attempted theft/ damage

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: attempted theft/ damage

Post by MrGrumpy »

Can't say I'm surprised...panels cost a ludicrous fortune, if the lock / immobiliser were damaged, then this would cost a fortune....and the scoot isn't worth a huge amount. Bugger...again.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

Have you asked for a break down of the minimum amount of parts needed to get it back on the road? if not do so, then go on the bay of E's like has been suggested and get them cheap-ish..

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Did they give you the option to buy 'the scrap' back, then maybe repair it yourself getting parts from eblag/gumtree/etc
Have wheels, will travel :D

dogfood09

Post by dogfood09 »

I got a break down of what's needed. Parts are to costs 1700, 10 hours Labour required brought total bill to 2800 inc vat, biggest cost is the frame at 700, I've let the insurance people know...so gutted

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

A sad story but no suprise that your bike is a write-off, given the high cost of repairs in this business compared with the bike's value. Fixing it yourself is only an option for those very few of us with the skills, inclination, time and place to do it. I certainly wouldn't be able to undertake such a major repair and from the sound of it you may not be in that situation either.

Final outcome should be that your insurer pays out the immediate pre-incident value of the bike less the £450 excess. There can sometimes be a bit of wiggle room in the valuation so before you accept their offer, do a bit of online or other research on the selling price of similar age/mileage bikes as yours at dealers to see if the offer is realistic. You may find you can squeeze a little more out of them. Remember it's the advertised dealer price of a similar s/h bike to yours that you should be paid with no account taken of any haggling that would in reality occur, nor any private sale figure which would be lower.

Don't know the age or mileage of your J125 but this site shows some possibilities for s/h values:

https://www.thebikemarket.co.uk/kawasaki/j/j125

and some more:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/moto ... lsrc=aw.ds

Hope that with the insurance money you do manage to find a replacement bike of some sort to get back on the road.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

BASTARDS...
Gutted for you. - trying to repair a damaged bike or scoot, even on the cheap just to get it back on the road can be a nightmare without the tools, experience, facilities etc. and also acts a as a constant reminder... not a good feeling.
you mentioned you were new to scooting, or maybe just a new owner...

My 2p worth - get rid via the insurance etc - haggle for best price...
Move forward New Ride - Big Chain, and try and leave the nasty business behind.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

dogfood09 wrote:I got a break down of what's needed. Parts are to costs 1700, 10 hours Labour required brought total bill to 2800 inc vat, biggest cost is the frame at 700, I've let the insurance people know...so gutted
The Frame???? :o How did that get damaged??? I find that hard to believe that it could be damaged except in an accident, though without access and expertise (of which I have little) its hard to judge. I guess if the frame is knacked, thats effectively it anyway as its a complete strip down needed. Panels are seriously expensive though.
I guess its London prices, but how does 10 hours of labour cost £1100???? It'd be around £400 labour in cheaper parts of the country. 10 hours to fix isn't that impossible....

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

I fixed a Yamaha that was written off with frame damaged..it turned out to be the steering stop one side. the toe rags had ragged the handle bars around to break the steering lock, tis had taken off the stop lug..simple job to weld a square of steel back onto the frame..my mate was chuft to death as he bought the bike back off the insurance company for peanuts..

So may be worth checking what the frame damage is.
Lyn.

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

What Lyn said, it's going to be something to do with the steering lock. I would check it out.

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

MrGrumpy wrote:Can't say I'm surprised...panels cost a ludicrous fortune, if the lock / immobiliser were damaged, then this would cost a fortune....and the scoot isn't worth a huge amount. Bugger...again.
When my fairly new Joyride was knocked over in a car park it was far cheaper to respray every single pannel (Lovely job at Avalon Fairings) to proper deep colour rather than to buy a new set of drab grey ones. FAR cheaper. Without that it was a borderline write off.