Not garaged - Uninsurable

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Pete07bikes
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS300 HPE

Not garaged - Uninsurable

Post by Pete07bikes »

Beware trying to get insurance if your scooter isn't garaged!
I have had a Multi-bike Insurance policy with various companys for a scooter (used for my commute) & a motorbike for sunny Sundays for over 6 years with no problem and recently sold my Forza 300 with a view to getting either a Vision 110 or a SH125 mode for my new shorter commute, since my policy runs out on the 27th of this month I thought I'd get a couple of quotes.

My motorbike is a Honda cb500x and when I requested a quote though firstly my current insurer (Bennetts) then via comparison sites they wouldn't quote me for both vehicles. So I thought I'd try separate cover - put the CB500x and got a price of £134. Put a Vision 110 in with no no-claims (you can only have no-claims on one policy) and got a quote of £1,857.
On speaking to the insurance company that offered a policy (there were loads that didn't) it transpires that any scooter not garaged is pretty much uninsurable thanks to the thieving scroats who nick them.
I should explain that my garage is semi-integral and 12 foot of it has been converted to a room and roughly four & a half foot is garage (so the bike goes in sideways but I cannot squeeze more than 1 bike in) and that I live in a good area of Kent with no previous issues (or high prices) getting insurance for bikes, cars or the house.

So my motor-bike now becomes my commuter too - and my scooter days are over for now.
I am so glad I decided to sell the forza before my insurance expired!
Pete
Rainham, Medway Towns, Kent
Honda CB500-XA

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Not garaged - Uninsurable

Post by MrGrumpy »

It must depend on area - you maybe in Kent, but maybe you are too close to London!! I heard on the radio that someone in Richmond - very nice area - was having problems getting his bikes insured after two break ins. I have no problems here - I usually squeeze both scoots into the garage but usually say that I keep one in the garden just in case I don't for some reason.

Liam
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Vespa Sei Giorni

Post by Liam »

A few years ago, I think I was with Ebike but not certain,, I was quoted a slightly higher premium when I said it would be garaged. I think the insurers theory was that thieves could break in and work at their leisure, before wheeling it out of the garage.
I leave my tmax at the rear of the building, near a public car park. It's covered up in bad weather but I never chain it. It's been out there for 8 years.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

This sort of thing is so fluid. With cars you may - or may not, depending on the insurer - get a discount for parking on your drive, as it both reduces the chance of a passing swipe by a careless driver and means a thief knows which house to nick the keys from. You just can't win.

Any space for a small shed out front? I have seen basic, normal wooden sheds as well as dedicated metal huts used to keep a bike under cover.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Pete07bikes wrote: recently sold my Forza 300

Bollocks !!!!! did I miss the advert :(
Have wheels, will travel :D

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

My small cc scooters/bikes all cost more to insure than the bigger toys (hence they are now all gone & 600cc the tiny bike)
Try a quote using the reg of your sold Forza see how sensible (or not it is) with no NCD

Pete07bikes
Benefactor

Post by Pete07bikes »

Hi The Bern,
No I decided to try it on e-bay and was pleasantly surprised with the £1,760 it made
Pete
Honda CB500-XA

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Pete07bikes wrote:Hi The Bern,
No I decided to try it on e-bay and was pleasantly surprised with the £1,760 it made

Hey ho, you could have tried on here first bud, I was looking for one, you might have been 'pleasantly surprised' by how much I would have paid for one with known history, there was me thinking forums had 'community spirit' not just to find answers to your own problems.
Have wheels, will travel :D

Pete07bikes
Benefactor

Post by Pete07bikes »

That's a fair shout - TBH I didn't expect it would reach reserve, 53 minutes to go without a bid!
Pete
Honda CB500-XA

Alanzzg
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing

Post by Alanzzg »

The Bern wrote:
Pete07bikes wrote: recently sold my Forza 300

Bollocks !!!!! did I miss the advert :(
I think i saw it on ebay was it a white one with maxi Muppet sticker on the front.
Member of The Ugly Bunch -2
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly,