Honda SH125 mode

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Pete07bikes
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS300 HPE

Honda SH125 mode

Post by Pete07bikes »

Not sure if I should use the Maxi scooter or the mini scooter for this one!
Has anyone any experience of the SH125 mode?
I know it's a lower-powered version of the SH125 and was surprised to read that its water-cooled
Does it corner ok with the single rear shock?

I've changed jobs and my commute is back to 80 odd miles a week (from 220) so the Forza 300 might get swapped for a 125 or similar. Main requirement is reasonable weather protection (so the big screen and the clear handlebar fairings will be a must),
I like a flat floor, and I'll get a top-box as I realise the under-seat storage is small.

Thank you
Pete
Pete
Rainham, Medway Towns, Kent
Honda CB500-XA

Generalpurpose

Re: Honda SH125 mode

Post by Generalpurpose »

I have ridden both and much prefer a proper SH125. Also the Forza 125 is great but expansive

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

id also go for the sh125, the mode is a good scoot, but if your going from a 300 forza the mode is physically smaller than the sh models. they are both capable machines but the SH is a better machine.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

By coincidence, I saw a story about the Mode in an old T&G mag. I must say that single rear shock looks horrible. I'd much rather have a Forza 125, or if you can't afford one of those, there are loads of S-wings around.

Pete07bikes
Benefactor

Post by Pete07bikes »

Thanks for your replies folks, the main reason I thought about the mode was the ease of removing the rear wheel (it being a single sided swinging arm, same as the vision) that and the fact it'll be easy to filter as its narrow - obviously the 'normal SH125 is a similar width and has a top-box as standard! The Forza 125 isn't much smaller than my 300 and I had an Swing before my Forza.
Pete
Honda CB500-XA

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Pete, I've commuted daily for 5 years now on my Vision 110.

The single shock at the rear has never been a concern with my 92kg weight and the bike's diminutive 102kg mass. Yes, you'll have to loosen the exhaust to get the wheel off but it is very easy.

If I were to replace the Vision for a similar step thru I'd go for the SH Mode over the updated Vision 110 and the SH125i. The Mode is not significantly heavier than my Vision, the wheels are larger, the flat floor has a better closed shopping hook (!), which I love, the power to weight is better than both the Vision and the Sh125i, it's liquid cooled.

I guess what you are swapping with the Mode over the 125i is: lower price, power to weight (I know this is not much to write home about) but this will make the bike nippier than the Vision & 125i, for the 125i's LED lights, smart key and ABS at a cost of say £600 more?

My Vision has the clear knuckle guards, screen and 39ltr top box, the brakes are great, it's a smooth little air cooled motor and I can only see the Mode as a cheap and obvious upgrade for the daily commute. It is bloody good fun too around the bends!

I'm not sure the SH125i is a better machine than the Mode is Horobags, it's got more gizmos and ABS of course, but I don't think that adds up to more. The Mode will do a fantastic job if it is anything as good or better, than the Vision 110.

Tim

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

Seeing as I have both sh 125 and vision 110,i would go in the middle,and I have got one,why..?????????
Cos I am greedy, a Suzuki Address ah110.air/cooled/taller/quicker then a vision,but not as quick as the sh125.
Its got narrow bars,so it needs mirror extenios,better tyres,cos they are too hard ,but that's easy to change,single-sided-swinging arm ,but it dosent sell,but its very good.
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

good points Tim, im sure the mode. is up to the job of the commute, as is the vision, these small honda scoots are fantastic machines, ive not ridden a mode, but on a commute the SH is quite tall which lets you see the traffic ahead, slightly bigger wheels will cope with poor tarmac, and for me abs is a must. ive considered a vision and a mode in the past, great machines as i say, but for me the SH has that little extra.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Pete07bikes
Benefactor

Post by Pete07bikes »

Thank you Capt. R.Swipe, you've made some good points, a few which I hadn't considered. Brakes are combined so that's fine (not fussed with ABS the speed I'm going to be going). I'm not sure what the service schedule is on the Mode, suspect it's like the Swing, belt at 15,000 miles and oil change every 2,500 - hopefully Paul with the sh125 & the Xmax 400 will chip in with that for me.
Thanks also to Richie, another vision die-hard fan, for your comments.
Pete
Honda CB500-XA

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Two little features that I love on the Vision and one I hate........

The two little features are the open pockets in front of my knees - great for bunging my mobile, or a cycle water bottle or keys in for a quick get-away.

The one thing I bloody hate is the seat release key hole at the back of the bike under the left side and out of sight!

I bought myself a new car in April and on Sunday I'm off to a steam engine rally & show, about 25 miles out in the south Devon countryside. I shall be riding my Vision there rather than my shiny new car. Its a cracking ride on this little scoot along those country lanes and of course the city streets.

I'm sure that any of these little Honda scoots are bloody great and fun to ride as well, I'm sure.