I'm giving up riding.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Re: I'm giving up riding.

Post by Globs »

Burgman1958 wrote:It's not so much aggravating the old injury as suffering another one. Since my second broken ankle I have completely lost my confidence in cold weather, because of the slight chance there might be a bit of ice. Even when I know this is very unlikely, like last Sunday morning when there was no more than a ground frost, I can't shake the feeling that I will have another spill.

But... I am now having second thoughts. The fact is I can get to work or anywhere else for that matter quicker than I could by car. I will even have to work out another route to work as my route so far involves the M6 junctions 10A to 10 southbound, and as anyone else who lives in the West Midlands will know, this stretch of the M6 is notorious for long tailbacks. Not so much of a problem on a two-wheeler, but in a car it would mean being very very late.

It's just the ice thing and the pain in the arse of bussing it. Plus the summer (or lack of.)
The issue with two wheels is the front wheel losing grip and it does it so fast you're going down before you know anything. So it sounds like the answer for you is a three wheeler like a Yamaha Tricity where you can freely skid the front without ending up on the floor.

If you're still needing the traffic filtering of a scooter I'd definitely look at the twin front wheeled trikes.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Don't think there is anywhere in the country worse than 10 and 10A
if there are I have not had the displeasure,
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

terryvanman wrote:Globs wrote
Also consider a move to a warmer country, cheaper housing, no heating bills, no council tax, cheaper food, much cheaper cafes and restaurants; what's not to like. They also have a decent SYM dealer network there :)

...getting away from the sad country the U.K. has become
But harsh Terry...lol! Lived and worked in a lot of different countries and loved a lot of them...but good old blighty takes a bit of beating in my book! But each to his or her own I guess. ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Globs wrote:
Burgman1958 wrote:
But... I am now having second thoughts. The fact is I can get to work or anywhere else for that matter quicker than I could by car. I will even have to work out another route to work as my route so far involves the M6 junctions 10A to 10 southbound, and as anyone else who lives in the West Midlands will know, this stretch of the M6 is notorious for long tailbacks. Not so much of a problem on a two-wheeler, but in a car it would mean being very very late.

It's just the ice thing and the pain in the arse of bussing it. Plus the summer (or lack of.)
The issue with two wheels is the front wheel losing grip and it does it so fast you're going down before you know anything. So it sounds like the answer for you is a three wheeler like a Yamaha Tricity where you can freely skid the front without ending up on the floor.

If you're still needing the traffic filtering of a scooter I'd definitely look at the twin front wheeled trikes.
That's a good idea. A 3 wheeler could be an answer as they offer loads more grip, especially in poor conditions. There again, if there is real ice, then nothing will give you grip!
As mentioned, in congested areas, then a car is hopeless. I had to drive to Essex this week, and an accident on the QE2 Bridge at lunchtime (plus Xmas shoppers at Lakeside) was still causing gridlock across the entire Tunnel/ bridge area, plus the A13 and way into Kent 6 HOURS LATER! I'd risk almost anything to be on two wheels to be able to get through these jams.

steve_h80
Current Ride: silverwing 600

Post by steve_h80 »

Burgman. Sell the bike and buy a cheap car, far more sensible in the winter.
About mid April the urge for 2 wheels will strike again and then buy another bike.
Best of both worlds :-)

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

OK. Having started this thread and read all the posts I am now considering my options.

1. Going back to cars permanently. No way Jose! I can't miss out on those rides on warm sunny days, rare though they are. Plus getting to work and elsewhere quicker than I would in a car. Plus sitting in congestion is something I am not relishing. Riding is in my blood. In fact I think if they put a sample of my DNA under a microscope there would be a string with a wheel at each end!

2. A three-wheeler scooter. Hmmm...interesting idea. I've read a couple of reviews on the Piaggio MP3 500. Big bulky beast isn't it? Not cheap either. But I don't think it will help much. Ice is ice whether you have two wheels or three, and as for snow, forget it. Having only one driven wheel would mean no traction. And I gather they can throw you off though not as easily as a two-wheeler. Though all in all better than a two-wheeler not really enough, especially when it comes to helping with my confidence issues.

3. Buying a cheap car in December and selling it again in March. But it can't be a 500 quid job. For reliability reasons I think I would have to pay around two grand. Okay I would probably lose about 500 when I sold it again, but I could probably spend half of this on bus and taxi fares. Probably the best option. Though in my first post I said having a car and a bike was impractical, so is bussing and taxi-ing. It would only be for three months or so anyway.

4. Staying the way I am. Maybe it is just that this winter is a particularly bad one, and although I work 12 hour shifts I do 4 on 4 off, so I only have to think about busses and taxis for half of the time during winter, and then only when it is going to freeze overnight or snow. I can probably put up with this.

I will probably go with option 3. As I say it is probably the best option.

andyscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: gilera runner vxr200

Post by andyscooter »

you can get a car for 500 quid that will be reliable

I had a Peugeot 206 that I paid 300 for and it went everyday without a problem
sold it for 200 after nearly 12 months
had a slight issue with rear number plate lights but it was fine otherwise
i was an atheist until i realised i am god
Remember its a speed limit not a target

gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)

Maxsymuppet

Post by Maxsymuppet »

We have all heard about £500 cars that run for ages without so much as a misfire, but surely they are outnumbered at least five to one by £500 cars that are unreliable moneypits. I go by the mantra that you get what you pay for. The more you pay the more likely you will get a reliable car. It's the same with anything. A £25 secondhand washing machine for example is more likely than not to break down. Whereas a £200 one is less likely to.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Buy yourself a nice moggy minor then at least no matter within reason
what you spend on it it will likely be worth more when you come to sell it.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Maxsymuppet

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Now there's an idea! Not only winter transport but an investment as well. It might even take over from riding. Not much good on snow though. Rear wheel drive.