Scooter for a big bloke

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MattColchester

Re: Scooter for a big bloke

Post by MattColchester »

Just to update this. I’ve met and enjoyed a memorable encounter with a Suzuki SV650s 27k miles, 2004 plate. 1500 quid. I wasn’t expecting to go for this but I did the look of her in blue. The owner offered to put 12 months MOT after new tyres and pads. I was due to meet her tomorrow morning when she was to be delivered to my door. However, I received a sad phone call today. On the way back from MOT, one of the mechanics dropped her at low speed. Smashed indicator and scuff marks on the fairing apparently. The owner has now said he will repair the indicator and I can have it for a grand. I’m still considering it but probably will go for it, a little scuff mark here and there can’t be that bad, hey.

I still want a Burgman but figure I can always go back to one after a year and it would be good to make sure I can still ride a geared bike. Sorry to disappoint I won’t be joining you just yet chaps but I will be back one day. Thanks for all your support and messages.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

I have a new Suzuki indicator for one of them, can't remember if it's left right front or back or what model as two were fitted to the early bikes.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

On the way back from MOT, one of the mechanics dropped her at low speed
Why was a mechanic riding it ?
Never once in 45 years of taking any vechiles for an MOT has my vechile been taken out by a mechanic.
On the 6000 mile service of my scooter I was sat in a nearby cafe having a brew , whilst waiting for the service to be completed , and saw my scooter come past with the mechanic riding it. I got back to the service department before my scooter and explained to the manager what I had witnessed. Asked for a valid reason why an unauthorized road test was required and as no answer could be given I ended up with a free service and the mechanic a written warning. Needless to say never went back there again.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

In my experience, many mechanics will take a bike/scoot that they've serviced out for a quick road test - to make sure they've done everything correctly, its safe to ride and to check that its working correctly. The Piaggio dealer in York seemed especially keen to road test the Bev before handing it back to me....much to my annoyance as I was usually tired out and mad keen to get back on the road home!

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

So after all of this MattColchester decides to buy a motorcycle

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Symcity wrote:So after all of this MattColchester decides to buy a motorcycle
And I hope he enjoys it.

Point is he knows who & where we are and will "spread the word" & return another time.

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

He's still welcome. Doesn't matter what two wheels you have or if you don't have a bike at all.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

Dont know if anyone here remembers this thread (coming up 6 years now), reading this thread certainly brings back the memories. but I sold my vtwin a couple years ago, so I could transport my boy about in a car, but missing the 2 wheeled life ever since. I have found myself looking again at scooters and watching Burgman videos on YT and I think I need to finally scratch the itch of getting a Burgman, maybe 400 or 650. I hear the prices for used bikes is dropping at the moment with the way things are at the moment. If anyone sees a decently priced Burgman 400 or 650 preferably in the East Anglia region, please let me know. I know Colchester Kawasaki had/have 400/650 in, so when I can get my lid in storage back from my sisters, I will hopefully back on the road on 2 wheels even if just for a test ride. Stay safe all and thanks again for those who responded to this.

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

The trouble with owning any maxi-scooter is that the damn things are just so handy and capable, they spoil you as you don't need anything else for real world riding.

I sold my Yamaha R1 to buy my Tmax and wondered if I was doing the right thing......

Turns out, my other bike (BMW R1250GS Adventure) hardly gets ridden whereas my Tmax gets used daily for everything.

A mate bought a Burgman 400 at roughly the same time and agreed the same with me.

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

Pukmeister wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:26 am The trouble with owning any maxi-scooter is that the damn things are just so handy and capable, they spoil you as you don't need anything else for real world riding.

I sold my Yamaha R1 to buy my Tmax and wondered if I was doing the right thing......

Turns out, my other bike (BMW R1250GS Adventure) hardly gets ridden whereas my Tmax gets used daily for everything.

A mate bought a Burgman 400 at roughly the same time and agreed the same with me.
I've read plenty of good things about the Tmax. Yeah, I think more people are seeing the benefits of scooters in general maybe? I think the 650 at Colchester Kawasaki has gone as its no longer listed. Just need to find a decently priced alternative now...