250cc Scooter ??Gilera Nexus ??

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Graham G
Current Ride: None

250cc Scooter ??Gilera Nexus ??

Post by Graham G »

Hi,in my quest to enter the Scooter world,i've decided on a 250(as per my other threads),I've found a Nexus 250,with reasonable miles for a reasonable price,i've never heard of one,is one of these worth considering??.
I will need to decide quick,at the price it's advertised for I think it will sell quick.
Cheers.

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Re: 250cc Scooter ??Gilera Nexus ??

Post by Symcity »

Gilera were purchased by piaggio in 1969 - the nexus was also made in a 500cc varient - good enough scooters and quite stylish

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Graham G. Have you Googled any reviews of this model ? Visited any owners forums ? Tried to source any parts for this model ?. Not trying to put a damper on things but these are the things that need considering. No good buying at a bargain price if scooter is expensive in terms of spares, reliability.As this is the 250 model I think it will be pre 2008 when the 300 was introduced. I am sure most members on here will agree Italian electrics are not the best in the world especially from this era. I understand your eagerness to buy and at the end of the day it's your money/choice but personally I would rather wait until something more main stream comes along. Would hate for you to be disappointed by a poor purchase and be put off scooters. Keep us updated.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

Agree with Muddy, it's cheap for a reason. If you were going for a Vespa I'd have more confidence as the spares and experts are everywhere, the Nexus sounds a bit old and niche to make it a practical proposition IMO.

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Post by kishan »

if its short distances then the vespa/piaggio GrandTerrismo should be a good practical bike but if longer distances then then gilera nexus (big brother of the runner) will do the job fine with comfort and space.
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

They were good looking, nice enough when new, but I don't think they had the greatest reputation. I wouldn't rush in....and don't think I'd be tempted. On the plus side, the Piaggio group have enormously improved their spare parts service in recent years - for current models at least!
Don't forget that every secondhand vehicle is for sale for a reason, and its cheap for a reason! Though of course it may be cheap cos its not popular with the likes of us!!!

Graham G

Post by Graham G »

Thank you Gentlemen.Your replies have confirmed my initial thoughts,i'll give it a miss.
I know this is the Maxi forum,but I think an SH300/X City/Vespa 250/300,would suit my intended use best,so i'll keep looking.
Cheers.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Graham G just out of interest was this Nexus as on Gumtree and scooter in Dingle ?
If so it was for sale £300 more in September by a seller named John and it's now for sale by Josh. Same photos in which you can make out two track suited "gentlemen". Definitely has bent rear brake lever and original mirrors have been replaced. Sellers other adverts are for two high end bicycles at below market price. It's surprising what information you can glean from photos if you are cynical enough.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Actually, the Nexus 250 isn't a bad bike to buy. Based mostly on the X9 it uses the same Quasar engine and transmission seen in most of the Piaggio and Vespa family as well as in Peugeots.

I had 3 Quasar engined Pugs and all ran well beyond 20k miles without much work (although budget for clutch at around 22k miles).

The electrics will be as good or as bad as any Piaggio or Vespa and will depend mostly on how it's been looked after.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Graham G

Post by Graham G »

Hi,Muddyfox.No it is/was at a dealer locally.