Windshield deflector/spoiler

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Windshield deflector/spoiler

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Can any Muppets recommend (or not) any of those little add-on deflectors/spoilers that sit on the top of the screen?

I have found Givi's S180T, and a few from MRA and other manufacturers.

I have Yamaha's rather lovely Tall Screen, designed for the Nmax. It looks good and works well and I can live with the airflow hitting me at the top edge of the helmet's visor on dry days. The little problem I have is when it rains; the airstrike at the top of the visor drives rain exactly at the spot where it then moves/pours down the visor and helmet. This gives me a 'windscreen washer effect' downwards which then causes all that rain to soak my lap and groin as well as that 'falling curtain-of-water look!!
There is a little wind noise. This noise is usually accompanied with a buffeting but with this screen it isn't at all annoying - the windscreen-washer effect is however.

I could live with this and there are ways around this - I could just slip on my waterproof bottoms, slow down :) etc. But I am wondering if a spoiler will actually work and direct that airflow just over the top of my helmet.

Any thoughts as to their efficaciousness?

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Re: Windshield deflector/spoiler

Post by The Bern »

You could save a load of money & get one of these ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Mo ... SwhzRaVGgL ... IIRC it's what Lyn has on his X-ADV.

Or if you're in a hurry, a little more expensive, same item but UK based .... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Mo ... SwsCJZm9HV
Have wheels, will travel :D

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Thanks TB,

I must be one of those hermits that don't use facebook and ebay, so your item above wasn't on my radar, as I tend not to look on ebay links - am I missing something?!

Checking it out now.

Tim

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I've tried several versions over the years, which have always proved more or less successful - at reducing wind noise and buffeting at least rather than rain direction!
I had the Laminar Lip on the mk3 Tmax which transformed the screen from unbearably bad to really good. I had the MRA screen with deflector on the mk4 Tmax which quietened things down (the base screen was OK but noisy in its high position). I have a Puig deflector on the mk6 Tmax which again quietens things down a bit. I also had a Puig deflector on the mk1 Tmax for a while which did help transform the awful standard screen into something reasonable. I've now swapped it for a Givi high screen, but the Givi is no quieter than the standard screen + deflector combo.
So, overall I've found that these deflectors have always helped matters to a greater or lesser degree.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

I think this is the same as the cheaper option the Bern posted. I hope to get it this week and I'll let you know how it works.

Incidentally, I have a Puig Trafic screen on a Honda SH300.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Puig do something extremely similar. I must admit I'm a bit wary of the clip on variety....I'm not confident that they'll stay on at speed! Puig do deflectors in clip and bolt on versions - the down side of the latter is of course that you need to drill the screen and it'd better work as you are stuck with it (or at least the holes!).

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

MrGrumpy wrote:Puig do something extremely similar. I must admit I'm a bit wary of the clip on variety....I'm not confident that they'll stay on at speed! Puig do deflectors in clip and bolt on versions - the down side of the latter is of course that you need to drill the screen and it'd better work as you are stuck with it (or at least the holes!).
I believe Horobags has the drilled hole variety. At £22 it's worth taking a gamble. If it does the job but is dodgy at speed at least I'll have the confidence to get a more substantial type.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

The one i have is now back in it's box, i bought a Puig bolt on jobbie for the Kawasaki/Kymco.
Not bothered putting the one back on the X. it is the one from the second pic about £23 UK seller.
You can have it for a tenner. PM me your address and stuff Cap-in,,,, i will pop it in the post to you,
if no good send it back.
Lyn.

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Thank you all, there is a lot of choice out there.

Mr G, the Puig have a nicely spaced pair of clamps I see. I've owned Puig's Trafic screen and it proved to be stable and solid as well as adjustable - good kit.

Lyn, I'll now have another look at your suggestion and get back to you about your offer.

Meldrew, I recall the Wunderlich brand.

EDIT #2! Rayb, yes, I like the idea of you road-testing this deflector for me!! :kiss:

I need to get out for a big food shop now and get on here later this eve.

Thanks all.

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Lyn, is your PUIG deflector a fit-&-forget affair or can it be removed as and when needed? I see that it has two screen locks as opposed to the single lock of your other 'ebay deflector'. I presume they are tightened either by allen key or knurled knob.

Knurled knob! :D