attempted theft/ damage

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
dogfood09

attempted theft/ damage

Post by dogfood09 »

Hi guys,

Today I managed to stop two low life's on a moped trying to steal my kawasaki j125. They dropped my bike as I shouted out to them, my fairing is now damaged and I can no longer get my key in the ignition and possible broke the stearing lock. Obviously called the police , not sure what to do now, fairly new rider, never made a claim before , I have a voluntary excess of £100 and compulsory excess of £350 , best course of action? The bike is locked up at work for now as my Kawasaki cover won't attend attempted theft and will charge me £170 call out fee and that's not even getting it recovered to a mechanic..

Stressed out

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Re: attempted theft/ damage

Post by rayb »

Buggers should be castrated. Where do you live dogfood09? Someone here might know a good repairer who won't rip you off. It looks like you will have to fork out £450 towards the repairs, so it might be best to get the job done yourself and not claim. I would not even mention it to the insurance company. I've heard tales where someone has spoken to his insurers, decided not to claim and they still took away his NCD.

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

They can’t take away your NCD if you don’t claim however if you tell them you have had an attempted theft they will put you down as a bad risk and load your next premium accordingly. That even applies if you have a no-fault claim, as I know to my cost!
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

dogfood09

Post by dogfood09 »

rayb wrote:Buggers should be castrated. Where do you live dogfood09? Someone here might know a good repairer who won't rip you off. It looks like you will have to fork out £450 towards the repairs, so it might be best to get the job done yourself and not claim. I would not even mention it to the insurance company. I've heard tales where someone has spoken to his insurers, decided not to claim and they still took away his NCD.
I live in reigate, but the bike is still at work in wandsworth till I can decide how I'm going to get the bike to a garage , so if anyone does know that would be amazing

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Steve_D wrote:They can’t take away your NCD if you don’t claim however if you tell them you have had an attempted theft they will put you down as a bad risk and load your next premium accordingly. That even applies if you have a no-fault claim, as I know to my cost!
That's what I meant - sorry :) Makes you wonder who are the bigger crooks? The kids on the moped or the insurance companies!

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Sorry to hear of your incident, unfortunately bike theft is epidemic in London.

As far as I can establish the nearest official Kawasaki dealer to Wandsworth is in Croydon:

http://www.southlondonkawasaki.co.uk/

No personal experience but they seem to get good reviews.

Depending on the likely total cost of recovery and repair, I think probably you should claim but it will cost you £450 for the excesses. The insurer should then cover the cost of recovery and repairs though you may lose your NCD if it's not protected and/or face a premium increase at the next renewal. If you can afford it, you might prefer to pay for the recovery and repair yourself but from what you say that may well cost a lot more than £450.

Be prepared for a shock because bike repairs are very expensive and it doesn't take that much for it to be a write-off, especially on a lowish value bike. That applies whether you make a claim or decide to pay for it yourself.

The procedure to make a claim is that you contact the insurer or broker, fill up a claim form and leave the rest to them. They will then have to arrange collection and repair, or perhaps decide that it's a W-O and in that case pay you the second hand value of the bike as it was before the incident. In either case it will cost you £450, either as a direct charge towards repairs or deducted from a W-O payment.

One final point which not everyone appreciates. If you do pay for it yourself, you are still obliged to notify your insurer of the facts. All policies ask for the details of any loss situations such as theft or accidents with any vehicle, whether or not a claim was made. It's part of their assessment of the premium they wish to charge. I'm sure people don't always notify them in such situations but that is the official position. By not notifying them, you breach the conditions of the policy and if they are aware, they would be within their rights to refuse to pay out on future claims.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

What a bugger. Unless you have a couple of strong mates and access to a van, it looks as if you'll have to pay someone to shift it from Wandsworth, either a garage or a motorcycle moving person. But of course, this costs, but I can't see the alternative. You will only get repair costs covered under your insurance, though if your fairing and steering lock are damaged, this will cost a LOT - much more than the hideous excess. I don't know if there are any schemes where you can claim back other losses...there is one for accidents with uninsured drivers, but I guess this doesn't apply in this case. I think you have to bite the bullet and talk to your insurance company...when I had a car accident a while back, they sent out a Green Flag person to recover the car, so you never know!
This is the problem with big excesses...they keep the premium down but are terrible if you do have a claim.

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Which ever course of action you choose you will be out of pocket - perhaps you could hire a van locally for say four hours then attempt to conduct the repairs at home

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

If you go for repair yourself, it might be worth remembering that the J300, which has been around since 2014, has many shared parts with the J125 - you could get lucky looking for 2nd hand bits.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

dogfood09

Post by dogfood09 »

Just had the report back from the garage, it's a write off!! So mad! Will be seriously out of pocket and no bike. Can't even afford to get another one . Absolute scum

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk