250cc Scooter ??

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: 250cc Scooter ??

Post by MrGrumpy »

I'm clearly out of step with the rest of the world about the SH....I found it terribly uncomfortable and grew to dislike it intensely! Superb engine though! On a practical point, the early versions have got no useful underseat storage, if that's a requirement. Honda sell a nice topbox, but its not the same...

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

MrGrumpy wrote:On a practical point, the early versions have got no useful underseat storage, if that's a requirement. Honda sell a nice topbox, but its not the same...
Yes mr grumpy - that's the very topbox fitted to my scooter - complete with integrated passenger backrest

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Symcity wrote:Sorry Graham I have no experience of the yamaha scooter though they appear to be a decent machine - there is a nice one owner on autotrader at the moment at the following link https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... ate&page=1
My sh300i is a 2011 model pictured here on first day of ownership
that looks mint, how could you not like the sh300????????? :mrgreen:
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Graham G
Current Ride: None

Post by Graham G »

Thanks Symcity,that looks very nice,i'm now researching the older SH300,earlier versions are getting down to my(self imposed)budget & it's got a few more BHP than the X City :)
Also just realise no nods for the Vespa GTS250/300,surprised,I think it is the iconic scooter,but a decent one would be over my budget anyway.

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

Graham G wrote:Also just realise no nods for the Vespa GTS250/300,surprised,I think it is the iconic scooter,but a decent one would be over my budget anyway.
You'd be surprised how affordable they are and fairly easy to find mint ones. They keep value better than most but they made/make quite a few and so have no rarity or bubble premium. A good buy.

Probably no one said anything as they are a slightly different direction from regular maxis. but I think you'll find everyone here including me thinks they are ace, and possibly more fun to ride than anything else.

Beware of a tall seat, awkward pillion footrest position and getting it stolen.

Graham G
Current Ride: None

Post by Graham G »

I'm only 29" inseam,but I have test sat a GTS300 & I was ok with it,i thought stealing Vespas was mostly restricted to London & hooded scumbags.
Awkward pillion footrest position?,the boss would have to have the occasional ride on the back & she has to be ok with it,
HAS TO BE :mrgreen:

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

horobags wrote: that looks mint, how could you not like the sh300????????? :mrgreen:
Well looks are one thing (though the bigger Vespas are far better looking), but riding's another. I fully realise that I seem to be unique in this, but I found it cramped, uncomfortable, and freezin' cold in winter. Maybe I just can't get on with Hondas - I must admit I seem to rather Hondaphobic! However, it was quite fun to be doing silly speeds on the outside lane of a dual carriageway on what looked like a Pizza delivery bike passing 'proper' bikers!! The Bev 350ST is in many ways a similar scoot and had possibly even better performance, far better wind protection from the fairing, decent luggage space and was marginally more comfortable, though worse handling.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Globs wrote:
Graham G wrote:Also just realise no nods for the Vespa GTS250/300,surprised,I think it is the iconic scooter,but a decent one would be over my budget anyway.
You'd be surprised how affordable they are and fairly easy to find mint ones. They keep value better than most but they made/make quite a few and so have no rarity or bubble premium. A good buy.
How much luggage space do they have under the seat? They do look nice - and come in a range of wonderfully whacky colours - but they've never really crossed my personal radar.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

wish I was a hondaphobic, I'd be a rich man! :lol:
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

horobags wrote:wish I was a hondaphobic, I'd be a rich man! :lol:

Very true Mark icon_th_rofl.gif