Scooter for a big bloke

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Re: Scooter for a big bloke

Post by Steve_D »

Can you get a Forza or S-wing within the OP's budget, £1,500?
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Matt
21stMoto Swanley) have/had an S wing on the forecourt (which I believe belonged to SteveW).

Try Hythe Hill motorcycles they have a lot of stock in the building to the left of the entrance (but there is some "sheds" amongst it)

Newcombes in Chelmsford has the odd pearl & I believe the old man has now retired (miserable git)

Colchester Kwak occasionally has the occasional Vespa ET4 turn up (believe the last one now sold)

Richie1st I think is your height and he'll rave the SH125.

Private always gets you more than dealership so be prepared to wait and you may be surprised.

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

smeghead wrote:http://www.thescooterwarehouse.co.uk/Ne ... 125cc.html

Or you could get a new one!

Thanks for reply. I really don’t want to spend more than I need to and certainly not on a new bike when I’m getting used to being on motorised two wheels again. Do like the look of blue and white Forza though!
Steve_D wrote:When I got back into biking after a break of 20 years or so, I started off on a Honda Pantheon 125. Perfect size for a big bloke. Plenty of room under the seat too. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-FES125- ... SwyXhZ03PX
Thanks for reply. That’s not a bad shout actually, was looking at some today online. Anything I should be looking out for or avoiding particularly on the Pantheon?
mottza wrote:If you do get a bike use Mot a bike in Colchester. It's by screw fix in Greenstead Road.
Thanks for reply. Will keep that in mind. You local then?
Andy1730 wrote:i also have had this problem and i went for the swing im 6ft2 and dont feel a complete tit on it mine is a 2014 model and have had no issues yet
Thanks for reply. That’s good to hear. How much did you pay if you don’t mind me asking?
MrGrumpy wrote:The Forza is the much better scoot, with the S-wing not far behind. For a start they have more power and are bigger and better engineered. The PCX is a very little thing. The Forza/S-wing are Honda's premium product whilst the PCX is pitched lower in the market.
Thanks for reply. I’ve heard the S Wing can feel a bit heavy but it sounds like it’s ticking the boxes for me.
Steve_D wrote:Can you get a Forza or S-wing within the OP's budget, £1,500?
Thanks for reply. I think I’ve seen a few S Wings for just about £1500 but I don’t know if the higher mileage ones should be avoided?

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

Scootypuff snr wrote:Matt
21stMoto Swanley) have/had an S wing on the forecourt (which I believe belonged to SteveW).

Try Hythe Hill motorcycles they have a lot of stock in the building to the left of the entrance (but there is some "sheds" amongst it)

Newcombes in Chelmsford has the odd pearl & I believe the old man has now retired (miserable git)

Colchester Kwak occasionally has the occasional Vespa ET4 turn up (believe the last one now sold)

Richie1st I think is your height and he'll rave the SH125.

Private always gets you more than dealership so be prepared to wait and you may be surprised.
Thanks for reply. That’s great, sound like you’re from around here? Was planning on going to Honda Ipswich soon as they have an S Wing there but I’ll try Hythe Hill first. actually doing my CBT on Saturday at Kawasaki Colchester so will have a look there. Heard some great things about the SH. Might investigate that and the Pantheon tonight a bit more. I’m happy to wait, think the winter may unearth one or two good deals hopefully.

Thanks all.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Matt
Honda Ipswich very helpful but do ask top money.

If your visiting a dealer and want some tyre kicking advice ( I offer no guarantees or warranty) having bought the odd shed myself let me know & if I can rock up & help

Some dealers had small Hondas in 0%

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

Scootypuff snr wrote:Matt
Honda Ipswich very helpful but do ask top money.

If your visiting a dealer and want some tyre kicking advice ( I offer no guarantees or warranty) having bought the odd shed myself let me know & if I can rock up & help

Some dealers had small Hondas in 0%
Blimey, that’s very kind of you. May well take you up on that, many thanks.
I have had my eye on this S Wing, what do you think? 2012 plate, 23k miles, well maintained by the sounds of it, £1695?

Http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-FES-125 ... SwC~dZ2gJV

Edit - I do like the white S Wing as well
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-HONDA-FE ... Swqd1Zw9kG
, this one 2013, 30k though, 1795?

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Looks clean (I always like a bike/scooter photographed dry) than a wet machine attempting to make the paintwork blossom.

I would guess a rider or commuter bike by the mileage (No bad thing as regular servicing/maintainence a good thing) Guides seem to class 2K a year as a hobby bike. Check V5 for previous owners

Defo worth a trip, (test rides aren't always forthcoming especially with L plates)

Cash can be a hard bargaining tool (start with £1500) in £20s looks good.

I like white scooters but higher miles with additional dealer cost. Try Woodbridge first.

I'm sure more experienced mechanic types will offer advice

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

S-wings have been around a while, so probably available at all price points, whilst Forza 125 is pretty new, so may not have come down to £1500 yet. I think the S-wing and the Pantheon are pretty similar technically (as are a couple of other Honda scoots) as they all share the FES model designation

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Don't rule out a Yamaha 125 X Max.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

For that £1500 you should be able to pick up a later S wing 125. I owned one and found it very roomy and quick enough with great under seat storage too. It was this bike that hooked me on scooters these last 10 years (and perhaps this geriatric forum too :D ).

Forza 125 is more cramped than you'd think and no more cramped than the X max 125. I've just bought a new N max 125 which has more feet-forward room than any of these newer scoots - I spent the summer jumping on and off as many 125s as possible! I'm not suggesting the N max though, as it may still be too pricey as a used buy.

S wing is a good choice.