What scooters should I be looking at??

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Sammo
Current Ride: CBR600F

What scooters should I be looking at??

Post by Sammo »

Morning,

I joined here a few years ago when I was looking to get rid of my CBR600. I ended up selling the Honda and have pretty much given up riding since then. Recently though I've been getting the urge to go out riding again. Unfortunately the arthritis in my left hand is bad enough these days that I can't pull a clutch lever very easily anymore so I'm looking at scooters instead.

I want a big scooter with a minimum of a 500cc engine and something that Mrs Sammo can go on the back of for a bit of travelling around. There's so much out there these days that I have no idea where to start looking. If some suggestions could be made I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,

Sammo
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, shouting GERONIMO!"

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Re: What scooters should I be looking at??

Post by Funkycowie »

Honda Integra, or if you want bike styling and no clutch, Honda NC750x.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Sammo - seems to me that you are craving cbr600 attributes in a scooter - why the need for a 500cc engine or above - in reality there are few scooters which actually exceed that capacity - the Honda Integra is in fact a motorcycle dressed up as a scooter - the main scooter contenders over 500cc is the Honda Silverwing - Yamaha Tmax and the Suzuki Burgman - all three are very expensive for what they are - I think you will find that the 300cc to 400cc capacity offers better value for money with no significant reduction in performance - perhaps have a look at the new Yamaha Xmax 400

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

The answer is always to start with a Tmax!!!! Especially if you are used to bikes, as the Tmax offers very bike like handling. It has bike like running costs as well, of course. It certainly will have has enough power and room for two people. The other big-scoot options are the Burger 650 and the Honda Silverwing, which are perhaps more touring orientated (more underseat space for one thing), or the Honda Integra / X-ADV - the latter two being Honda NC750X disguised as a scooter.

It depends on what you might want to do with it of course - if you are only going to bimble round town or along slow back lanes, something smaller might do, but if you want to use faster roads, well, a smaller scoot can do them, but the Tmax offers you a lot more performance and handling and general higher road capabilities....albeit at a higher price. Have a think about your likely riding.

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

Hello sammo.....budget is your first obstacle,does Mrs Sammo control the purse strings or you :D if “her in doors” is gonna hop on the back,i guess Burgman 650,Silverwing,Tmax,BMW are the ones to look at.The Burgers are great if the pair of you do weekends away,if its just the day out Mrs Sammo will be on the back,the tmax may be better as when you’re out on your own you’ll get more of a motorcycle feel,had plenty of Big Burgmans and enjoy them,had a tmax and that was great,i really liked the way it handled,infact i have been seen at the local yamaha dealer giving the new tmax dx the big eye :x service costs could be a factor unless you tinker yourself.....keep us posted

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

rjc1944
Current Ride: 2009 Burgman 400

Post by rjc1944 »

The T-Max is right up there as one of the best bikes I've ever owned and certainly the best scooter. Best handling, best brakes, top-notch engine, lights and equipment. A bit short on luggage space compared to a Burgman and not as comfy as a Silver Wing - but hey, it's a sports scooter so what do you expect?
2009 Burgman 400 in sunny Perranporth :D
Always seek the happy medium - she's out there, riding her scooter.

marval
Current Ride: Aprilia sr gt

Post by marval »

As was said budget is the main thing. I have owned two Syms GTS 300 and a Maxsym 400, both brilliant scooters. Always craved the 600 Maxsym but old age has crept up on me. New 600s are about £6300, but theres a few good second hands around £4500. Great scooters only thwarted by scarce dealers and an indifferent importer. Although DIY is quite straightforward.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Sammo fellow Maxi Muppet has just put this on the Facebook page

Low milage 650 Burgman
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Meldrew wrote:Which is of limited value as it's a closed group of 291 members and only they can look at anything that's posted on there.
Good point bud icon_thumbs_up.gif it says .....

Simon Danks
17 hrs

Offered to you lovely people on here first:

2013 650 L3 Executive.
Only 2,601 miles, excellent condition.
Dry use / garaged, MOT June 18.
£4950 - West Mids, UK

PM if interested, Thanks.

Have wheels, will travel :D

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Now what we need to know is ...

I Simon Danks on here ? & if so what's his username ?
Have wheels, will travel :D