Scooter for a big bloke

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Re: Scooter for a big bloke

Post by Steve_D »

MattColchester wrote:
Steve_D wrote:What about the one in the link I gave you earlier - it’s about your budget and low ish mileage?

Ah yeah, thanks Steve. I did have a look at that. I just thought £1600 seemed a bit steep for a 12 year old Pantheon. I was thinking I could get a S Wing for that money. What do you think? Is that a reasonable price?
Well, it is a bit high but I was thinking more about the mileage. Personally, I’d always prefer to pay slightly over the odds for an older, low mileage bike/vehicle rather than buy a later 'bargain' model with higher miles. A first bike is likely to pick up a few scratches (or even the odd low-speed drop) so body work would not be much of a consideration to me, it’s the mechanicals that are going to get you around. At the end of the day only you can decide but don’t rush - it’s getting colder and they may be getting cheaper and more plentiful!
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

Scootypuff snr wrote:Matt
21stMoto Swanley) have/had an S wing on the forecourt (which I believe belonged to SteveW).

Try Hythe Hill motorcycles they have a lot of stock in the building to the left of the entrance (but there is some "sheds" amongst it)

Newcombes in Chelmsford has the odd pearl & I believe the old man has now retired (miserable git)

Colchester Kwak occasionally has the occasional Vespa ET4 turn up (believe the last one now sold)

Richie1st I think is your height and he'll rave the SH125.

Private always gets you more than dealership so be prepared to wait and you may be surprised.
Yep,i do 6"3" and it fits me,am on my 4th sh 125,pcx 125 did try one was very small in size,however have also Honda vision 110,and that's brilliant,fits me great too,and its cheaper/lighter/and also have a Suzuki Address ah110 This is a bit taller then the vision 110,but narrowier, not too very many around,but its quicker then the vision and only [just] behind the sh 125.Look on e-bay and mcn web-site.
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

Steve_D wrote:
MattColchester wrote:
Steve_D wrote:What about the one in the link I gave you earlier - it’s about your budget and low ish mileage?

Ah yeah, thanks Steve. I did have a look at that. I just thought £1600 seemed a bit steep for a 12 year old Pantheon. I was thinking I could get a S Wing for that money. What do you think? Is that a reasonable price?
Well, it is a bit high but I was thinking more about the mileage. Personally, I’d always prefer to pay slightly over the odds for an older, low mileage bike/vehicle rather than buy a later 'bargain' model with higher miles. A first bike is likely to pick up a few scratches (or even the odd low-speed drop) so body work would not be much of a consideration to me, it’s the mechanicals that are going to get you around. At the end of the day only you can decide but don’t rush - it’s getting colder and they may be getting cheaper and more plentiful!
Thanks Steve, I’m in no rush. Going to keep an eye out from now until February/March, see what comes up.

richie the 1st wrote:
21stMoto Swanley) have/had an S wing on the forecourt (which I believe belonged to SteveW).

Try Hythe Hill motorcycles they have a lot of stock in the building to the left of the entrance (but there is some "sheds" amongst it)

Newcombes in Chelmsford has the odd pearl & I believe the old man has now retired (miserable git)

Colchester Kwak occasionally has the occasional Vespa ET4 turn up (believe the last one now sold)

Richie1st I think is your height and he'll rave the SH125.

Private always gets you more than dealership so be prepared to wait and you may be surprised.
Yep,i do 6"3" and it fits me,am on my 4th sh 125,pcx 125 did try one was very small in size,however have also Honda vision 110,and that's brilliant,fits me great too,and its cheaper/lighter/and also have a Suzuki Address ah110 This is a bit taller then the vision 110,but narrowier, not too very many around,but its quicker then the vision and only [just] behind the sh 125.Look on e-bay and mcn web-site.
Thanks Richie, some new suggestions,I will investigate.

Just an update in case anyone is interested. I took my CBT today. It was on a geared bike, can’t remember the model but it was a Kawasaki almost motocross looking 125 bike. First time I’ve ever ridden a bike with gears.

I seemed to pick it up relatively quickly at first but lost a bit of confidence later, maybe got tired and once they brought in indicating and mirrors, it was a lot to think about after an hours training or so. The first part involved riding around a small off road section of the car park so it was quite tight getting up to 2nd gear. The second half was riding around Colchester, including that bloody Greenstead multiple roundabout and the town centre. I thought I did ok at but the instructor pulled me up on quite a few things. The clutch and gears seemed to involve most of my concentration so the positional awareness and observations suffered a bit. It was a lot more strict than the CBT I took in the 90s. I was in a group of 3 and one young lad didn’t make it to the on road bit.

It was close I think but I did pass in the end although the instructor did mark on the certificate it was on an automatic not manual as he felt my gear changes were ‘choppy’ but I gather this doesn’t make any difference as to what I can ride on 125. The instructor said I could come back when I get my scooter and he would take me out for an hour for free to see how I’m doing. Which was good of them I suppose. I enjoyed it, a lot to take in a day though.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yeah...gears aren't easy! It takes a fair amount of practice to get where gear changes are routine and stop being a distraction from actually riding. It all sounds hard - a CBT used to be a training course - this sounds like an exam! I eventually did my test on a geared bike, and managed OK, but even then wasn't 100% confident on a geared bike, and my very occasional rides one these days are pretty nerve racking! I'm much happier on a auto PTW. Of course, its a matter of practice...in a manual car, I don't even think consciously about changing gear.

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

MrGrumpy wrote:Yeah...gears aren't easy! It takes a fair amount of practice to get where gear changes are routine and stop being a distraction from actually riding. It all sounds hard - a CBT used to be a training course - this sounds like an exam! I eventually did my test on a geared bike, and managed OK, but even then wasn't 100% confident on a geared bike, and my very occasional rides one these days are pretty nerve racking! I'm much happier on a auto PTW. Of course, its a matter of practice...in a manual car, I don't even think consciously about changing gear.
Taking the actual tests seems like an impossible feat at the moment. I was hoping to get rid of the L plates ASAP and do the direct access course as soon as possible but I can see I’m going to need plenty more on road experience before even thinking about that. I can see me only doing it on an automatic bike at this rate. I needed about 15 car driving lessons before passing my test so I suppose this is no different. There is a lot to take in on a CBT nowadays if you’ve never ridden a manual bike before taking it on one.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Matt
Nice one a CBT pass is just that a pass.

Now get yourself on the road ASAP to get good habits into practice.

I also recommend picking up a copy of police road craft.

My club does L plate friendly ride outs and now winters here they will be short with a fried breakfast.

I'm happy to ride tail gunner and block myopic twats from crowding.

Keep us posted

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

Nice one a CBT pass is just that a pass.

Now get yourself on the road ASAP to get good habits into practice.

I also recommend picking up a copy of police road craft.

My club does L plate friendly ride outs and now winters here they will be short with a fried breakfast.

I'm happy to ride tail gunner and block myopic twats from crowding.

Keep us posted
Thanks Scooty. I’ll have a look for that book in the library (I’m a tight bugger and the wife spends enough of my money!). That’s a very kind offer. What is the club called btw? I’m keeping an eye open for used S Wings and Pantheons. There is one of the latter in Devon ending on the bay shortly but I think I should really view one before committing.

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

I’ve known people to fall off on CBT and still 'pass'. Talking of 'passing' a CBT, when I did mine many years ago, I was told that there were no 'fails' on the CBT as it was not a test. It was just Compulsory Basic Training and the instructor said that there was only one reason they could stop someone from completing the training and that was if they didn’t pass the eyesight test. Maybe they've changed them nowadays?

Just checked on Gov.uk and according to them ‘CBT isn’t a test that you pass or fail’ so if any CBT instructors give the impression that they have the power to pass or fail you, they’re just wannabe/failed riding examiners. :roll:

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

steve_h80
Current Ride: silverwing 600

Post by steve_h80 »

Matt if you're not in a rush to buy, and can afford it, why not spend the winter doing lesson and getting your full licence.
Learning to ride in the winter will make you a much better rider, I expect insurance will be less with a full licence and any bike dropping will be done on someone elses bike.
Come spring, armed with a full licence the world will be your lobster :-)
More to the point it will allow you to choose a larger bike, 125 are great for skinny yoofs but as a full grown adult you would most likely be a lot safer on something a little quicker.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

steve_h80 wrote:Matt if you're not in a rush to buy, and can afford it, why not spend the winter doing lesson and getting your full licence.
Learning to ride in the winter will make you a much better rider, I expect insurance will be less with a full licence and any bike dropping will be done on someone elses bike.
True, but there again, having your own scoot will enable you to get lots of practice and real-world experience - and the more experience you have will help towards passing your test.