250cc Scooter ??

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Graham G
Current Ride: None

250cc Scooter ??

Post by Graham G »

After the responses to my Sum 200 Symphony/Fiddle(which turned out to be 170cc)thread.
I've decided a need a bit more engine,so i'm looking at 250cc Scooters,in particular X-City/X Max & Vespa GTS,the 2 yamahas appeal because of the lower used value & are a bit newer for the same price range & I still have the feeling i'd prefer the bigger wheels,but the Vespa is the classic scooter shape,which always appeals to my old age views :) .
Any thought or opinions will be gratefully received,i have no idea about scooters,but for my present transport circumstances a scooter would work better than a motor bike,plus i'm beginning to like the idea :mrgreen:

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Re: 250cc Scooter ??

Post by horobags »

look into the honda sh 300, big wheels, 80 mph, 80 mpg, very reliable, very enjoyfull to ride, great brakes and handling, lots of good used examples available.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Aye up Graham G. I currently own 2014 Yamaha YP250R X Max. No longer needed for commuting purely for lesuire. It's happy at motorway speeds but not a lot left reserve for accelerating from this speed. However for 98% of the time it is perfect for me. 90+ mpg easily achieve without any effort on my behalf. Handles as well as my last motorbike , a VRF800, and better than some of the other bikes I've owned. Comfortable even with my Rheumatoid Arthritis. Ample storage around scooter. Check out post by other owners on this forum. Xmax400Paul upgraded from a 250 to a 400 and his reviews are always informative and enjoyable.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yeah, more useful than a 125/200, though look into it, as there are a good range available with different types and power outputs - consider 300 or 350cc versions as well. There are some (eg old Yamaha engined 250s) that produce only around 18bhp which is OK, but is only around 75 flat out, whilst at the other end of the scale are things like the Piaggio Beverly 350 which produce almost 35bhp and are good for over 90! There are various types of bodywork as well from the small and compact like the SH300 (though for me far too cramped and uncomfortable), or the bigger more 'executive' models that have more space for luggage and people (and comfort & equipment).
The X-max/X-City are a good place to start (now in 300 and 400 versions), also worth checking out the Kymco Downtown 300/350 or its close cousin the Kawasaki J300. As always its worth asking yourself what you are going to do with these - are they just for round town, or are you going to want to do longer journeys on them? Are you likely to want to use dual-carriageways / M-ways occasionally or frequently? I'd advise you not to underbuy - you can never have enough power or space!!!!

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Wow! Muddy... Kind words...
250s...
Had a Gilly VXR200.... Leader engine, basis of the vespa...
Good fun scoot, good engine, the 250, or 300, can only be more so.
Some electrical gremlins, reg rec etc, and zorst rotted out...
Not sure if these have been addressed.
Vespa classic shape and fits all sizes, 6 footers and all, will need the top box..
Metal, Rust and a theif magnet... Get an insurance quote...

Xmax250... I had an early version split front and handle bar type fairing, rather than the bars turning in the fairing...
Great scoot, 85 real world mpg, loads of room under the seat...
Electrical gremlin, didi dash went weired...
Loved to eat front brake pads, but that might if been me...
PX'd when the 400 came out, swayed by more power and torque...
65mpg, got fed up after a couple of years with its fat arse on the commute, so it now does weekend duties...

SH125...
Scapel in traffic, slim, big wheel handling, need top box
Booring looks, but tool for the job...
300 is gonba be good...
If ya need more protection, A road or M way crusin' Forza?

Get out and sit on em...
That will sway you a little

Would live a Vespa in summer that turned in to a SH in winter...

Whatever you get, coming from bikes scoots are the future...
Enjoy and Welcome

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

XMax400Paul wrote:Would live a Vespa in summer that turned in to a SH in winter...
Maybe the other way round? I recall riding the SH as being as windblown as being on a small dinghy in a big storm!

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

SH300 has the bonus of having ABS. Most of the others won't.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Have to agree that the honda sh300i is the way to go - I bought mine with nominal milage however in less than two years I've now covered over ten thousand miles - without feeling like being in a dinghy in a storm may I add - electronic fuel injection - combined antilock brakes - sixteen inch wheels - I frequently return over eighty five miles per gallon reaching a top speed of close on ninety miles per hour - reliability has been spot on and I can easily service the bike myself with a basic tool kit - service items are cheap as are replacement tyres - the sh300i is a genuine step through scooter with a flat floor which makes mounting and dismounting a cinch - if you suffer from arthritis this is a genuine bonus - folk may say I'm bias as I currently own an sh300i however I've previously owned BMW adventure motorcycles - Honda hornet and Honda cbf1000 and scooters by Gilera and Sym - I have no reservation in recommending a Honda sh300i to any rider

Graham G
Current Ride: None

Post by Graham G »

Symcity wrote:Have to agree that the honda sh300i is the way to go - I bought mine with nominal milage however in less than two years I've now covered over ten thousand miles - without feeling like being in a dinghy in a storm may I add - electronic fuel injection - combined antilock brakes - sixteen inch wheels - I frequently return over eighty five miles per gallon reaching a top speed of close on ninety miles per hour - reliability has been spot on and I can easily service the bike myself with a basic tool kit - service items are cheap as are replacement tyres - the sh300i is a genuine step through scooter with a flat floor which makes mounting and dismounting a cinch - if you suffer from arthritis this is a genuine bonus - folk may say I'm bias as I currently own an sh300i however I've previously owned BMW adventure motorcycles - Honda hornet and Honda cbf1000 and scooters by Gilera and Sym - I have no reservation in recommending a Honda sh300i to any rider
Thanks,is your SH300 a new generation,or the older model?,a new one is out of my price range,i'm going to try & pick up as new as possible for as low price as possible.
At the moment a 2010 X -City250 with 15K miles & £1,500 is looking a good buy & a way in to scooters,for a modest outlay,any thoughts on the X City?.
Thanks for all the replies.

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Sorry Graham I have no experience of the yamaha scooter though they appear to be a decent machine - there is a nice one owner on autotrader at the moment at the following link https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... ate&page=1
My sh300i is a 2011 model pictured here on first day of ownership