X-ADV v T MAX

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Scootypuff snr

X-ADV v T MAX

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Don't know if this has already been posted. I got sent it as don't have fb (but hopefully you can view via link.
I have to agree with the conclusion(s)

all-four-inches
Current Ride: 2013 T-Max 530 BlackMax

Re: X-ADV v T MAX

Post by all-four-inches »

better to watch it at the youtube channel, better quality:

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

I think, except for Vespa GTS videos, that the first comparison test I've ever watched all the way through. Personally I'd have the T-Max too.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Hmmm....they just can't get everything right, can they? Refers to being able to adjust the Tmax suspsension, but that's DX model only! He kept blabbering on about tiny details (eg the glove box) but at no point says if either or both were fun to ride, which is at least half the point of a review!

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

I tested these two bikes before deciding on my TMax DX so the vid was interesting.

Some points that occurred to me after watching it, first is that they don't comment on the relative seat heights. I'm 5' 8" and the X-ADV is impossibly high for me, I'd need a crane to get on and off it. I could not get both feet down and so found it a bit dodgy at stops, especially if there was an adverse camber to the road. The TMax is also quite high, but at least I can get just get both feet down on my toes. Maybe the tester was tall enough that none of that matters but for anyone my height or less, it will matter I think.

I forget if they mention it but the T is about 20kgs lighter than the X, and that may not include the ugly top box that is standard on the X because of its limited space so the difference may be a bit more. Weight matter to me as a wimpy old fart and incidentally the T is a vast 60kgs less than the Burger 650.

Another point in the film is the time wasted off roading. I suspect very few owners would be inclined to take either of these very expensive scooters on serious dirt so their capabilities in that regard are of little or no importance. Despite the X having the "ADV" handle and appearance I think it is is essentially a stying exercise though I do actually like it.

Had the X been of manageable height, it would have been a serious contender for me even though the T is much better specced, particularly in DX version which has so many attractive features over the basic model. I also prefer the auto gearbox of the X to CVT but not enough for it to be a deal breaker as the T is otherwise such an outstanding, great handling and comfortable bike.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I found it hard to test the X-ADV's handling on my test ride as it wasn't easy to find suitable roads, but it felt pretty good as far as I could tell. The Tmax handles superbly...I'm not sure about the 'remote' feeling the tester mentions. Both X-ADV and Tmax seem to offer excellent feel to me. The big snag for me with the X-ADV was the engine, which I didn't like, even though it is obviously a superbly practical and effective thing. Yes, the X-ADV is high! Though I could just get a foot down, though it seemed like a long way!