Scooter for a big bloke

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MattColchester

Re: Scooter for a big bloke

Post by MattColchester »

Scootypuff snr wrote:Looks clean (I always like a bike/scooter photographed dry) than a wet machine attempting to make the paintwork blossom.

I would guess a rider or commuter bike by the mileage (No bad thing as regular servicing/maintainence a good thing) Guides seem to class 2K a year as a hobby bike. Check V5 for previous owners

Defo worth a trip, (test rides aren't always forthcoming especially with L plates)

Cash can be a hard bargaining tool (start with £1500) in £20s looks good.

I like white scooters but higher miles with additional dealer cost. Try Woodbridge first.

I'm sure more experienced mechanic types will offer advice
Thanks Scooty. I did contact the Woodbridge one recently who advised they had only just reduced so I may just be patient and keep an eye on it. I like the S Wing in white but may just wait around for one to come up privately.
MrGrumpy wrote:S-wings have been around a while, so probably available at all price points, whilst Forza 125 is pretty new, so may not have come down to £1500 yet. I think the S-wing and the Pantheon are pretty similar technically (as are a couple of other Honda scoots) as they all share the FES model designation
Thanks Mr G. I have been researching the Pantheon, some great reviews, if I could find a low-ish miles private one, this could be ideal.
muddyfox wrote:Don't rule out a Yamaha 125 X Max.
Thanks Muddy, hmmm interesting although judging from Capt. below, may be too small for me.
Capt. R Swipe wrote:For that £1500 you should be able to pick up a later S wing 125. I owned one and found it very roomy and quick enough with great under seat storage too. It was this bike that hooked me on scooters these last 10 years (and perhaps this geriatric forum too :D ).

Forza 125 is more cramped than you'd think and no more cramped than the X max 125. I've just bought a new N max 125 which has more feet-forward room than any of these newer scoots - I spent the summer jumping on and off as many 125s as possible! I'm not suggesting the N max though, as it may still be too pricey as a used buy.

S wing is a good choice.
Thanks Capt. I think it’s between the Pantheon and the S Wing now for me. I know someone with a Honda car and they seem to go on forever so Honda seems a good choice. Just keeping an eye out.

Thanks again all. If anyone sees a decent used Pantheon or S Wing for reasonable price, please let me know. I’m keeping a look on eBay/Gumtree etc.

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

What about the one in the link I gave you earlier - it’s about your budget and low ish mileage?
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

MattColchester wrote:
Thanks again all. If anyone sees a decent used Pantheon or S Wing for reasonable price, please let me know. I’m keeping a look on eBay/Gumtree etc.
This may be worth a punt if bidding doesn't go to high (taking in van hire and distance)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2881087942

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

MattColchester wrote: Thanks Mr G. I have been researching the Pantheon, some great reviews, if I could find a low-ish miles private one, this could be ideal.
Don't forget that very early Pantheon's had some sort of clever 2-stroke engine, in an attractive touring style body, whilst later ones had a conventional 4 stroke engine, with less touring-looking body.

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

Steve_D wrote:What about the one in the link I gave you earlier - it’s about your budget and low ish mileage?

Ah yeah, thanks Steve. I did have a look at that. I just thought £1600 seemed a bit steep for a 12 year old Pantheon. I was thinking I could get a S Wing for that money. What do you think? Is that a reasonable price?
Scootypuff snr wrote:
MattColchester wrote:
This may be worth a punt if bidding doesn't go to high (taking in van hire and distance)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2881087942
Thanks Scooty. Yes I have had my eye on that but have seen the price shoot up already. What would you say was a decent price for that?

MrGrumpy wrote:
MattColchester wrote: Thanks Mr G. I have been researching the Pantheon, some great reviews, if I could find a low-ish miles private one, this could be ideal.
Don't forget that very early Pantheon's had some sort of clever 2-stroke engine, in an attractive touring style body, whilst later ones had a conventional 4 stroke engine, with less touring-looking body.
Thanks Mr G. I dont mind the appearance really. As long as its comfortable for my frame which it sounds like the S Wings will all be ok for me.

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

If it helps, the S-Wing was the replacement for the pantheon
S-Wings do hold their price so they cost a bit more than most 125's - but their is a good reason for that.
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

Bluebottle wrote:If it helps, the S-Wing was the replacement for the pantheon
S-Wings do hold their price so they cost a bit more than most 125's - but their is a good reason for that.
Thanks Bluebottle, they do hold their price, dont they.
Ive seen this S wing- 19k miles, 2011 for £1395..its in white as well which I think looks ok.
What do you reckon? They want £130 for delivery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-FES125- ... SwkglZy7sf

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

Sound good but I'm out of touch with prices of anything - and I'd want to see it and where it is coming from
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Looks clean and not bad value. Will you be putting many miles on it.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

Bluebottle wrote:Sound good but I'm out of touch with prices of anything - and I'd want to see it and where it is coming from
That’s the issue I’m finding, a lot of these bikes are a long distance away. I don’t really want to spend a lot of time and money travelling to the other side of the country for a first bike. And then it’s the cost of hiring a courier to get it back.
mottza wrote:Looks clean and not bad value. Will you be putting many miles on it.
Not many miles really, it’ll be mainly around Colchester. Maybe the occasional weekend trip up to Bury/Thetford way in the summer.