Heated grips

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Heated grips

Post by MrGrumpy »

Ralph wrote:Must find mine last used on my Burger 3 years back I know they are in a plastic
bag that used to sit under the seat got me wondering were they are now.
Perhaps there's a special wormhole in space which neglected sets of HotHands find their way through....

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Probably the only way to get rid of them they never seem to go wrong.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

M&P have have an offer on the sport Oxford grips at the moment £44.95p i think RRP is £75.99
Tony had an extra long battery charger lead from them yesterday with a flyer in the pack.

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I was thinking I could get a pair of the Oxford "hot hands" and use them on both my TMax and the Honda Shadow. Since I'm not likely to use them after March or April I thought this was a cheap solution for both bikes. Looking at the "Hot hands" the adverts all specify them for 22mm handlebars (outside grip size on the TMax is 32mm on both sides) whereas the outside diameter of the Shadow grips is 37.3mm. (25mm handlebars )
Are the "Hot Hands" tubular or are they flat pieces which are wrapped around the grip and secured with Velcro?
If they're not it looks like I need 2 pairs of grips as the Hot Hands don't come in any other sizes. :cry:

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

2wheelover51 wrote:Are the "Hot Hands" tubular or are they flat pieces which are wrapped around the grip and secured with Velcro?
If they're not it looks like I need 2 pairs of grips as the Hot Hands don't come in any other sizes. :cry:
Hot Hands are a flat piece that wraps round, and has velcro at each end to secure it. A single set will almost certainly fit the Tmax - 22mm is the standard measurement of the underlying metal bit of the handlebar. Almost all bikes & scoots have this size, though some cruisers and BMWs might have thicker bars.

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Thanks Mr G.
But will they have enough velcro to be able to fit on the Shadow as well? I suppose I could at least tape them on if not, with gaffer tape. The Shadows grips at 37.3mm, the TMax's are 32mm if my geometry serves correctly, pi and all that means the Shadows grips need an extra 1/2" or 15mm longer on the circumference, I think easily done with gaffer tape. :lol: Not an elegant solution but..

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Have ordered a pair off ebay so we will see. :? :D

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

I think they will fit fine but if switching between bikes you only get one set of wiring
so you will have to switch that over too.

https://www.motocard.com/en/grips/oxfor ... gImG_D_BwE
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

In my view by far the best solution to cold hands is heated gloves. You need to fit a socket somewhere for the bike battery connection but they can then be transferred between all bikes with no need for fitting to the bars. I always fit a permanent battery connection to my bikes for a charger and this socket can then be used for the heated gloves and maybe other heated clothing. I have a heated vest as well.

The gloves are hugely more effective than heated grips because they heat the whole of your hands, not just the side that contacts the grips. Heated grips leave the back of your hands still cold and also if you take a hand off the bars to scratch your arse or whatever, it immediately gets cold which can't happen with the gloves.

There are types that utilise a rechargeable battery which avoids the need for wiring but in that case you have only a limited use time before the battery runs down. I have no experience of these but at a guess they might be okay for a shortish run or regular commute.

The gloves are more expensive than the grips but you are getting what should be a decent pair of waterproof gloves as well. I guess it depends how much you value comfort but from long experience, they work exceptionally well and last a long time too. One of the most popular makes is Gerbing who offer both rechargeable and battery connection versions, and some are dual that can be used either way as well as a range of other heated clothing. Here's a battery connection glove that comes with an adjustable heat controller:

https://gerbing.co.uk/t-5-heated-gloves.html

They also do a heated liner to use with your own gloves which is a bit cheaper.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

2wheelover51 wrote:Thanks Mr G.
But will they have enough velcro to be able to fit on the Shadow as well? I suppose I could at least tape them on if not, with gaffer tape. The Shadows grips at 37.3mm, the TMax's are 32mm if my geometry serves correctly, pi and all that means the Shadows grips need an extra 1/2" or 15mm longer on the circumference, I think easily done with gaffer tape. :lol: Not an elegant solution but..
Hmmm - that you will have to see! There is a bit of slack, but you might not have quite enough length for the velcro to meet. Cable ties might be another way if not.