Tmax review / the benefits of Maxi-scoots

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Tmax review / the benefits of Maxi-scoots

Post by MrGrumpy »

Z750Jay wrote: Yes the little 650 Burg and T Max can handle if you put a lunatic on them [emoji56] but as the bike is at 100% of its design performance, I suspect something will go expensively wrong in the next year or so!
Now a motor that had a decent output of over 90bhp ........

Nah - Yamaha have never even approached the limits of the Tmax design, engine or chassis! The chassis is utterly unstrained by the puny power of the engine and could cope with lots more. And I'm sure that much more power could be extracted from the engine, if they wanted, but they don't. Reliability has normally been excellent, though I've had odd component failures.

Z750Jay
Current Ride: Vstrom 1000

Post by Z750Jay »

Thats the trouble - they all have rather gutless engines. Not sure all the elastic bands in my Burg appreciate me looning around in manual mode all the time, playing with sports bikes on the twisties I hit the rev limiter way too much at times and I am sure dropping down two does not help! Almost got T Max but found the riding position caused a lot of back pain while the burg did not - my whole reason for coming across to the dark side of maxi scooters in the first place so went with the Burg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

MrGrumpy wrote:
Z750Jay wrote: Yes the little 650 Burg and T Max can handle if you put a lunatic on them [emoji56] but as the bike is at 100% of its design performance, I suspect something will go expensively wrong in the next year or so!
Now a motor that had a decent output of over 90bhp ........

Nah - Yamaha have never even approached the limits of the Tmax design, engine or chassis! The chassis is utterly unstrained by the puny power of the engine and could cope with lots more. And I'm sure that much more power could be extracted from the engine, if they wanted, but they don't. Reliability has normally been excellent, though I've had odd component failures.

No 650 Burgers used here, mainly TMax's and SRV's850's, and no signs of strain.. :lol:

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

Might have to try the TMax again next year now that the back is better and see how it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

And another amateur vid review, the base model rather than the DX:

Aps if it has been posted here before as it dates from late August.

This is one is quite negative in many ways but as the chap says, it's just his opinion and I see nothing wrong with that.

There are a few minor errors, like his comment that the power screen is an option on the base TMax; the incomplete description of the additional stuff on the DX; his use of the on/off buttons. But forgivable in my view because it would be hard not to make any mistakes when reviewing such a techy bike as the TMax or DX that you have for only a brief test run and with which you were previously unfamiliar.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

abitmad wrote:And another amateur vid review, the base model rather than the DX:

His first words were 'today we are on a scooter' as though it was something weird and strange....so I gave up there and then!

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

750jay ,you should have got an SRV850 m8 130mph and handles great if your prepared to put some effort in . I dropped 20kilos of mine and it transformed the handling. Certainly not as nimble as a tmax but still great fun .I ride with a lot of bikers on various machines and only ever get left on long straights . God knows what I will replace it with as the euro 4 halted production .

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

Not a bad review given it is by a ‘normal’ bike rider aimed at the average motorcyclist

alp231
Benefactor
Current Ride: X max 300

Post by alp231 »

Why would yamaha spoil what is a extremely good selling well balanced machine with a big lump of a motor when they have the fjr1300 tracer etc

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

Unfortunately there were none available when I was looking, it was the TMax or Burg. Found the Burg suited my back injury better plus it has the Manual mode as I really can not get on with the Auto on anything other than motorways