I'm giving up riding.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

I'm giving up riding.

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Well, I'm 90% decided anyway. Never thought I'd say it.
The reason - the great British climate. I have been thinking, and is it worth 3 months of ice, snow, fog, gales and a plague of frogs (well maybe not the last one) for the standard British 'blink and miss it' summer?
To be honest this thought has been on my mind since I broke my ankle riding on ice four years ago, resulting in a plate and pins and four months off work. Since then I haven't been riding if the temperature will be below freezing, and certainly not on snow. This has meant two buses and two hours to get to work (I work nights) and £20 for a taxi to get home again, as my job involves 12 hour shifts and another two hours to get home is out of the question. I have never had a bike and a car, as for various reasons this is impractical. A situation that still applies. Okay so I could buy a cheap 'jalopy' as a standby, but the trouble with this is cheap jalopies have a nasty habit of breaking down. So it's a good used car for me.
As I say I never thought I'd say this, and I love riding. Can't beat it as most of you will agree. But practicality rules here I'm afraid. No doubt the first warm sunny summers day I will think 'What have I done? What was I thinking?' But as I say I have to be practical.
So, shortly the Maxsym will be going back to the dealer. I have been a good customer of their's for years, and I'm sure they will give me a good deal. Besides, I need a few thousand to pay for a decent car.
I have done some good rides in the 21 years I have been back on two wheels, but I'm afraid it is time to move on.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: I'm giving up riding.

Post by Data »

This is very sad news indeed. :o But you gotta do what you gotta do! However, just a thought...what about a Piaggio MP3 of some flavour or a Peugeot Metropolis trike. They stick to the road like glue in bad weather. Also, they ride just the same as any other bike but without the ice and snow drama and with much better road holding and braking at every other time. Anyhoo...whatever happens don't lose touch! :kiss:
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Maxsymuppet

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Thanks for the suggestion Data. But since my broken ankle (I broke the same one two years before by the way, this time on snow) I have lost my confidence on ice. To the extent that even with a light frost and very little chance of coming a cropper I am still 'bricking it' all the way. And having a third wheel won't help with this. I could still go into a skid and hit something.
Plus when I say I love riding it was a slight untruth. The truth is although I still enjoy it I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. And certainly not when there is likely to be ice about.
There are other factors too. My old Mum (she's 87, bless her) has never been happy about me having a bike, and I don't want to worry her any more than I have already. Especially as her health is not likely to get any better.
I will indeed stay in touch and visit the forum occasionally. Just to keep up with what is happening!

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Burgman it’s not the end of the world - I’m quite sure there are more pressing priorities in your life than riding a scooter - your old mum - bless her - will be elated that you’ve given up on two wheels - the risk of a fatal crash is 35 times greater than a passenger car - driving a car mind you is at least 35 times more boring than riding a motorcycle ;)

Maxsymuppet

Post by Maxsymuppet »

35 times more likely to be killed but 35 times more boring driving a car! Couldn't have put it better myself!

Maxsymuppet

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Something else. Winters are definitely getting colder and summers more disappointing. I remember the time not so many years ago when I could ride right through the winter. Snow meant no more than a light dusting and overnight temperatures rarely dipped much below freezing. Oh yes, and councils were more willing to spend money on grit. But this is maybe the subject of another discussion!
Summers I recall, though still not in the South of France league, were certainly better than the damp (literally) squibs we tend to get now.

Alanzzg
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing

Post by Alanzzg »

I hope you get the car you are after and still have enough cash for a cheap scooters.
Member of The Ugly Bunch -2
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly,

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

I'm with Meldrew on this. I used two wheels (motorcycles) to commute for years when I was younger. Rain, fog, sun, it didn't really matter, I had to use the bike or go on a, shock horror, bus! As I've got older bollocks to that matey! My scooter is for fun only now, I do use it to commute sometimes but only if the weather is clement. Get a cosy car and if you can return to two wheels later on then go for it. I'd be interested in what the MAXSYM 600i is valued at. That's a great scooter.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Maybe its that the weather has been really awful the last few weeks....cold, snow, icy, and its so dark at this time of year. Like Saturday night was frosty, then it rained all day Sunday, and then froze overnight! So frustrating. Personally I couldn't stop riding as I find driving the car so frustrating as the roads are jammed and its a struggle to get anywhere - and the slightest bump on a M-way brings huge queues. And anyway I find that riding is good for the soul....if I'm feeling fed-up a ride often lifts the gloom.
Don't know what the answer is for you, but I hope you make the right choice.

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

I must admit that the combination of salt and frozen patches have made me use the car more.

Small new cars are very very good now and have super cheap tax, servicing and you won't be taking it for an MOT or having new exhaust, brakes or tyres for a while. Doesn't seem to be any on sale at the moment but dealers may have specials. Toyota Aygo and that type would be my aim, or a Fiat Doblo if you want to be able to transport scooters in it.

Also consider a move to a warmer country, cheaper housing, no heating bills, no council tax, cheaper food, much cheaper cafes and restaurants; what's not to like. They also have a decent SYM dealer network there :)

http://www.pureportugal.co.uk/property/river-cottage/