Living with the sh300

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Living with the sh300

Post by Snail »

Ok, little bit of history for those who haven't read any of my other threads?

We are retired, don't own a car, go long-term motorhome tours towing sh on trailer, we are two up 90% of the time, nearly always at maximum loading or over! When shopping etc

Bought the scoot new in October 16, so is a 66 plate, oil change at 600 miles, first service October 17, needed new back tyre worn on right hand side? 4760 miles, dealer advised inflate to 40 psi as always two up?

Last week noticed a different engine tone and clutch having a bit more lag?
Took it to my dealers yesterday after two hours, all they could find was the drive belt had worn below the allowed tolerance? 5480 miles, they replaced it, not covered by warranty!
This indeed made it ride nicely again
They also advised me front tyre was only at 2 mm new needed soon?

So probably within 6500 miles I will have had 2 tyres and a belt, would you consider this normal wear and tear? Have I bought the right bike for our needs, you only read good things about them, this is our first twist and go, my last two motorbikes were shaft drive!

Look forward to your thoughts
Thanks snail

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Re: Living with the sh300

Post by rayb »

I'll be interested in the answers on this. I seldom, if ever have a pillion and only weigh 70Kg. Hopefully, that will give the rubber bits more life?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Getting through tyres at approx 6000 miles is very much par for the course (for me anyway), and I guess having a pillion will put more load on the rear, so I guess no problem.
Getting through a belt in 5500 miles seems very odd - can't remember the service interval for belts on the SH300. I think you were pretty lucky to get a new one under warranty - normally these are classed as consumables - which suggests that the dealer may have found a fault somewhere.

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Bearing in mind that the current sh300i only produces 25 bhp perhaps you have chosen the wrong machine for your needs - perhaps the Yamaha Xmax 400 would have been more suitable with around 33 bhp - with regards to the consumables I would have expected more out of the belt and tyres - the godsend with the sh300i is that if you shop around then the consumables for the scooter are fairly cheap - horses for courses I reckon - I own a 2011 model and ride solo so I may not be qualified in giving you a genuine response PS mrgrumpy the OP states that he paid for the drive belt

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

I ride mostly two up on my SH 300, and I do ride briskly. I think maybe I'm asking a lot of the SH, but its a Honda and it can take it. :P so consumables that wear a little prematurely are'' par for the course.'
Sportsbike tyres can wear after a couple of thousand miles so 5-6000 miles is acceptable to me.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Post by Snail »

The belt was charged to me as being a consumable item.

The only small bike we had prior to this was the Honda Innova, 125cc coped just about but struggled on hills
The 300 was to allow us to cover bigger distances easier, I didn't give it a second thought that it would be challenged or even consider any loading weight restrictions.

I must say that I do believe it's a good scooter and do like it we have had lots of fun on it so far, just surprised by the maintenance costs? The dealer said he would normally expect a belt change at second service 8000 miles?

We don't want a bigger capacity bike, we cope nicely with the size and weight of this getting on and off the trailer, and to be honest from a running cost point of view it would be cheaper to run a small car? But not as much fun!

If you more experienced riders think this is the norm then we will live with it, the good points out with the bad ones, once it's out of warranty then I will look after my own maintenance so will save some labour costs

In fairness to the dealer although I was with them for 2 hours checking it out they only charged me 30 mins labour £30

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Snail

I think the way you ride the scoot that sort of consumption more than acceptable.

I'm sure a chain on a similar engine sized bike would wear just as quickly but need loads of stretch adjusted between times.

Did the dealer say which part of the tyre was at 2mm? Only if it's the centre then that's extra PSI but the tread wear indicator should help you judge that.

I'm happy and mostly get 10K miles from my scoot tyres

I'd have more issues if bearings where wearing prematurely as that would indicate the SH can't take the punishment.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Im averaging 86 mpg two up as well which I'm well chuffed with.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Steve_D
Benefactor

Post by Steve_D »

I get approx 7-8000 miles to the tyre on my one. I changed my belt and rollers at 10,500 (recommended at 12,500 miles IIRC). It’s now nearly at 25,000 miles so the second belt is overdue for a change. I only ride solo. FWIW, I found the genuine Honda belt from a dealer to be approx 25% cheaper than the pattern parts offered on eBay!
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

Symcity
Benefactor

Post by Symcity »

Snail wrote:The dealer said he would normally expect a belt change at second service 8000 miles and to be honest from a running cost point of view it would be cheaper to run a small car? But not as much fun!
The official Honda Maintainance schedule suggests that the belt be replaced at 12000 miles - why the dealer suggests a change at 8000 god knows - I really doubt that you could run a small car cheaper than a 279cc scooter