Sat Nav.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Re: Sat Nav.

Post by Snail »

Looked at these last year, isn't there some cost to using it, I think you have to pay for mapping on your phone, it is just an extension screen from your phone, I believe you have to program your route on the phone through tom tom then Bluetooth to the screen on your mirror mount, I thought it was the answer at the time?
I bought an extra mount for my TomTom I use in the van, if it looks like rain I put one of those self seal bags over it, as the waterproof bags seem to be huge?
I made a 20 mm alloy bar to join across the windscreen top mounts, bit like the old badge bar idea, used an old deck chair frame

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I have a Satnav app on my phone, which is entirely free, including maps. Haven't used it though!!!

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Presumably, you can use any phone app, so something like Navfree would work.

The waterproof 5" satnav case is pretty big but doesn't really intrude on the SH300. On my Innova, it virtually obscured the speedo. I'll take a photo later on.

Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Post by Snail »

Rayb, when you use the satnav do you power it from under the seat?

I want to put a usb socket somewhere and get power to it easily?

Was thinking about drilling hole in plastics next to the pocket on LHS the pocket comes out easily and enough room behind the adjacent plastic for a socket to protrude and wiring, but where to power it from, don't want it live permanently

rayb
Benefactor

Post by rayb »

No Snail, I have a usb port and mounting bracket attached to the mirror stem and the power is taken from the ignition. The wires are fed through the grommet on the mirror. Only means taking off the front panel. I will take a photo when I get time.

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

Snail wrote:Rayb, when you use the satnav do you power it from under the seat?

I want to put a usb socket somewhere and get power to it easily?

Was thinking about drilling hole in plastics next to the pocket on LHS the pocket comes out easily and enough room behind the adjacent plastic for a socket to protrude and wiring, but where to power it from, don't want it live permanently
Don’t you have a 12v power socket in the cubby!
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

rayb
Benefactor

Post by rayb »

It's under the seat. I didn't want the hassle of running the cable from the back and I wanted to save the 12v socket for charging phones etc.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

If I don't want to start messing with wiring I power my sat nav
from one of those power banks, the one I have will run it
all day.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

rayb wrote:It's under the seat. I didn't want the hassle of running the cable from the back and I wanted to save the 12v socket for charging phones etc.
If you use your phone as the sat nav, you’ll kill two birds with one stone. When I used the Tom Tom app on my iPhone, I fitted it in a completely waterproof holder. Combined with a Bluetooth helmet I had music on the go, satnav instructions and of course, I could receive calls.
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

rayb
Benefactor

Post by rayb »

I have been using my phone with Navfree but I have found it a bit awkward, hard to see in strong daylight and although a bluetooth headset seemed a good idea, I'm a bit mutt & jeff and couldn't hear the thing at cruising speed or less. I did consider a powerpack but then it needs to be mounted in some way. I'm pleased with my setup so far and to be honest, when I'm out on a trundle, I'm quite happy getting lost That's when you find the hidden gems.