Xmax 300 - more questions.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Generalpurpose

Xmax 300 - more questions.

Post by Generalpurpose »

Hi all,

given that my Forza 300 is a write off I am currently looking for a replacement scooter. today I test rode the new Xmax 300 and it was great. The bike feels very nice and suspension was much plusher (if that is a word) than on my Forza.
I would want a higher screen as with the stock there is still a lot of windblast at speeds above 50 mph.

questions I have: what is the tank range? on the test ride it showed about 75mpg ish...but I was not riding slow.

has any got a higher screen?
also I can't seem to find heated grips on the accessories list. does anyone know if there is a factory option?

I know lots of questions but I do really favor it...

so I may do a switch...
ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Xmax 300 - more questions.

Post by MrGrumpy »

Range - According to Yamaha website it has a 13ltr fuel tank. I guess it'll likely to do between 65 & 75 mpg or maybe more if you are gentle (ie not like me) which is between 14 and 15 miles per litre - so that makes a range of at least 180 miles to empty (though warning light will probably come on at around 140 with 3 ltrs left.
Screens - Yamaha list a high screen for an appalling £244 (!!), other options to search include people like Givi, or Ermax, Secdem, Puig - or I fitted a Puig moveable deflector thingy to the Tmax screen which gives decent results and only cost £45

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

PS heated grips - your dealer will be able to source heated grips from people like Oxford, which probably be much cheaper than any Yamaha option anyway!

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Aye up Generalpurpose check out Stephenc review here. Several members on Facebook are also reporting 100+ mpg.
http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk/forum/vie ... 39&t=20755
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Aye up again Generalpurpose you stated " I would want a higher screen as with the stock there is still a lot of windblast at speeds above 50 mph."
I know what you mean and after reading others comments I chose a smaller sports screen for my 2014 X Max 250. Completely changed the scooter for the better. Bit more buffering around the shoulders but noise reduction far outway this.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

TJSCOOT

Post by TJSCOOT »

Hi Generalpurpose. I've had XMax300 for a month now approx. 800 miles total, it averaged 118mpg during part 1 of the engine break-in (<600 miles no extended riding over 4.5krpm). Part 2 : 600-1kmiles no extended riding over 5.5krpm and its now averaging around 90-100mpg.
The standard screen is adjustable having 2 height settings, likewise the bars. I'm happy with the original positions screen in lower position and bar in forwards position.
There are expensive plug n play Yamaha h/grips available that I'm told are relay controlled, good as the battery is tricky to get to and an easy feed is not straight forward. Oxfords 120mm are around £50 and dealer quoted £250 total inc fitting. I'm confused on this one as they say lot of front plastics etc have to come off, which conflicts with the Yamaha blurb.
I'm not certain about the rear suspension, mine "bounces" and you've only got pre-load to play with. The 15" 14" wheels won't help matters.
My last scoot was a TMax but glad I went the 300 route :D

Generalpurpose

Post by Generalpurpose »

TJSCOOT wrote:Hi Generalpurpose. I've had XMax300 for a month now approx. 800 miles total, it averaged 118mpg during part 1 of the engine break-in (<600 miles no extended riding over 4.5krpm). Part 2 : 600-1kmiles no extended riding over 5.5krpm and its now averaging around 90-100mpg.
The standard screen is adjustable having 2 height settings, likewise the bars. I'm happy with the original positions screen in lower position and bar in forwards position.
There are expensive plug n play Yamaha h/grips available that I'm told are relay controlled, good as the battery is tricky to get to and an easy feed is not straight forward. Oxfords 120mm are around £50 and dealer quoted £250 total inc fitting. I'm confused on this one as they say lot of front plastics etc have to come off, which conflicts with the Yamaha blurb.
I'm not certain about the rear suspension, mine "bounces" and you've only got pre-load to play with. The 15" 14" wheels won't help matters.
My last scoot was a TMax but glad I went the 300 route :D
thanks very for this write up.

I did see some yamaha branded heated grips with an integrated switchboard one of them. They seem to be not model specific and cost was 138 pounds...without fitting.

I did take the scooter up to indicated 90 mph and it got there quickly and smoothly.

the mpg you quote is great.

Generalpurpose

Post by Generalpurpose »

muddyfox wrote:Aye up again Generalpurpose you stated " I would want a higher screen as with the stock there is still a lot of windblast at speeds above 50 mph."
I know what you mean and after reading others comments I chose a smaller sports screen for my 2014 X Max 250. Completely changed the scooter for the better. Bit more buffering around the shoulders but noise reduction far outway this.
Yes if I get the Xmax I will have play with the stock screen adjustment first but I know what you mean by rather having a nice continues airflow than buffering. I still ride a naked bike (CB1000R) which has no real screen.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

I'm getting 93mpg on journeys that take in heavy filtering and fast A-roads, I usually fill up at around 200 miles.

As said, the screen is height adjustable at home and I too am not very sure about the rear suspension: it feels soft but then does sometimes crash.

I'm still not impressed with the main beam or the mirrors, but these are niggles, really.

Overall it is a hugely competent machine but not one that I have fallen in love with. I preferred the J300 handling and the Satelis practicality.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

charles1976
Current Ride: shopping around

Post by charles1976 »

Be interested to see how stable it is above the legal limit..