again, had this before on the RT and really worth it in my view.
Heated grips

DX items which may come in useful:

Heated seat
Adjustable shock
Two drive modes (town and sport)
Smart phone connection app which has a host of interesting features. Downside is that after the first year you have to pay a sub of around £90 a year to continue the service.

It's possible I'll find the two drive modes make sense after I've used the bike a bit both in town and country so I dunno yet. I'm a laid back, old fart, take things easy, sort of rider, not a knee scraper. Very rarely if ever carry pillions and the adjustable shock not too important for me and my riding style. Heated seat - had it before, also on the RT, and it's not an especially worthwhile feature, probably wouldn't pay for it if it was an optional extra.

Since you ask I have one query, have you fitted a nav? I'm going to fit a Tomtom Rider and am considering the dedicated nav holder from Yamaha but it looks a bit odd in the picture, like an armchair though probably not quite that size. Haven't seen the actual thing yet.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products ... &year=2017

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Sorry, haven't got a GPS (my internal one works fairly well!), so can't help with the mount.

Returning to DX items, most reviews have queried the value of the two driving modes - one just makes it feel slower it seems, and there is traction control anyway to help in tricky conditions. Cruise Control - I don't like this even in the car as I don't feel in control, so I'm certainly not keen on it on a bike - don't do much M-way riding anyway. I had a heated seat on my Burger 650 but never used it - on the DX I understand that the pillion bit isn't heated, which would seem to be the key for extra family rows!
As you say, everyone says the electric screen is great, though the deflector thingy I've fitted makes the standard screen reasonably effective.

btw when you get it, prepare for an anxious hour or 3 reading the manual as you try to get your head round the smart key system and the display menus!!!

bugsy
Current Ride: Honda 750x dct

Post by bugsy »

Sat nav

I had a Yamaha sat nav holder put on my 2016 T Max on delivery. I installed my Garmin Nuvi but it didn't work properly. Not charging, switching on and off etc. It appears the dealer had wired it in as they normally would- whatever that is. I asked for it to be connected direct to the battery and for the past 18 months had no problems. Good pin connection but remember to keep the pin connector covered with the attached cover when not in use to stop crap getting in her. Yes I would recommend the Yam GPS holder. Just remember the wiring bit.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

Just remember if you use the Yamaha wiring plan, check the current available,and that to be be drawn by the unit. Most of the Garmin stuff i have had pulled 2amps...My Honda ciggy lighter port only supplies 1amp...
The Honda Integra satnag mount was the same as the T-Max, a big lump of plastic the mount fitted on the handle bars in place of the cover..worked well as it was tilted to your eye line.
Lyn.