New Moto Guzzi

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Re: New Moto Guzzi

Post by smeghead »

My two Guzzi's were very reliable, as is my son in laws. I'd have another without giving it a second thought.

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Me too. I've had three Guzzis in the past, two V7s and a Cali, all excellent quality bikes. Of course one can't make a valid point about general brand quality based on an isolated personal good (or bad) experience, it's only really quantifiable over a large number of examples, but having owned three, this may be a small indication.

It's a pity they are such a minority brand in the UK, so much so that one of their leading dealers here, Corsa Italiana in South London, went out of business last year.

People perpetuate these stories about, eg. Italian bikes or Harleys, decades after they ceased to be true and in some cases may never even have owned one. I've had six Harleys, two Sportsters, two Road King Classics, an ElectraGlide and a Springer Softail. All were good quality machines. Again this is only personal so I accept that it is not necessarily applicable on a broad scale but the number I've owned may be an indication.

Having a good dealer helps too with any brand and, having owned loads of bikes from new over the years, I always try to locate those with a good reputation even if I have to go out of my way and avoid a nearer outfit. Did that with my new TMax DX I bought a few months ago. There's a Yam dealer about four miles away but I chose one about 25m away.

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

I,m glad you had good luck with your HD,s ,I love them but as I tried using them all year round they just corroded and fell apart ,yet was completely reliable . The quality over the last few years has now improved to a higher standard which it had to as they was loosing sales to the better quality competition . I would love another super glide .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Harleys do need to be looked after with regular cleaning and garaged in our damp climate. But if you do that, they shouldn't corrode and I used to ride all year round. If you don't keep them clean, I'd agree that they will probably deteriorate more rapidly than Japanese bikes.

Another Italian bike I had was a Piaggio Bev, when they introduced the new 350 model a few years back. It was owning that scooter that caused me to first join this forum, not having been much of a scooterist before that. There was never any electrics or any other problem and generally I found the Bev to be a superb scooter in every way, power, handling, controls etc. and again, I chose a good dealer. As before this is just my experience and not a scientific survey of Piaggio or general Italian quality.

Actually I was a bit put off the forum at the time by one reader, forget his handle, GN something maybe? He repeatedly knocked the new Bev, despite never having been near one, on the sole ground that he'd read somewhere that someone had tried out a knackered, unmaintained model that gave trouble. There was a certain nagging nastiness to his tone when he did this and it pissed me off.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

you probably mean GN2, he got banned for getting on everyones tits.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

alp231
Benefactor
Current Ride: X max 300

Post by alp231 »

smeghead wrote:My two Guzzi's were very reliable, as is my son in laws. I'd have another without giving it a second thought.
That has made my mind up going to buy a guzzi always fancied one

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

alp231 wrote:
smeghead wrote:My two Guzzi's were very reliable, as is my son in laws. I'd have another without giving it a second thought.
That has made my mind up going to buy a guzzi always fancied one
You'll love it. Buckets or character.