Heated grips

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Heated grips

Post by MrGrumpy »

abitmad wrote:In my view by far the best solution to cold hands is heated gloves.
They are great - I have an RST battery operated set, which save hassles with wiring, though of course have limited battery life and need recharging. One thing with heated gloves is that you have to have them with you - if you underestimate how cold a day is and don't take them then you are in a pickle, whilst heated grips are always there just in case. Some spring days can be quite warm, so you think you won't need the heated gloves, but early and late in the day can be quite cool.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

I have had a pair of Gerbing Hybrid x12 gloves for Crissy, so i wired the 12volt outlets into both bikes..I wish i had bought them far sooner than i have, fabulous, heat down the outside of the glove ( back of hand/fingers ) no more crying about cold fingers..I tested them on Sunday to the Raven
very good indeed, well worth the money. Once wired in i can just chuck them under the seat for that cold unexpected day as above.

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Well the Oxford "Hot Hands" arrived and seem to work ok, and would you believe it they fit both my TMax and the Shadow (just about). Since I'm probably heading "oop north" next week (Wednesday onwards forecast dry weather) I'll probably need them too! I'm just having difficulty deciding whither I take the TMax or the Shadow. The TMax is better equipped, has better weather protection and has all that storage space and will probably be faster on the motorways. The Shadow will give me that nice sound track (and vibrations!) and a more comfy saddle, but lacks the TMax's storage space. Decisions decisions... :roll: :)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

2wheelover51 wrote: The Shadow will give me that nice sound track (and vibrations!) and a more comfy saddle, but lacks the TMax's storage space. Decisions decisions... :roll: :)
I suspect that the attraction of the Shadow's 'sound track' and vibrations will fade very quickly on a long journey!! Anyway, I saw a Met Office forecast that said that there will be lots of wind and rain next week, and it'll still be cold.

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Mr G I suspect you're right, I'll probably wish I was on my TMax (and I might still go on it), but I want to show the Shadow to my sisters partner who is also interested in bikes, and used to own KTM motocrossers some years ago. Also I've yet to do a long trip on the Shadow and I'm curious as to what it'll be like comfort-wise.
Meldrew, when I bought the Shadow a previous owner had drilled holes in both silencers and it was actually quite noisy. I promptly filled them up again and it's actually comparatively quiet. I can't say I like the sound of a straightline four screaming up the road , or bikes loud enough to cause annoyance, but it has to be said I do like the sound of a nice v-twin, whither it's a slow revving cruiser or something a bit more sporty. Motorbiking besides being a great form of transport is also for me a sensory experience, and the sound is a big part of that for most of us, but obviously not for yourself.

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Well I've also been riding a few years.. let's just say over 50 and leave it at that. And I do have tinitus which comes and goes but I still like the sound of a many motorbike engines, especially v-twins and big singles, parallel twins, (especially old Brits) etc.
It would be interesting for Muppets to take a vote on it and see what percentage of us do like the sound of their bike engine and who doesn't, but I suspect that a large portion of motorbike riders do enjoy the sound, hence the popularity of aftermarket exhausts, such as Akropovic..

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

For once I'm with Meldrew - I hate loud bike exhausts, to hear and ride!

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I'm also against loud exhausts. In none of my posts have I said I'm in favour of them. But I do like the sound of a correctly silenced bike with a "characterful" engine, such as a v-twin or old Brit parallel twin etc. when it's running right. :)

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I like the sound of my 4 cylinder Honda CBF engine revving up on acceleration, but I have a standard exhaust. I do not want a noisy exhaust.
Just leave it as Mr. Honda made it, a great mechanical sound.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

I like the sound of a V twin, best of all is a Full race V8 on song...
Scoot though i have put LeoVince on most bikes/scoots not to
make them any more noisy just that they are normally Stainless
and most OE rot as you look at them. X-ADV i have left as is..