Living with the sh300

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
fullcirclemax
Current Ride: Integra

Re: Living with the sh300

Post by fullcirclemax »

Snail wrote:Ok been out for a run today round the forest of Dean, I am getting more disappointed with this scoot, although they changed the belt and told me everything else was good I have my doubts, there is a definite click when drive takes up and it just seems sluggish maybe a whole drive overhaul is needed, we seem to have had a huge toll on it in 18 months
Is there any special tools required to overhaul the drive belt, clutch, pulley? Maybe we àre just not suited to a twist and go, too much strain on the drive system? Maybe I am just riding it wrong?
You could ask them to check it? As i intend running an sh until the end of my riding days as my main bike, i want to be sure i have confidence in whats going on under the cover, to the extent that next time the cover is off i am going to make pluggable inspection holes underneath. Perhaps the belt is not 100% true from new? My sh had a few issues to sort that if i had taken the sellers ( dealer ) verbal and paperwork proof of work having been done i might have been caught out. Annoying but i prefer to check myself. The drive belt ( at 21000 ) was supposed to have been done early at 13500 but was almost at breaking point with most of the outer half gone. Was it ever done? It is an easy job with the right tools, for me the important thing is correct torque on the pulley nut and making sure it has grease where needed and none visually under the cover. Pulling away should not be an issue, i can't speak for the 530 onwards Tmax but the sh is quicker 0-30, both my 500s had an initial lag. A bit like pulling off in second on a geared bike.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Snail, perhaps we can meet up sometime and you can try mine?

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

The maintenance schedule on my 2011 honda sh300i states that the drive belt should be replaced at 12000 miles - this is a fairly easy task if you have the aptitude and the correct tools - torque settings should be adhered to by reference to the workshop manual - when changing the belt I always replace the rollers and sliders at the same time - as one of the top selling European scooters on the market I must say that I am surprised by the issues “snail” is experiencing - perhaps he should change his forum title

Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Post by Snail »

rayb wrote:Snail, perhaps we can meet up sometime and you can try mine?
Hi rayb, I have to say that it only seems to have gone downhill the last two months, I just think it's not up to carrying us all the time, and suffering early wear?

Last summer we spent 3 weeks in the lakes and it climbed all the hills and passes with ease maybe 1 in 3 climbs have had its toll and in Snowdonia the same

Despite the dealer looking into it and telling me alls good, I'm sure something will fail after the warranty is out in October

I have been an engineer all my life, you know when things are ' different' it's noisier too

Snail

Post by Snail »

Symcity wrote:The maintenance schedule on my 2011 honda sh300i states that the drive belt should be replaced at 12000 miles - this is a fairly easy task if you have the aptitude and the correct tools - torque settings should be adhered to by reference to the workshop manual - when changing the belt I always replace the rollers and sliders at the same time - as one of the top selling European scooters on the market I must say that I am surprised by the issues “snail” is experiencing - perhaps he should change his forum title
What are you saying it should be ridden harder? I generally pull off and as revs, speed start to match roll the throttle off, as traffic dictates

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Snail wrote:
Symcity wrote:The maintenance schedule on my 2011 honda sh300i states that the drive belt should be replaced at 12000 miles - this is a fairly easy task if you have the aptitude and the correct tools - torque settings should be adhered to by reference to the workshop manual - when changing the belt I always replace the rollers and sliders at the same time - as one of the top selling European scooters on the market I must say that I am surprised by the issues “snail” is experiencing - perhaps he should change his forum title
What are you saying it should be ridden harder? I generally pull off and as revs, speed start to match roll the throttle off, as traffic dictates
With you using the term “sluggish” I just thought it a tad ironic that you are posting as “snail”

Snail

Post by Snail »

Ok I see, well being a Brian have always been known as snail, plus I am not very fast! Plus being a motorhomer all my years I carry my house on my back, so it's quite fitting really ha ha

Snail

Post by Snail »

Morning all, ok reasonably capable of doing some machanical work, but never having a twist and go before or seeing the drive system in the flesh

Has anyone got access to a workshop manual for drawings and torque figures that could be posted maybe in the garage section, is there a manual in print to buy?

I have got to persevere with this scoot, can't afford a new one, and don't like tunnel style scoots, or small wheels, so as you can see the choices are limited and it is the best selling scooter in Europe which by reputation was another reason for buying it

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Snail wrote:Morning all, ok reasonably capable of doing some machanical work, but never having a twist and go before or seeing the drive system in the flesh

Has anyone got access to a workshop manual for drawings and torque figures that could be posted maybe in the garage section, is there a manual in print to buy?

I have got to persevere with this scoot, can't afford a new one, and don't like tunnel style scoots, or small wheels, so as you can see the choices are limited and it is the best selling scooter in Europe which by reputation was another reason for buying it
I've sent you a message Snail

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

rayb wrote:
I've sent you a message Snail
Good man ;) :ugeek: :D
Have wheels, will travel :D