New Crash helmet?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
rossm
Current Ride: SH300-R1-Z1000

Re: New Crash helmet?

Post by rossm »

Anything coming in from outside the EU if less than £32 (including the postage) there are no import taxes/fees to pay.

As for Chinese helmets I bought a Simpsons Bandit replica (really should stay off of ebay after being on the beers) and you can flex the shell with your hands easily, really wouldn't want to crash in it
Yamaha R1, Kawasaki Z1000, Honda SH300i

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Surely as safety equipment it has to pass the SHARP test for impact resistance, cheap or not? :?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

2wheelover51 wrote:Surely as safety equipment it has to pass the SHARP test for impact resistance, cheap or not? :?
No, Sharp tests are purely for info. Helmets have to meet EU standard ECE2205 to be sold legally here - though I guess if you buy something from China via Fleabay, it may sidestep that - or maybe its described as a rain protection, not crash protection!! :lol:
Presumably if it isn't ECE2205 certified, it wouldn't count as a crash helmet, so if you wore one on the road, the Police could charge you with not wearing a helmet.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

I'm really touched by everyone's concern about my noggin :kiss:

I've no doubt it will NOT have any EC or British kite Mark standard (perhaps a fake like the "road legal" race cans)

However I have no intention riding with it in the UK (it's purely a travel lid for other lands). Also if there is duty I won't be stumping up.

It was a cheap curiosity buy that doesn't get here till November because the bamboo sap has to harden once its moulded into a head shape :lol:

I will keep folk updated though

andyscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: gilera runner vxr200

Post by andyscooter »

so does hitting your head not hurt as much in other countries then ?

I would have thought a better helmet would be way forward as they tend to have shitter driving tests so not as good at driving
i was an atheist until i realised i am god
Remember its a speed limit not a target

gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

andyscooter wrote:so does hitting your head not hurt as much in other countries then ?
I would have thought a better helmet would be way forward as they tend to have shitter driving tests so not as good at driving
Freedom of choice fortunately & when in Rome.

As for the driving standards I would seriously question that one as an M25 user on a regular basis not to mention the myopic in London

I actually feel safer riding in Asia than here

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Now this is a good subject to discuss, Im always wearing protective clothing, but on my annual trip to Goa , its t-shirts and normal jeans! :o
Yep, shame on me, but I just couldnt handle the heat over there with bike gear on, I know its wrong but I take me chances and accept any consequences. On my trip this year my tuppaware helmet blew off and ended up under a car coming the other way!! I only just avoided a fine on the way back by police ,I made a quick turn not to be seen.
I risk this for 2 weeks a year , the other 50 weeks I'm captain sensible.
Scooter puff,, I agree, much more relaxed riding in India, just use more forward planning.(and occasional arse clenching).
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

I always weare appropriate clothing but we all have different levels of risk that we are
prepared to accept, and wile I do cringe at the way some dress as long at they are not
endangering anyone else then it's OK by me, too many people trying to run others lives
as it is.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

You can get protective gear that is good in hot weather - whilst normal bike gear is designed to be wind proof, there is stuff that lets air through like mesh so is wearable in the heat. I have a Draggin' Jeans ultralight jacket (no idea if they still make them) that has a kevlar (part) lining and armour yet lets air go straight through. As you can imagine, I don't get to wear it that often in NE England! OK I haven't ridden it in Goa-like conditions, but it might be worth a try if you regularly ride in hot countries.