T Max 530 Mk 4 symptoms of a worn rear drive belt?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

T Max 530 Mk 4 symptoms of a worn rear drive belt?

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Hi . Just wondered if anyone can help. My 2014 T max has developed a slight chirp/ squeel from the region of the rear drive when I slow down . Bike has 15000 miles on and has been regularly serviced . I have heard of belts going noisy at 28000 miles or so but not 15000 . Anyone had one go / wear out ? If so what sort of symptoms did you get ? Bike rides fine . Belt looks fine and not slack/ too tight . I have had my ears cleaned out so maybe its a noise I've not heard before ? Cheers Robbo :cry:

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: T Max 530 Mk 4 symptoms of a worn rear drive belt?

Post by MrGrumpy »

I got all sort of strange noises from the belt on my mk4 - pain in the a***! Though not those particular noises - I usually got squeals on part throttle - off throttle and on brisk acceleration it was OK, but trundling along at 30 it would be noisy - but the noises did vary over time. This started to happen when I'd done around 12000 miles. I don't know if it is a symptom of a worn out belt or not....but it was something I feared it was! Taking the belt off and refitting it would at least change the noise or reduce it for a bit. So Dunno. As on yours, the belt looked fine (though probably full of muck & dust), it drove fine, but the belt squealed irritatingly. And of course, the racket is bad enough with earplugs in, so goodness knows what it sounds like to passers by!
The temptation is to try a new one, but at £240 a go, maybe its best to grimace and bear it! I believer there are products around which are supposed to help, but can't remember what their names are, or whether they were tried on mine.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Sound like symptoms of a worn belt, as in rubber debris in the pulley or variator causing a slight slip / grip / slip...
So would say worn not worn out... a good clean or a blast with an (not too high a pressure) air line?
Does the belt case have any open area, small cut out you can give a blast?
I have 'borrowed' one of those Air in a tin / duster - for cleaning computer K'bds - and have given the scoot a quick air blast...
Maybe worth a try... rather than a full dismantle.

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Thanks chaps . I will take the cover off tonight and have a look . There are a few videos on You Tube showing how to do it , and will give it a clean cheers

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor

Post by tmaxrobbo »

This is an "Interesting way of taking the belt of !!

Liam
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Vespa Sei Giorni

Post by Liam »

That belt looks knackered!
This bloke takes the whole front unit off.

I thought these belts were supposed to last 50k plus?
So maybe that's why I prefer the older Tmax with a chain in oil.

Liam
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Vespa Sei Giorni

Post by Liam »

When the mk4 first came out there were people on the French tmax mania group complaining about ingress of water on the front pulley. Some of them said to use special marine grease. Not sure if Yamaha have sorted the problem.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Liam wrote: I thought these belts were supposed to last 50k plus?
So maybe that's why I prefer the older Tmax with a chain in oil.
Supposed to last the life of the scoot! Yes, the belt is a retrograde step compared to the wet chain.

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

I wanted a Mk 4 due to the belt which I perceived as a maintenance-free improvement over a chain. Instead I bought a Mk 3 and I am now hopeful it is robust and reliable. Those belts are damned expensive. I wonder if you could spray some belt dressing onto the belt to lubricate and quieten it like you would a fan belt or motor drive belt ?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Pukmeister wrote:I wanted a Mk 4 due to the belt which I perceived as a maintenance-free improvement over a chain. Instead I bought a Mk 3 and I am now hopeful it is robust and reliable.
A belt might be less maintenance compared to a conventional dry chain, but only maintenance the Tmax's wet chain needs is to change the oil every 12K. However as we've seen the BMWs with an apparently similar arrangement need the chain & sprockets replacing regularly at appalling cost. In theory, the Tmax belt requires little or no maintenance, but it seems to create more hassle than the old wet chain versions.