Scooter for a big bloke

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
steve_h80
Current Ride: silverwing 600

Re: Scooter for a big bloke

Post by steve_h80 »

I'm not so sure about that MrG. Riding on your own you tend to pick up the wrong habits, to pass the test you need to be doing what the examiner expects (remember all those head checks, lifesavers, U turns etc).
A couple of my friends are trainers and constantly moan about this and how much harder it is to get trainees to unlearn the wrong habits.

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

Steve_D wrote:I’ve known people to fall off on CBT and still 'pass'. Talking of 'passing' a CBT, when I did mine many years ago, I was told that there were no 'fails' on the CBT as it was not a test. It was just Compulsory Basic Training and the instructor said that there was only one reason they could stop someone from completing the training and that was if they didn’t pass the eyesight test. Maybe they've changed them nowadays?
Well, it is ‘Compulsory Basic Training’ not Test but I got the distinct impression from the instructors that there was a definite limit to what they could accept in giving the certificate out at the end of the day. One of them said to me he didn’t want to be lying in bed thinking about someone in an accident as they had been given the CBT too readily.
steve_h80 wrote:Matt if you're not in a rush to buy, and can afford it, why not spend the winter doing lesson and getting your full licence.
Learning to ride in the winter will make you a much better rider, I expect insurance will be less with a full licence and any bike dropping will be done on someone elses bike.
Come spring, armed with a full licence the world will be your lobster :-)
More to the point it will allow you to choose a larger bike, 125 are great for skinny yoofs but as a full grown adult you would most likely be a lot safer on something a little quicker.
I have been thinking about that myself actually, before the CBT even. One reason is I do hate the sight of those L plates. Just think they look ugly and remind me of being 16 again... One of the instructors said he finds often other motorists treat bike riders with L plates with less respect than ‘normal’ riders. I think if I do go for the full licence, at this point, I’d need to do it on an automatic not a manual. But then I’d be restricted so..have to think about it. I’ve seen 5 day intensive training packages advertised. What do you think about those?

MrGrumpy wrote:
steve_h80 wrote:Matt if you're not in a rush to buy, and can afford it, why not spend the winter doing lesson and getting your full licence.
Learning to ride in the winter will make you a much better rider, I expect insurance will be less with a full licence and any bike dropping will be done on someone elses bike.
True, but there again, having your own scoot will enable you to get lots of practice and real-world experience - and the more experience you have will help towards passing your test.
That’s the option I was considering when I started this.
steve_h80 wrote:I'm not so sure about that MrG. Riding on your own you tend to pick up the wrong habits, to pass the test you need to be doing what the examiner expects (remember all those head checks, lifesavers, U turns etc).
A couple of my friends are trainers and constantly moan about this and how much harder it is to get trainees to unlearn the wrong habits.
I can see the logic in this. Have to have a think about it all.
Thanks all.

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

[quote="Steve_D"]I’ve known people to fall off on CBT and still 'pass'. Talking of 'passing' a CBT, when I did mine many years ago, I was told that there were no 'fails' on the CBT as it was not a test. It was just Compulsory Basic Training and the instructor said that there was only one reason they could stop someone from completing the training and that was if they didn’t pass the eyesight test. Maybe they've changed them nowadays?

Nothing's changed. I've just checked on the Gov.uk web site and according to them "CBT isn’t a test that you pass or fail" so if any CBT instructors give the impression that they have the power to pass or fail you, they’re just wannabe/failed riding examiners! :roll:

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

Alanzzg
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing

Post by Alanzzg »

When my son did his cbt there was a young lad there who couldn't get the hang of riding around the car park. So the trainer would not take him out on the road . he didn't fail the cbt but he did not comppete it .
So i suppose you can fail a cbt .
Member of The Ugly Bunch -2
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly,

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

Just an update - I’ve decided to do my full bike licence. I’ve found a good local instructor who I had a couple of hours out with today on a Honda NC750 and going to do DAS.

I found it easier on a bigger bike strangely enough, gear changes were lot smoother. Enjoyed it even in the pissing rain! I still like the thought of getting an S Wing. I actually went to Honda Ipswich today and sat on a few bikes, the PCX, Honda Vision 110, think it was a Forza and an S Wing. The PCX wasn’t too bad actually, had bit more space than expected. The Vision and Forza were too small, not enough room, especially on the Vision. The S Wing felt the best, most substantial etc. I suspect riding a scooter may feel somewhat strange after the 750 but sod it, I like the idea of a scooter, the storage etc and the clean lines of it for commuting etc, and the wife is happier with the idea of me on a scooter as well. I was doing 60 on the 750 and that felt plenty fast enough for me at the moment anyway.

Thanks again for your replies.

Matt

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

MattColchester wrote:Just an update - I’ve decided to do my full bike licence. I’ve found a good local instructor who I had a couple of hours out with today on a Honda NC750 and going to do DAS.
icon_wink-.gif

andyscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: gilera runner vxr200

Post by andyscooter »

keep a look out for a good gilera nexus 250 if you are doing full licence

bit more scoot for your money
or rarer still a gilera runner 200 would be ok

but think you may struggle going back to a 125cc after the big bike test
i was an atheist until i realised i am god
Remember its a speed limit not a target

gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

Scootypuff snr wrote:
MattColchester wrote:Just an update - I’ve decided to do my full bike licence. I’ve found a good local instructor who I had a couple of hours out with today on a Honda NC750 and going to do DAS.
icon_wink-.gif
Thanks Scooty icon_thumbs_up.gif
andyscooter wrote:keep a look out for a good gilera nexus 250 if you are doing full licence

bit more scoot for your money
or rarer still a gilera runner 200 would be ok

but think you may struggle going back to a 125cc after the big bike test
Thanks Andy, yep, I've decided not going to bother with a 125 although I do still really like the S Wing. Shame they dont make it in slightly bigger size..400 would be nice.
Anyway, I've pretty much decided on the bike I'm going for when I pass after a lot of research....Burgman 400 . Seems like it ticks all the boxes for me. Economical..reliable..storage..bit of power when I need it...relatively inexpensive...

Just to update this (Mods- if I shouldn't keep adding to this thread, please let me know)..I passed my theory test first time today at Wellington House on Butt Road(48 out of 50 on the multiple choice and 64 out of 75 on the hazard perception) which I was pretty pleased with.

Got more lessons tomorrow and Friday and then going for the Mod 1 test on Friday afternoon...its all coming pretty quickly but perhaps this is for the best, gives me less time to think about it and worry I suppose!

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

Well done on the pass.
The 400 burger is a good bike.
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

Bluebottle wrote:Well done on the pass.
The 400 burger is a good bike.
Thanks Bluebottle. The reviews all seem really positive. If I can afford it, I’ll try for a 2007/8 onwards model, heard these are better, slightly more power etc.