Tmax review / the benefits of Maxi-scoots

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Re: Tmax review / the benefits of Maxi-scoots

Post by The Bern »

MrGrumpy wrote:
The Bern wrote: Remember to remove the key from the ignition switch if you're pushing it without wearing your crash hat, an officious copper could 'do you' for riding without a helmet, been there had that, £2 fine no costs
You can't believe the pettiness the Police will sink to! BUT what about a smartkey system like the Tmax? No key to remove! I guess one would have to turn the system off, though the subtleties of this might be beyond the average policeman.....
It was a bit more convoluted than just that bud, on that occasion I was in court on 2 charges, Riding without a helmet & Riding the wrong way in a one way street, both of which I was actually guilty of :cry: So I pleaded guilty, but with mitigating circumstances (hence being in court not a postal plee) Magistrate was very accomodating & listened sympathetically.
Basically when the sergeant drove into the road (with his 'rookie' constable passenger) I was pushing the bike up the hill with a view to bump starting it down the hill, I was getting hot wearing the crash hat so perched it on the mirror while pushing, in my estimation the sergeant was showing off his 'power' to the P.C. & that was how I ended my statement to 'the bench'.
I had to agree that I had committed the offences as charged, the magistrates accepted my statement, apologised for the necessity to do it & fined me £2 for each offence with no costs or endorsements,he then 'invited' the sergeant to visit his chambers & dismissed the court.
Would have loved to have been a fly on his wall
Have wheels, will travel :D

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

Globs wrote:...did about 8 yards of (legal under Common Law) pavement riding and got through
I would not rely on that being legal.
As I remember it, common law states that you can ride up to 15 yds on a footway in order to access a place of legal parking, or a life saving act, not to continue your journey along the highway.

(I used to prosecute and advise on vehicle technicalities in court, while it wasn't my area this used to crop up in joint prosecutions)

If you get stopped for pushing a switched off motorbike on a footway your best defence is that "you were not in control of the vehicle" because their is legal precedent that you must straddle a motorcycle to be "in control of a motor vehicle" which is part of the charge. Duck walking counts as in charge because you are straddling it.
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Bluebottle wrote:
Globs wrote:...did about 8 yards of (legal under Common Law) pavement riding and got through
I would not rely on that being legal.
As I remember it, common law states that you can ride up to 15 yds on a footway in order to access a place of legal parking, or a life saving act, not to continue your journey along the highway.
Interesting....my local town has at one particular designated motorcycle parking place....but you have to ride (or walk the scoot) over a pavement to reach it! Next door to the police station as well!

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

I had forgotten about MrGrumpy, i can turn my key off as well.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

kayz1 wrote:I had forgotten about MrGrumpy, i can turn my key off as well.
Yeah, you can turn the Tmax key off, but when its off it its got an LED that gives a flash 0.2secs long and when on a flash of 0.1secs (or vice versa), and its not easy for owners to tell whether the key is on or off, so I don't think I could easily convince a policeman that it was off or on! And in either case the scooter itself might be on or off.

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

Getting seen by the police is not really an issue as they are entirely absent from the streets these days. A bigger risk is ANPR but that also needs a chain of authority, planning, type approval etc as well so many of those are invalid.

Additionally riding slowly on a few feet of empty pavement has no victim - so there's no crime. The rules of corporate entities like government and councils only apply if you are willing to stand under them (source of the phrase 'do you under stand' - the correct answer being 'No'.) - effectively inviting their rules to be applied to you - although even then you have a right at the time - with no time limit - to read the relevant act of parliament - i.e. PACE.

Some policemen know the rules, some even know the law, but the number of people harassed even from taking pictures in public etc shows that their opinion is not to be trusted as a matter of course.

Today's police are basically like building security of a large corporation - sort of a mobile version. This is why gypsies and 'criminals' get away with a lot of 'crimes', because they simply do not agree to jurisdiction and fail to incriminate themselves.

It's a bit like Parking Eye (etc) asking you to identify the driver so they can pay their invoice - based on their assumption of a dubious contract often set by distant signs with indecipherable terms and conditions.
The standard mug will pay, the gypsy will have no address, the 'criminal' who want's to 'get away with it' will see Contract Law as a double edged sword and their reply to these parasites will be their own contract outlining their charges for replying to their letters and can use case law (created to help enforce these illegal charges) in reverse to enforce their own contract. The Beavis case ironically made that easier - e.g. charging £200 for your reply (complete with invoice and threat of court action against them) is not now excessive - but fine for the objective.

