Tmax review / the benefits of Maxi-scoots

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Tmax review / the benefits of Maxi-scoots

Post by MrGrumpy »

2wheelover51 wrote:Great review. He didn't mention how the lockable centre stand performed though. Reading through the comments on the video it's sad to see the usual prejudices and biased comments from people who consider themselves "real" motorcyclists. :)
yeah, pathetic weren't they! Still grinding on about 'small wheels'! People are just stuck in the past.
How does the locking centrestand perform? Well, you press a button and it locks and you can't get it off the stand. What else do you need to know? :lol:

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Yeah, 'spose that's about it really! :lol:

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Agreed on some of the crass comments there.

On the locking stand, you can't really blame the guy for not pointing it out. There were many other features he failed to point out as well. He may not have even been aware of the stand lock and many other functions as there is just so much tech on the TMax and even more on DX that it's almost impossible to become completely familiar with all of it on a short test ride. Good to see the black DX though, I thought it looked cool in the vid but as often with pictures it may look different in reality.

I know when I had a test ride on a DX, many of the tech aspects were quite bewildering. The dealer explained a few of them but you don't need to know every feature for a test run. Even after I bought it and went through the manual, being one of those saddos who actually reads manuals, some features took quite a time to understand as Grumpy will confirm I'm sure.

The chap does a lot of biking vids including reviews of bikes and kit and travelogues too, and is usually quite entertaining, with his main ride being a BMW GS. I've watched several of them. But he's not a pro and is not always familiar with the technical aspects of all bikes. If you look through the comments, he even states in response to someone that the TMax doesn't have CVT (which he calls "conical belt drive") but an auto gearbox like the Honda DCT Africa Twin!

Despite all that, I think he's generally quite good and his DX review is useful, enjoyable and well worth watching for anyone interested in this bike. His vids are also technically well produced with good sound and picture quality, because he's clearly an electronics geek.

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

abitmad wrote:I've not seen one either, only the blue was available when I bought mine, but on the Yam website it looks very similar to the black of the basic TMax, the only colour available.
I’ve had a tmax before,i enjoyed it,it handled well and if i were to be honest i chucked it around a bit better than my Burgman,the only thing i struggled with was the leg position,which has been altered on the new model“abitmad” has allowed me to sit on his and when we have a breakfast meet,i am going to have another sit on it and give it a good look over it(he dont know that yet,so keep it under your hat)

Its got all the toys that my Burgman has,plus the cruise control,White would be nice,but could also be happy with the blue,i am just thinking aloud at the moment,i will obviously have to find a dealer thats has one as a demo,although i have a good idea how they handle,i’v Had Burgmans for 9/10 years,unsure how difficult it will be to change.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Stephen wrote:,i will obviously have to find a dealer thats has one as a demo,
Good luck with that! If you find one, then locating the Loch Ness Monster will be easy!

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

MrGrumpy wrote:
Stephen wrote:,i will obviously have to find a dealer thats has one as a demo,
Good luck with that! If you find one, then locating the Loch Ness Monster will be easy!
I guess demo Tmax’s are hard to locate,a lot of dealers dont even have ‘em in stock for wanna be owners,they have to be ordered,if i were to get one i certainly wont be making a purchase this side of Christmas.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Stephen wrote: I guess demo Tmax’s are hard to locate,a lot of dealers dont even have ‘em in stock for wanna be owners,they have to be ordered,if i were to get one i certainly wont be making a purchase this side of Christmas.
I guess it is possible that some will come onto the secondhand market before too long, which should be available to ride.

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

The dealer supplying the bike for the review vid I linked has had a demo DX available for several months. You can see their name written on the bike screen in the film, backwards from the rider's viewpoint. They are Powerbiking in High Wycombe, Bucks.

They are a major Yam dealer, sell only that brand and I always prefer single make dealers. I've used them and was satisfied with their quality.

http://www.powerbiking.co.uk/

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

Stephen wrote:I guess demo Tmax’s are hard to locate,a lot of dealers dont even have ‘em in stock for wanna be owners,they have to be ordered,if i were to get one i certainly wont be making a purchase this side of Christmas.
That seems to be a problem for all scooters, merely locating one for sale to look at is tricky for many brand/models. We're very much a niche group in the UK, being independently minded and smart tends to do that: the masses are well addressed with car demos and competition keeps them all reasonably 'honest'.

Even years ago when SYM was still available due to the legacy of Moore & Large still being fresh I had to travel to north london to actually find the model I was after and there was just one new model, no demo anywhere. I think I'd have retired abroad before I get the next scooter, whereas only 2-3 years ago with a suitable dealer in the area I'd probably have traded both mine in for a new 300.

Z750Jay
Current Ride: Vstrom 1000

Post by Z750Jay »

The problem with Maxi Scooters is the image and the price. The majority of 600cc+ bike riders want something that goes fast and handles, something Maxi's are not known for, to most they are just a big moped. Price is the other issue. If you could pick up a T Max or Burg 650 for £4999 new then people might be tempted to get one as a winter hack.
Something else that might tempt people is one sold with a decent sized engine as the perception is anything under 1000cc is for new riders or those who can not afford a big bike.
Yes the little 650 Burg and T Max can handle if you put a lunatic on them [emoji56] but as the bike is at 100% of its design performance, I suspect something will go expensively wrong in the next year or so!
Now a motor that had a decent output of over 90bhp ........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk