What's you average speed on the motorway

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Re: What's you average speed on the motorway

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Usually if I'm driving a car it's about 70-80. I usually keep to the same speed on my TMax as well, depending on the weather.
My Shadow on the other hand feels nicer to ride anywhere from about 55 to 70 also depending on wind direction, etc.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Snag is, when you use an M-way, its because you have distance to cover, and M-ways and dual carriageways let you cover ground far faster than normal A-roads (in a car anyway). I regularly have to travel between Teesside and Essex and there really isn't an alternative to the A1/M11/M25 or M1/M25. The only bit that has a parallel A road is the old A14 from Huntingdon south via Royston, which used to be a good road 35 years ago, but I'm sure its much more of a pain now.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

I recall watching a Police Patrol programme about the CMPG. One of the clips had them cruising along the M6 and the driver saying "I like the inside lane, it's easily the safest place to be." On a bike, that's got to be doubly true.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Not sure if I'd agree - I think the chances of being mown down by an over-tired truck driver must be significant! If your chances of being killed on the hard shoulder are alarmingly high, I don't think your chances on the inside lane are much better!

rayb
Benefactor

Post by rayb »

Not sure I agree. You're more likely to get taken out in the middle lane by an over-tired truck driver doing the old manoeuvre/indicate/mirror routine. If you're doing 55-60 in the inside lane, then you'd need to be pretty unobservant not to notice an HGV catching you at 5mph or so. If something happens ahead, you have the hard-shoulder as an escape route. Failing that, the grass verge. In any other lane, you're between a hard place and a hard place. It tends to be parked vehicles that get taken out on the hard-shoulder. If you have to park up, then prop the bike against the armco and get yourself the other side of it.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Whatever speed rocks your boat. I vary mine on the GTS300. It's capable of 70mph all day but increasingly I look down at the Speedo to see an indicated 65mph predominantly showing. The bike is very exciting to ride at any speed, but it is also great at chewing up the miles bigtime at a slightly slower, more economical cruise. I used to take the Burgman to Birmingham on mostly dual carriageway and motorways. Total return trip of 380 miles. Used to keep to 70-75mph, passenger one way. Had to refuel once on the way back. Vespa does the same trip, no passenger and keeping to 65mph and she needs fuelling twice. Could keep to 70, but I'm ok at 65 these days. Amazing what being retired can do to you!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Aye retirements' a great safety device. I ride slower, leave bigger gaps and generally look about a lot more, all because I'm not in such a hurry. Mind you probably the biggest one is I only ride when I want to, which is much less.. :)

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

2wheelover51 wrote:Aye retirements' a great safety device. I ride slower, leave bigger gaps and generally look about a lot more, all because I'm not in such a hurry. Mind you probably the biggest one is I only ride when I want to, which is much less.. :)
Off motorway, on empty back roads, I'd be inclined to agree.
But on motorways, I'm afraid the older I get, the faster I go :lol: ! I hate the bleddy things and can't wait to get off them; not enough years left in me to waste time bimbling on a motorway...
(Usually the M5, because there's no other way of getting past Brissle...)
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

rayb
Benefactor

Post by rayb »

Greyerbeard wrote: (Usually the M5, because there's no other way of getting past Brissle...)
Are you a neighbour Greyerbeard? I'm in Droitwich.

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

Ah no - near Gloucester; relatives in Taunton area.
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350