Scariest journey ever!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Re: Scariest journey ever!

Post by kayz1 »

I had one o those many years ago, do not remember if it was Schubert or the BMW version...but the visor was brilliant until it packed up at about three years. I think the lid new was around £360 ( a lot then ) but when i tried to get a new visor it was almost the same cost as a new lid from BM
And no other visor would fit the lid as the visor was about 10mm thick..but as you say very effective at the time..middle of winter going to the Elephant rally..
Lyn.

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

MrGrumpy wrote:firstly all the snow settled on my visor so I couldn't see anything, so I had to ride visor up, but then the snow kept going on my glasses, so visibility was awful!
I've had this before, yes, not ideal, I just kept wiping it off the visor but the visibility after is still not great. It does give a great sense of adventure though ;)

steve_h80
Current Ride: silverwing 600

Post by steve_h80 »

My little Suzuki has coped wonderfully with the proper snow we've had out here in the sticks. Posh german exec cars failing at the bottum of any incline, -2 degrees, occasional white outs of snow blowing across the road, but the little Suzuki just kept scampering on.
Mind you it does have 4 wheel drive.
You didn't think I was out on a bike did you?
:-)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Globs wrote: I just kept wiping it off the visor but the visibility after is still not great. It does give a great sense of adventure though ;)

I Know I'm a wimp, lack a sense of adventure and over cautious, but I do really like to see where I'm going or to at least glimpse the vehicle in front before I crash into it! :o

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

I recall riding in snow and fog in the late sixties and seventies, on my BSA250, Triumph 350 ,and later the Super dream 250. Many a ride home in two feet of snow and dense fog, I had a rubber wiper that fitted over your gloved finger to wipe the visor with, and a scarfe over your nose to catch the smog bits floating in the air. I could not afford a car so went everywhere by bike.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I think that the problem in this case was a particular sort of snow (!) - I wasn't able to clear it from my visor, at least whilst on a dual carriageway. Being relatively soft and claggy slow, it had formed into a sticky lump on the visor, which wasn't easily moveable, hence the need to ride with the visor open, which of course is nearly as disastrous. It was probably superb snowman making show....there again, its soft clagginess was probably why I didn't have any grip problems riding in it!

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

Agreed, the soft claggy stuff is the worst.

Also - getting back to snow - the soggy half-snow is the worst too, normal cold snow flakes just bounce off the visor or are deflected by the windscreen to make a nice pattern in the dark a little like riding through a star field.