It's an interesting field, easier on a bicycle because you are anonymous.

As the UK parliament do not consider the war of aggression in Iraq, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Sudan etc. to be illegal all respect for them has gone. It's obviously just a self serving corporate entity with no interest in even abiding by their own rules - so why should we? That would be a nonsense.

Respect for each other is fine, but respect for the rules of people currently attacking Russia for killing our terrorists and trying to start a nuclear war in NK is non existent. This is the perspective in which we need to operate today and to realise that we don't have to be serfs if we don't want to be.

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

I still wouldn't rely on it as a defence in court because the law is specific in its conditions.

Also don't agree with the "what-about" argument.
"But he started it" is just abdicating responsibility for our own actions
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

Bluebottle wrote:I still wouldn't rely on it as a defence in court because the law is specific in its conditions.
You appear to have missed the points I was making. It doesn't really matter.
Bluebottle wrote:Also don't agree with the "what-about" argument.
"But he started it" is just abdicating responsibility for our own actions
There is no abdication of responsibility - quite the reverse.

It's not my responsibility to support corrupt corporatism, which most of these regulations represent.
It is however my responsibility to object to lawless actions of those corporations as they attack and kill innocent people.

You may feel your responsibility is different which is fine too.

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Apologies for going off-topic with an updated review of my TMax DX.

I bought it new in August and have just had the first 600m service done, cost about £102. So now I can exceed the 5,000 rpm limit set for running in but I'm not really into squeezing the last rev out of it, I'm more of a laid back rider.

I'm very pleased with the TMax so far and happy that I paid more for the DX version which in my view and for my riding is worth it. For those unaware these extras above the basic TMax consist of the powered screen, two driving modes, cruise, heated grips and seat and adjustable shock. Of these the most useful, for me, are the screen, cruise and heated grips/seat. Since it hasn't been that cold since I bought it, I haven't had a decent chance to test the heated grips and seat but assume they will prove useful, having a large range of adjustment.

I'm not sure of the merit of the two drive modes, which are T for touring and S for sport. The difference is in the response with S reacting far quicker to movements in the electronic throttle. Having tried both modes, I'd guess that most will leave it in S all the time though I do frequently use T personally. Presumably the basic TMax which has just the one mode is fixed in the equivalent of S.

The power screen and cruise are terrific. I've had these before on a BMW RT tourer and first encountered cruise on a bike many years ago on my Harley Electraglide and later on two Road King Classics. I wouldn't be without it now on any big bike, for me it makes a big improvement to comfort on long motorway etc. riding, as does the power screen.

I haven't altered the settings of the shock, which requires crawling under the bike and using the C spanner supplied in the toolkit, but anyway this scooter handles very well, more than enough for my riding. The TMax has long been famed for good handling and although I've never owned one before, it sure works well for me in this regard.

What's bad about it? Well the underseat storage is not that huge by some big scooter standards, taking only one helmet and some other stuff. But against that a bulky rear end would likely spoil the looks in my view and in any case I don't often carry much stuff and never pillions so I'm not concerned about that. For what it's worth, the new XMax 300 by comparison has an enormous boot, you can practically sleep in it.

Other than that, I see no downsides at all though if you need to watch the pennies, it is very pricey at close to £11,000, not much difference against BMW scooters which are nice but very heavy and are not as well equipped as the DX.

The DX goes, stops, handles in great style, it looks good, carries stuff, keeps the weather off, is very much lighter than rivals from Honda, Suzuki or BMW and I'm delighted with it.

Additional things I've added are a Tomtom nav and a BMW type socket on the left panel, which is not a glove box like the right side but just a battery access cover, so that I can plug in my charger or possibly heated gear etc. Also I'l be buying the Yam tunnel bag.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

[quote="abitmad". For those unaware these extras above the basic TMax consist of the powered screen, two driving modes, cruise, heated grips and seat and adjustable shock. Of these the most useful, for me, are the screen, cruise and heated grips/seat. Since it hasn't been that cold since I bought it,

The power screen and cruise are terrific. I've had these before on a BMW RT tourer and first encountered cruise on a bike many years ago on my Harley Electraglide and later on two Road King Classics. I wouldn't be without it now on any big bike, for me it makes a big improvement to comfort on long motorway etc. riding, as does the power screen.

[/quote]

If only the elec screen was available as a retrofit accessory or option! Still the adjustable visor thingy I've put on my standard screen works quite well.