T Max 530 Mk 4 symptoms of a worn rear drive belt?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Re: T Max 530 Mk 4 symptoms of a worn rear drive belt?

Post by Pukmeister »

True it does, its a toothed belt. The idea is to lube the belt sides with a light spray of dry teflon, not the drive teeth themselves, in order to stop the squealing of metal on metal from the belt cords on the pulley.

My Mk3 has a chain drive so I don't have this issue, but if I did I would spray the rear of the belt/pulley on a noisy Mk 4 with a light mist of dry lube on the outside face of the belt not the inner toothed face, which should hopefully lubricate the belt edges and stop the noise. I wouldn't spray the drive teeth directly and would wipe any excess lube from the belt.

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

I have had many bikes with belt drive and never encountered the noise issue you t max owners are getting . I would presume that there is a space either side of the belt when on the pulley as to not allow the sides to suffer premature wear . I used to get 60k from a belt on average . My buell belt was under a lot of stress and never made noises but did have a sprung tensioner to keep all in place regardless of throttle position or hard acceleration.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yeah..I thought the idea of a belt was to be quiet smooth and low maintenance for cruiser types. Bring back the wet chain!

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Well careful application of ptfa seems to have cured it !!! Thanks pukemeister !!! Great stuff. Had to be really careful just to do the edges but all is well . Happy bunny !

Pukmeister
Benefactor

Post by Pukmeister »

As an afterthought, it might be worthwhile getting a straight edge or string and double checking the rear wheel alignment in the swingarm, ignore any swingarm preset markings which are often found to be inaccurate. Even a slight wheel offset to the left or right could accelerate belt wear prematurely, same as a chain.

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Ok still making this weird noise .As I say rides fine hers a you tube of the sound , its the little chirp you can hear after the blip of the throttle as the wheel comes to a top Any ideas please ?

Pukmeister
Benefactor

Post by Pukmeister »

It doesn't sound that bad in the video clip, although annoying noises can really grate in real life.

Could it be coming from an exhaust joint rather than the drive belt, thats what it sounds like to me on my Macbooks tiny speakers ? Are you 100% sure it is the belt making the noise ?? I guess another squirt of PTFE and a quick retest would confirm this.

FWIW I can hear a whistling on my Mk3 on the over-run, presumably from the primary drive belt. I have no prior experience of these bikes unlike yourself, so put it down to 'character'.

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Pukmeister wrote:It doesn't sound that bad in the video clip, although annoying noises can really grate in real life.

Could it be coming from an exhaust joint rather than the drive belt, thats what it sounds like to me on my Macbooks tiny speakers ? Are you 100% sure it is the belt making the noise ?? I guess another squirt of PTFE and a quick retest would confirm this.

FWIW I can hear a whistling on my Mk3 on the over-run, presumably from the primary drive belt. I have no prior experience of these bikes unlike yourself, so put it down to 'character'.
You could be right. I gave it a really good clean today , had a good look round , nothing to see. The exhaust has been on from 600 miles and looks like it might be blowing very slightly at the join so it could be that. I'm going to just get on with it . Next service is in 3000 miles so will have it stripped down . As I say it rides really well and maybe the noise has been there a while , I only noticed it after getting my ears cleaned out!! Cheers :mrgreen:

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

tmaxrobbo wrote:Ok still making this weird noise .As I say rides fine hers a you tube of the sound , its the little chirp you can hear after the blip of the throttle as the wheel comes to a top Any ideas please ?

Only just been able to listen to this. Firstly, I can barely hear any funny noise over the racket of the Akra exhaust!! :lol: And what noise I can hear sounds nothing like belt noise to me - at least nothing like squeals and squeaks that my mk4 used to make.

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor

Post by tmaxrobbo »

MrGrumpy wrote:
tmaxrobbo wrote:Ok still making this weird noise .As I say rides fine hers a you tube of the sound , its the little chirp you can hear after the blip of the throttle as the wheel comes to a top Any ideas please ?

Only just been able to listen to this. Firstly, I can barely hear any funny noise over the racket of the Akra exhaust!! :lol: And what noise I can hear sounds nothing like belt noise to me - at least nothing like squeals and squeaks that my mk4 used to make.
Thanks for that ! May just take the rear baffle out to drown out the noise completely !! :mrgreen: