Living with the sh300

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Pete07bikes
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS300 HPE

Re: Living with the sh300

Post by Pete07bikes »

Hi Snail,
I ran a Forza 300 (same engine) for 22,000 miles commuting for 2.5 years and changed the drive belt @ 14,000 miles - the official manufactures service schedule for the drive belt is check at 8,000 miles & replace at 16,000 miles. Obviously one rider's comparison to another is difficult and I can only conclude that your use involves much town work using acceleration and heavy braking.
Re the tyres - I know the Forza has small wheels as opposed to the SH having large wheels but I was getting 7,500 miles to a rear tyre and I got 19,000 out of the front tyre.
While replacing the back tyre at 4,760 miles when ridden two-up sounds reasonable I'm very surprised by the wear on the front tyre already.

Hi SymCity; I think you'd be surprised re running a small car cheaper than a scooter - some small diesel cars do 78 mpg and have 20,000 mile service intervals - plus small car tyres at less than £50 a corner which are capable of 20,000 miles minimum for fronts & up to 50,000 miles for rears.

As Snail states - two-wheelers are much more fun!
Pete
Rainham, Medway Towns, Kent
Honda CB500-XA

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Pete07bikes wrote:Hi SymCity; I think you'd be surprised re running a small car cheaper than a scooter - some small diesel cars do 78 mpg and have 20,000 mile service intervals - plus small car tyres at less than £50 a corner which are capable of 20,000 miles minimum for fronts & up to 50,000 miles for rears.
I still maintain that if you were to adhere to the manufacturer service schedule a small scooter would be more economic to run than any car

Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Post by Snail »

horobags wrote:Im averaging 86 mpg two up as well which I'm well chuffed with.

Yes I fill up when trip reads 150, then about £9 ISH to fill so similar I guess

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

I'm getting 90+, still running in.

Pablos

Post by Pablos »

what are the recommendations for running in period? I presume it's speed limited as no rev counter?

Symcity
Benefactor

Post by Symcity »

Pablos wrote:what are the recommendations for running in period? I presume it's speed limited as no rev counter?
I’m quite sure the dealer is qualified to tell you that

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Pablos wrote:what are the recommendations for running in period? I presume it's speed limited as no rev counter?
dont use full throttle for the first 300 miles. Thats it.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

horobags wrote:
dont use full throttle for the first 300 miles. Thats it.
Especially in built-up areas. :)

Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Post by Snail »

Ok been out for a run today round the forest of Dean, I am getting more disappointed with this scoot, although they changed the belt and told me everything else was good I have my doubts, there is a definite click when drive takes up and it just seems sluggish maybe a whole drive overhaul is needed, we seem to have had a huge toll on it in 18 months
Is there any special tools required to overhaul the drive belt, clutch, pulley? Maybe we àre just not suited to a twist and go, too much strain on the drive system? Maybe I am just riding it wrong?

Symcity
Benefactor

Post by Symcity »

Snail wrote:Ok been out for a run today round the forest of Dean, I am getting more disappointed with this scoot, although they changed the belt and told me everything else was good I have my doubts, there is a definite click when drive takes up and it just seems sluggish maybe a whole drive overhaul is needed, we seem to have had a huge toll on it in 18 months
Is there any special tools required to overhaul the drive belt, clutch, pulley? Maybe we àre just not suited to a twist and go, too much strain on the drive system? Maybe I am just riding it wrong?
Maybe you are expecting too much from a 279 cc scooter producing just 25 brake horsepower