New Crash helmet?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Scootypuff snr

New Crash helmet?

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Having found cheap lids for Malta I came across these.

I'm under no illusions on quality/kite mark but ordered one just for the hell of it

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2806373493

wilsonsteve
Benefactor

Re: New Crash helmet?

Post by wilsonsteve »

That link isn't working for me.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Works for me....though I hope you don't get to crash test it!

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

MrGrumpy wrote:Works for me....though I hope you don't get to crash test it!
Me neither made from wall paper paste. It's a travel pot for countries like India where helmet not compulsory (except on major roads)

Davefirestorm
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by Davefirestorm »

Your old school cap would offer as much protection lol

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

I wouldn't condemn it before Scootypuff has had a chance to see the helmet. It is staggeringly cheap at £7.99 and that includes postage from China, unbelievable when you consider that the postage alone for such a bulky item must take up a lot of the cost so I hope it's not a scam.

What he may find is that import duty makes it considerably more expensive because they have a minimum charge so the duty could easily come to more than the original price in the case of low value items like this. I recently bought some bike stuff online from the USA for about £50 but was suprised to find I had to pay about another £16 in duty so it turned out to cost a bit more than I thought. I didn't think they would bother with import duty on small value goods but they did.

But even if some duty is levied it will still be incredibly cheap. Whether it's worth it or not remains to be seen. And so what if it's shit, it aint gonna break the bank and I understand the curiousity to see what kind of helmet you can possibly get for such little money.

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Post by kishan »

i wouldnt put that on my head might aswell wear a plastic bag on my head and jump on the bike and ride.
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

I to came unstuck by buying from the US, a screen, it was less than half
price in the US and a friend got one without problems but mine although
no duty was levied was unpacked and repacked to check what it was this
doubled the price, was still wining but only just, never had a problem with
China though, and I too am interested in what the out come is. personaly
I think it may be better than expected.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

abitmad wrote: But even if some duty is levied it will still be incredibly cheap. Whether it's worth it or not remains to be seen. And so what if it's shit, it aint gonna break the bank and I understand the curiousity to see what kind of helmet you can possibly get for such little money.
But the snag is that whilst you can assess looks and comfort for yourself, the most important feature of a helmet is safety in a crash, and if its really crap then you only find that out in a real crash! I recall an article in MCN or somewhere on helmets, albeit a few years ago, and some independent tester said that he saw some 'real horrors from China' , and even some that actually were ECE22-05 certified were really poorly designed and fudged to meet the test standards. On the other hand, stuff from China can be decent and really cheap eg my replacement Tmax radiator - less than 15% of the Yamaha price. But having my £60 Chinese radiator fail is an inconvenience, but having your £8 helmet fail could be rather more disastrous.....

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

kishan wrote:i wouldnt put that on my head might aswell wear a plastic bag on my head and jump on the bike and ride.
I wore a T shirt wrapped around my head touring India to stop my skull burning