Scooter for a big bloke

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MattColchester

Scooter for a big bloke

Post by MattColchester »

Hello all,

I'm new to biking (albeit 20 years ago had a twist and go 50cc for a year) and looking for a 125cc scooter for trips around town/commuting/short trips when my wife has the car etc. Maybe the occasional trip out of town along A roads but for the most part, 5 miles or less. Got my CBT this weekend to get ready.

Ive spent quite a while researching on the Net and had narrowed it down to either PCX125/S Wing 125 or Honda Forza.
The PCX seems to have great reviews but the only catch is I'm 6foot 4 and seems I may be a bit too big for a PCX.
Heard great things about the S Wing as well and that seems to be a big enough unit but have heard this is very heavy and may not be suitable for a beginner? Also the Forza sounds great but seems to be holding its value very well and I dont really want to spend £3k + on a bike only for me to drop it and lose a lot of that whilst I'm still getting used to it?

Any thoughts on the PCX/S Wing/Forza for a new rider of my size? Any other recommendations?
I'm hopefully going to get to a dealership at some point and sit on some of these and see whats comfortable but interested to hear your opinions on this.
Thanks,
Matt

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Re: Scooter for a big bloke

Post by Bluebottle »

I vote the S-Wing because it is roomier
Maybe a bit dated but one of the comfiest seats I've ever come across and good weather protection. Very reliable, faster and more luxurious than a PCX and longer lasting.

I wouldn't worry about the weight, it looks heavier than it is because of all that bodywork.
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

Somebody posted a helpful link, that gives an impression of the fit.

http://cycle-ergo.com/
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

Bluebottle wrote:I vote the S-Wing because it is roomier
Maybe a bit dated but one of the comfiest seats I've ever come across and good weather protection. Very reliable, faster and more luxurious than a PCX and longer lasting.

I wouldn't worry about the weight, it looks heavier than it is because of all that bodywork.
Thanks Bluebottle. I think I am leaning towards S Wing. Is there a particular year that I should be looking for? I see a lot of ex delivery bikes on Gumtree especially. Are these best avoided? Is there a sweet spot in terms of mileage I need to be looking for? If you have any examples of good deals on eBay or gumtree, I would appreciate a link. Would rather not spend more than £1500 on first bike.
Thanks again.

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

Whatsisname wrote:Somebody posted a helpful link, that gives an impression of the fit.

http://cycle-ergo.com/
Thanks for that. I had actually come across that link before, very useful. Think I do need to actually sit on a few and try them out as well.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

When I got back into biking after a break of 20 years or so, I started off on a Honda Pantheon 125. Perfect size for a big bloke. Plenty of room under the seat too. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-FES125- ... SwyXhZ03PX
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

If you do get a bike use Mot a bike in Colchester. It's by screw fix in Greenstead Road.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Andy1730
Current Ride: Yiying

Post by Andy1730 »

i also have had this problem and i went for the swing im 6ft2 and dont feel a complete tit on it mine is a 2014 model and have had no issues yet

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

The Forza is the much better scoot, with the S-wing not far behind. For a start they have more power and are bigger and better engineered. The PCX is a very little thing. The Forza/S-wing are Honda's premium product whilst the PCX is pitched lower in the market.