Rain Suit

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Aaron
Current Ride: Yamaha Tmax Tech Max 2022

Rain Suit

Post by Aaron »

I'm after a Rain suit, for those wet wet days of riding. I have waterproof gear, but after a rainsuit for the days I ride to work and its pissing down.

Has anyone had any personal experiance with any particular brands that seem to work better than others ?

Are the fleaBay ones as good as RST brand, ect ?

I am in Australia, and can get DriRider and RST brands quite easily, and almost any brand on fleaBay

Any recommendations very welcome

thanks
Aaron

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Re: Rain Suit

Post by rtfm »

My 2 cents - Anything that says it's breathable isn't waterproof!

Nothing worse that going to work in a suit and finding by a stroke of luck the only area that got wet is the crotch area.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

rtfm wrote:My 2 cents - Anything that says it's breathable isn't waterproof!

Nothing worse that going to work in a suit and finding by a stroke of luck the only area that got wet is the crotch area.
and that's where it will get wet first.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I suspect it may depend on how long you your journey is whether something breathable is a necessity or not. On a relatively short commute, it may not matter. Also depends on how warm it is! I've heard bad things about Goretex gear, but as its expensive I've never bothered trying it, and relied on good old-fashioned cheap rain plastic rain gear when needed ( I normally have a waterproof jacket on anyway).
I have an RST overjacket in a violent yellow colour which seems very waterproof and adds warmth, and folds up small enough to leave in the topbox until wanted. I always carry a cheap pair of over trousers with me...just in case - though I always think, maybe it'll stop raining in a minute so I usually get wet!

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

I have a pair of Aldi waterproof trousers, which are pretty waterproof but it's all but impossible to do the ankle zips up without jamming them. No matter how careful. So, I've started wearing my Helly Hansen sailing one-piece and it's warm, comfortable and relatively easy to get on.

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Thanks for your replies

I am after a 1 piece suit. I didn't realise there were breathable or non-breathable rain suits, so something to think about.

At this stage it just for short commutes.

Aaron

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Oversuit...
My advice from years of commuting - I would go 2 piece... Jacket and Trousers
Had a couple of 1 piece suits, a pain in the arse putting on, especially at the road side...
And water would pool up in the lap and get through the zip... Seperate trousers dont have the zip...
Plus all the top jacket part flapping about when trying to put the trousers on...
I've had the Spada 911 / 912 combo for 10 years or so - similar designs from other manufacturers...
A great tip is to use a carrier bag over ya boot (or more recently i have swiped some of those blue plastic overshoe things from the swimming pool) help the foot slide down the trouser leg, without the sole of ya boot sticking or snagging on the rubbery inside of the trousers...
Plus you dont get dirt on the inside of the overtrousers, that would then get on your trousers...
Plus when its dry and just cold, the trousers help keep the wind off, top half is usually warm enough

andy(b)
Current Ride: pcx and nexus 500

Post by andy(b) »

I would go 2 piece as well, i'm using a ex army but new when i got it MTP Lightweight gortex jacket and trousers as i use these for over my bike gear (these trousers have zips from bottom of the leg to hip so easy on and off) no pee zip, so no water ingress there, just pull cord at the waist, with velcro adjuster at ankle. never got wet yet and i have ridden in some heavy rain.......

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

The only leaks I have had from any waterproofs is via the seams any where from 1 year to 2 years of ownership. This has happened on expensive or cheap ones so now I only ever buy the cheap ones.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Off topic ---- I saw one of your comedians, Jimmy Carr a couple of days ago in Geelong, Australia. Was a great show.