At what mileage do T Max's become unreliable/money pit?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

At what mileage do T Max's become unreliable/money pit?

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Just wondering . At what mileage do they become thus?

I've been umming and arrrhing about PXing my 2014 530. Its lovely in white, full akra goes well and has been 100% reliable. 6000 miles a year. full service history, serviced on time, wants for nothing. It has a patina, wear on the bar ends/brake levers but I quite like that. No corrosion of note, though a ridge on the discs.I thought I'd found a "new" Mk 5 but it had gone. New Mk 6 is £4500 to change which is a lot considering I paid £7000 for mine 3 yrs ago. Mine has 15000 miles on it and is still lovely , but I can see it will probably need new discs / pads soon =£3-400 . When I service it in 3000 miles new tyres /etc MOT .Just wondered what is a realistic mileage to expect before big bills. I see them do 50000 miles without an engine strip. Any advice appreciated.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: At what mileage do T Max's become unreliable/money pit?

Post by MrGrumpy »

I don't think there is any particular moment when problems start, they seem rather random. As I complained on here, my mk4 had a series of failures, speedo sensor, radiator, coil, but they were more or less random component failures and effectively unpredictable - and the scoot had only done something like 18000 miles. It will continue to consume consumables of course - I had to replace the front brake disks on my mk2 at around 24,000 miles. I've never heard of anyone replacing the rear shock absorber, but they must wear out sometime, and that'll be expensive!

Chocky
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Mk8

Post by Chocky »

My current Mk4 has done 30,000 miles with no real problems Robbo, just consumables. Mind you, the final drive belt at £300 plus was a shock at 27,000 miles, but I think that some of that was due to a slight misalignment with the toothed wheel. I sold my previous Mk2 at 48,000 miles with only a couple of very minor problems in that period.

I do about 9,000 miles a year and usually ride with friends who all have big bikes, so we don't hang about. I have not needed new discs on my Mk4 so far.

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Thanks guys. I'm still really loving my mk 4 and the cost to change is big now these bikes are so expensive . I'll soldier on for now !!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

tmaxrobbo wrote:Thanks guys. I'm still really loving my mk 4 and the cost to change is big now these bikes are so expensive . I'll soldier on for now !!
But the mk6 is so much better than the mk4........just saying! :twisted:

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I also guess it depends on how it's looked after. If it's serviced by a dealer you are of course at their mercy and they will do no more than what you're paying for. If you do your own work then you can atttend to lots of problems before they arise and stave off any big unexpected bills (I hope! :lol: ) Glad I won't need a £300 belt change on my Mk 3 anyway! :?

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

My T max MK 1, going to a new home any day, has never blinked in 6 1/2 years of ownership.

Its quite simply the best vehicle I have ever owned, any number of wheels wise etc.

Can`t say that of other things at all especially recently.

Maybe as its an all Japanese beastie compared to later models etc.

Don`t do any winter miles either though so that has probably helped.

About to pick up a fiat that isn`t a fiat so hope that works out OK.

I think the T max is probably the best scooter ever made myself allround.

Best Mark.

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Thanks guys . Agreed all the T Max's I've had have been 100% reliable . I use mine every day and it still cleans up well , no corrosion. £5000 to change stops me from just doing it . Last time from a Mk2 to a Mk 4 was £2800 , the mk 2 was a mint low miler so it's hard to justify the change .

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

tmaxrobbo wrote:Thanks guys . Agreed all the T Max's I've had have been 100% reliable . I use mine every day and it still cleans up well , no corrosion. £5000 to change stops me from just doing it . Last time from a Mk2 to a Mk 4 was £2800 , the mk 2 was a mint low miler so it's hard to justify the change .
Sometimes new bikes have problems and £5k buys an awful lot of spare parts. Also you may have to factor in depreciation and higher insurance on the new bike to add to the cost, plus it's more attractive to thieves.

Then you've got the tedious running in period and first service - if you like your current bike, it's in good condition and running well I'd stick with it. You can always buy a new one in the future - that option is open, maybe the MK7 or MK8 later: but once you've dumped your old ride it's gone for good - as has the money.

I'd take that £5k and go on a nice holiday - maybe take the bike too on the Santander ferry and pop into northern Portugal - I've found the places I ride are far more important than the year of the bike :D

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Wise words thanks. You are right , £5000 goes a fair way .I'll wait and see if there are any changes next year