Xmax400 or Tmax in the city? (general Tmax Qs)

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Re: Xmax400 or Tmax in the city? (general Tmax Qs)

Post by SH125Paul »

8500rpm wrote:You mention the new Tmax has better acceleration than the old, why is that, I don't see why a new 'Ride by wire' throttle system would make it faster?
Possibly like having a different cam profile in the twist grip or quick action (less angle of rotation ) for the cable throttles ...
One would imagine it to be more progressive, but 'prolly down to the mapping settings that can be applied...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

8500rpm wrote: You mention the new Tmax has better acceleration than the old, why is that, I don't see why a new 'Ride by wire' throttle system would make it faster?
I'm not entirely sure how Yamaha has managed it, but they succeeded! This article mentions it a bit...
https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/designcafe/ ... &id=681695

Its probably a combination of things - slight weight reduction, improved CVT, but probably mostly due to changes in the engine management software. It feels like its got a supercharger or something...my guess is that the computer detects that the rider is twisting the throttle hard and selects an aggressive engine map that pumps fuel in, perhaps.
I read a comparison with the Kymco AK550 on a French website - it was noticeable that despite the Kymco having at least 6 bhp more peak power, the Tmax matched its performance exactly (also helps that its 20kg or so lighter than the Kymco).

I think its something that Yamaha have been very very clever with.

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

The more i hear/read about the new tmax,the more i am interested,the you tube and motorcycle journalists reviews have mostly been postive,having had one before anyway,the performance was good,with the various improvements its gonna be great.......MrGrumpy any teething problems with yours?

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Stephen wrote:The more i hear/read about the new tmax,the more i am interested,the you tube and motorcycle journalists reviews have mostly been postive,..MrGrumpy any teething problems with yours?
Not really, though with the weather being so crap I haven't ridden it much and have let my other mk1 Tmax take the strain!

The only quirk I'm finding is the RbyWire throttle - the response can be a bit uneven. This isn't a great problem in itself, though I can get odd things happening when going downhill. I have mentioned this before, but to recap, Yamaha have built in a clever feature where if you go down a very steep hill, it sets the revs to 3000rpm, which helps to keep the clutch engaged. However, when descending less steep hills, the system seems to get confused and keeps switching to 3000rpm steep hill mode, then changes its mind, then keeps going into and out of descent mode. No other owner on here seems to have experienced the same thing. Its mildly irritating rather than annoying and I probably won't bother doing anything about it until it needs a service, though I suspect the mechanics at the dealership will be utterly clueless about it. I suspect a software glitch, or maybe an iffy sensor somewhere.

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

Thanks for the feedback......will the dealer do any updates to the software at the service,if so it may well sort out your issue.The DX version will be my choice

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Stephen wrote:Thanks for the feedback......will the dealer do any updates to the software at the service,if so it may well sort out your issue.The DX version will be my choice
We shall see. I'm not confident that the mechanics know anything about Tmaxs at all. I tried to talk to the intelligent person at the dealership about it, but missed him and had to talk to one of the many idiots instead....I might have been talking about servicing my UFO for all he knew about the Tmax!

As for versions, I'd like the electric screen & heated grips of the DX, but most of the other features I can do without. The Blue DX colour looks nice, but not the horrific 'Liquid Metal' colour!!!!!

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

Personally I think the extra features on the DX are well worth it. The ones I use most are the power screen, heated grips and seat, and cruise. Since they are there, I also use the two driving modes but it's mostly in sport.

At list prices, the DX is £1,300 more than the basic TMax but both are very expensive scooters at roughly £10-11,000. I'd guess that people spending that kind of money on a maxi could probably afford the additional cost of the DX so I see little reason to go for the basic model unless you really think you will never have much use for the DX extras. But what can happen is that features you thought were just frivolous and unnecessary can actually become very useful once you have them.

Mechanically I've had no problems at all with the bike since buying it last summer. I come from a big bike background over 40 odd years and the TMax is one fine ride in my experience. The DX adds icing to what is already a great cake. I've added two cherries to that iced cake, a Tomtom nav and a DIN socket for battery charging or heated clothing.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

You pays your money etc...£1300 extra - as I said, the electric screen would be great, but adding a £40 Puig deflector seems to have created a screen that suits me in most conditions, I paid £90 for accessory heated grips - I don't like cruise control at all, the engine modes don't seem very useful, the adjustable rear shock is, I think, most useful if you take pillion passengers which I don't. Not sure if the heated seat would be useful or not - I had one on the Burger 650 but never switched it on!!

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

I have a standard T Max Mk 6 . I had the Yamaha heated grips retro fitted and they are good but not as hot as my GSA . The Electric screen I think I would like but have ordered a tall black Givi screen . Cruise I would not use on the T Max though is useful on the GSA . Heated seat , no , never used it on the C600 BMW scooter I had . I like the Gloss black on the standard T Max rather than the matt on both DX models . Don't get the PUIG sport/short screen its of no use in rain/cold as there is no weather /wind protection though it looks really cool .Otherwise best of the T Max's. I have not noticed the 3000rpm thing Mr Grumpy though in extreme cold it is slow to drop its revs going down hill

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

tmaxrobbo wrote: I have not noticed the 3000rpm thing Mr Grumpy though in extreme cold it is slow to drop its revs going down hill
When its working as intended, you have to be going down a really steep hill - say 15% or greater - before it kicks in. The funny issue on mine seems to be on lesser gradients say less than 10% when you are throttle off, but still doing a reasonable speed (say 35mph).