Metropolis

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Metropolis

Post by smeghead »

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/products/s ... road-test/

Interesting option, I had a ride on the Vespa on Saturday and nearly binned it on a roundabout 200 yards from home, front wheel lost grip and so did my sphincter. Maybe one of these would have hung on!

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Re: Metropolis

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Certainly makes sense as a winter ride.
I also had a "moment" coming back from my daughters on Sunday night on my Shadow, on a damp greasy road at an island. Not bowel loosening, but I felt the rear sliding out on what I think was oil or diesel.
It's that slippy/slidy time of year. :?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I've always thought a 3 wheeler with lots of extra grip might be the answer for all year commuting, though I suspect the additional weight might limit fun in better conditions

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Never really got those three wheel jobs. For commuting you lose a lot of the practicality of two wheels for filtering and overtaking, which matters in busy traffic. And they must be harder to park in bike bays too. They seem to combine the worst factors of increased width whilst still having the exposure to weather and some of the danger that comes with 2W.

Having said all that though, the new Yam Niken does look interesting but then that's no commuter bike.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Not too sure about the extra width issue! I've looked closely at the Metropolis and to be fair it's not really any wider than most slightly bigger motorcycles and the new euro 4 ones have quite a bit more midrange torque so seem to be quite lively to ride and can still top over 90mph. Road tests indicate they can filter with ease and greater confidence on slippery greasy roads. I've ridden the MP3 500 and what a charmer that was! Truly wonderful and I felt it was pretty much the same as a normal bike during the ride but with hugely better grip up front for braking and cornering. It didn't seem any wider than my Vstrom 1000 but had the advantage of never having to put my feet down. I now have a Metropolis dealer down the road from me so I may try and take one out. I can take an extra pension soon so who knows what I might buy to sit in the garage next to the GTS300! :o
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

abitmad wrote:Never really got those three wheel jobs. For commuting you lose a lot of the practicality of two wheels for filtering and overtaking, which matters in busy traffic. And they must be harder to park in bike bays too. They seem to combine the worst factors of increased width whilst still having the exposure to weather and some of the danger that comes with 2W.
I can't speak for all models but the 400 MP3 I rode was no wider than my 400 Burgman, and filtered just as well. And a lot of the problem of parking in bike bays arises from trying to get your machine on its stand relatively close to something else. Using the side stand is often a no-no too, as the scoot will lean over too far and touch whatever its parked next to. I rolled it into spaces backwards so I could just stick the parking brake on, and ride straight out afterwards.

Try one, it might surprise you.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

They aren't wider than a big maxi just visually (IMO) and the Metropolitan Police Traffis support wardens ride them and the MET don't keep novelty items long term.

Also look at those who do use them (odd one on London) loads in Paris & other European capitals and they know bike commuting & how to get about

Still think there are ECU issues though as crud builds up on the piaggio models used in winter.

I have bid on a couple of shed 250 versions in the last week to play about on in winter but won't go over £500.

I think it would have to be a keeper as they seem hard to move on sales wise & little interest for PX

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

3 wheelers rock, but many look awful, which is a shame. But..

1. They don't take much space to park as they don't lean onto a side stand.
2. You don't fall off when the front slides (that ones quite important in practice)
3. They filter OK as noted above.

The widest bikes are 1200gs ADV ones with panniers as wide as the old mini on the sides.

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Globs wrote:3 wheelers rock, but many look awful, which is a shame. But..

1. They don't take much space to park as they don't lean onto a side stand.
2. You don't fall off when the front slides (that ones quite important in practice)
3. They filter OK as noted above.

The widest bikes are 1200gs ADV ones with panniers as wide as the old mini on the sides.
I agree that many if not all 3W scooters look awful but you'd agree that looks are very subjective so opinions on this will vary. Talking just about looks, I'm not wholly against the 3W concept, as I said the new Yam Niken has an impressive appearance, to me. For me, bike looks are quite important and I can't see I'd ever buy one that doesn't please my eye even if its spec was othewise okay.

1 Accepted. It seems from others' comments that 3W scooters are no wider than many other 2W maxis but as Scootypuff said, they look wider. Just an illusion I guess.

2 I accept and acknowledged in my earlier comment that 3W scooters are safer than 2W as you are less likely to fall off. Personally though I'd still rather have my TMax DX than any 3W scooter. The greater safety of the 3W is an insufficient trade-off. That's my present view anyway, it could change if I rode one and learned to love the looks. I'm not a commuter, just an old fart pure leisure rider.

3 Accepted

The big GS ADV with those panniers is not a fair comparison with 3W scooters on width. The latter are generally bought as an alternative to 2W scooters, mostly by commuters I'd guess, not as an alternative to big touring bikes like the GS. So 3W scooters need to be compared with other scooters for width really. But it seems from comments here that they are no wider.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

To muddy the waters further, Peugeot have built a 4 wheel tilting scooter / car / hybrid engined thingy...
https://newatlas.com/peugeot-tilting-ph ... ter/52516/

I must admit it seems quite a useful thing, but with 31kw only powering it to 80, its clearly heavy and the bodywork creates a lot of drag. Not sure about traffic busting in one though!