Metropolis

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: Metropolis

Post by StephenC »

The Hybrid 3 and Hymotion concepts were better IMO. The latter was 3-wheel drive too, with electric motors up front and a 125cc at the rear.

Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

And who would buy such a machine? Nobody. Remember the BMW roofed scooter some years ago? A huge flop.

I agree with Meldrew above. Here's a new concept that beats those machines. It has four wheels, you can't fall off and if you do have an accident, you are massively less likely to be injured. It is totally enclosed for complete heated/air con weather protection. You don't have to wear a silly helmet or any other special gear, can listen to music or the radio, and can carry two or three passengers in the same comfort together with a lot of luggage.

In addition it costs no more than a top end maxi scooter to buy and is cheaper to run.

I'll call it a C-A-R, you heard it here first. Dunno if it will catch on though.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

abitmad wrote:And who would buy such a machine? Nobody. Remember the BMW roofed scooter some years ago? A huge flop.
Still see a couple around central London though. Loads to be seen a few years ago but obviously they are 15yrs old or so now.

Problem with your invention is that filtering is a bit of a booger. Perhaps if someone came up with a smaller vehicle, with one wheel behind the other to keep it slim, some storage for essentials, easy to operate (say just turning a lever to make it go and pull something to stop?), and well, what else do you need?
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I read somewhere a couple of years ago that C1s had become wildly popular in Europe for some reason, with them fetching silly prices! No idea why....

As for Abitmad's suggestion that we switch to these mysterious C.A.R. things, well, that's fine until I hit the first traffic queue when suddenly something narrow on 2 wheels suddenly becomes desirable!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well yes, obviously. My mistake was to believe the weather forecast that said it would rain round here, with snow at higher levels.

maxsymiser
Current Ride: Honda X-ADV750

Post by maxsymiser »

MrGrumpy wrote:I read somewhere a couple of years ago that C1s had become wildly popular in Europe for some reason, with them fetching silly prices! No idea why....

As for Abitmad's suggestion that we switch to these mysterious C.A.R. things, well, that's fine until I hit the first traffic queue when suddenly something narrow on 2 wheels suddenly becomes desirable!
Coincidence that the C1 is mentioned and one appears on gumtree in Hull, looks! Quite tidy

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

The BMW C1 sounds awful though, used to see/hear one near us.
A Citroen C1 might be a better proposition for weather protection etc.

kav
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Helix

Post by kav »

I had BMW C1 200 for a year for my commute into central London. Absolutely loved it; but a London commute is very hard on a bike - it broke down twice. Following which I sold it (surprisingly to a courier). I parked it at Kings Cross (stupidly) once, in the days before KX is what it is now, and someone broke into my topbox (the big one) stealing helmet and gloves. I rode it back home helmet-less (not much choice really wouldn't have been there next morning otherwise) - fairly late at night. Remember hands being frozen(despite heated grips) as it was middle of winter.

all-four-inches
Current Ride: 2013 T-Max 530 BlackMax

Post by all-four-inches »

I've owned two BMW C1's, the 125 and the 200> they are actually brilliant machines and are comfortable and keep you dry. People generally overlook them cuz they look silly but they are seriously practical. The 125 is a bit under-powered though. I wish they would make more... but its not "hip" or "stylish" enough.

I also like the Adiva 150's almost bought one a while back too. They have a "convertible" roof, we need more manufactures to be more daring and people to be less close minded.