Scariest journey ever!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Scariest journey ever!

Post by MrGrumpy »

Winter's here! Weather forecast said wintry showers here, snow on hills, rain/sleet at low levels. Foolishly went into Middlesbrough on old Tmax this morning and it started snowing, slightly settling. I thought this doesn't look good, so when the shower abated I thought I'd better abandon what I was doing and make a rapid retreat home, but as I did so the snow restarted with a vengeance! Not exactly full white out, but bad - and as I was on a dual carriageway main road, there was nowhere to stop! It was awful...firstly all the snow settled on my visor so I couldn't see anything, so I had to ride visor up, but then the snow kept going on my glasses, so visibility was awful! The amount of snow on the road kept increasing which was very worrying though I didn't actually have any grip problems, although of course I was going dead slow (going down the dual carriageway at 40 with trucks blasting past you wasn't fun either). Somehow I made it back, just as the sun came out....
Deeply unpleasant. Scary, though possibly the time I came across a sheet of ice covering the road whilst ascending a 15% gradient was scarier, though that was shorter! Roll on summer.....

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Re: Scariest journey ever!

Post by MrGrumpy »

The (old) Tmax is not getting cleaned until it warms up! Fortunately its looking warmer from Sat onwards.

rjc1944
Current Ride: 2009 Burgman 400

Post by rjc1944 »

It's even cold in Perranporth! There was frost on the car one morning last week and it got down to 4 degrees on our way home yesterday evening. Serious stuff for Cornwall.
2009 Burgman 400 in sunny Perranporth :D
Always seek the happy medium - she's out there, riding her scooter.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

4C? Poor dears! A snag I'm having is that I've been up and down to Essex a lot recently, and its always unusually mild (even for the South) in Essex when I'm there, and unusually cold up North when I return!

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

It briefly snowed on and off in Doncaster today, very cold though. Still the odd joker in town in shorts. Must be a Geordie on manoeuvres.

terryvanman
Benefactor

Post by terryvanman »

when I read all your posts about the cold I still wonder why the fuck I didn't move here the day after I retired 6 years ago.
22 degrees tomorrow then it's down hill to 15 most of the rest of the week. Might have to start wearing gloves ;)
http://www.maltaweather.com/
Dear God,
Please send clothes for all those poor ladies
in Daddy's computer. Amen

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Poor Terry. :)

Back here in Blighty, we had a light snowfall overnight and temps down to -1 on the way to work. There was even snow in central London just before lunchtime but it didn't really reach the ground.

Chilly again on the way home, so I was grateful to have the handlebar mitts and winter tyres fitted.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

terryvanman
Benefactor

Post by terryvanman »

My screen saver to remind me of London and try to stay away :lol:

Dear God,
Please send clothes for all those poor ladies
in Daddy's computer. Amen

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

Someone made the point on a Forza 125 forum that the Forza's LED headlights don't generate much heat, so he had to stop every few miles in the early morning dark to clear the un-molten snow off!
The law of unintended consequences strikes again...
1964 Matchless G3
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

I remember years ago that Schubert used to sell heated visors as accessories for their helmets. I always thought that was absurd, but it might have been useful yesterday! There again, riding really wasn't a sensible idea full stop.