2018 X-Max 400 1202 miles review

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
ramasay
Benefactor
Current Ride: None

2018 X-Max 400 1202 miles review

Post by ramasay »

1202 mile review. Decided to wait until I could give it some welly before reviewing.
So this scoot for me is the TDB’s. Picked up on 19 Dec, so not much mileage over Xmas, but 1202 miles made in 7 weeks. As soon as I rode off from dealer it felt totally different, far plusher ride, I’m sure they have worked on the front internals/damping as well. No more being bounced off the seat over bad bumps, which I had always put down to the harsh rear shocks on old 2015 400.

What’s good: handling, (bearing in mind it is winter and tyres are not getting that hot) the M/Cycle double triple yolks at the front just seem to cure everything, no more understeering, on some of my favourite twisties in East Hertfordshire, I am ploughing thru at err., 65-?? Instead of 35-40 max, I would say there is an average of 20 MPH gain on most bends. The repositioning of the main stand ‘kick down lever’ means no more scrapping of tarmac. The only bits that touch down are the feet of the main stand, but when this happens I am going for it, (these have now been cut off manually) the rear tyre marks show I am 4mm from edge of rear tyre and front 7mm.

Performance: roll on from tru 40mph to 70 is 8 secs, I am sure the old 400 was about 12 secs, roll on at 30 between two lampposts in my road is 2 secs quicker. Run in mpg @ 67mpg, and that’s ragging it. 75 mpg normal riding.

Comfort: The seat is far better, on old 400 I could only manage about 45mins-1hr before I had to get off. This one 2 hours and that was only cos I needed a pee. Leg room for me is fine with a 32” inside leg, I know the burg 400 has more leg stretchability, but is like old Yam X-Max 400, single clamp forks and no handling, (benefit of having a Yam/Suzi dealer) back to back testing is quick and easy.

Handlebars moved to forward position which gives less arm ache.

Nicely lit Icy white/blue speedo/rev counter and TFT central display at night. Awesome Icy white/blue headlights on dip. Screen has a slight flip to it which means not much wind noise and can do 70 without ear plugs (if I have forgot to put in).
New engine mounts cut vibes, linked with better Fuel Injection means dead smooth. Free revving even from new, did not feel like a tight engine at all. Only need 2500rpm to move off in traffic, 4000rpm on old 400. Normal for me no cars in front 3000rpm on 2018 model, instead of 4500 rpm on 2015.

What’s bad: The TFT central display is not bright enough during the day and can only be read clearly when sun is behind you! (Online videos show this as well). Not good Mr Yam for faking/photoshopping etc. promo/adds/Yam UK website pics.
High beam is as good as useless, just slightly brightens area of dip coverage but no good otherwise. Very rarely go on twisties at night, but never the less….!

Pain in the arse keyless controls. Ignition controlled aux. socket, (hence I fitted a direct wired one). Front panel to access battery very hard to get off which I needed to, to wire in basic alarm, extra aux. socket for charger, and ignition up Oxford grips.

The fairing curves round, and where top and bottom panels joins, directs a cold blast of air right at knee level. Have put on damarts for first time in 4 years cos of this.

Can’t think of anything else.

Verdict: Out of 13 bikes inc. 3 scoots owned in 39 yrs, only 3 have had it all, 1997 Honda CB1000 (The Big One), 2012 Suzi Bandit 650, 2018 X-max 400. Says it all. As long as the good outweighs the bad by a huge margin, that’s it.

https://imageshack.com/a/RJpl/1

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Re: 2018 X-Max 400 1202 miles review

Post by Greyerbeard »

Would you think Yamaha will lose T-Max sales because of this bike?
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

ramasay
Benefactor

Post by ramasay »

Greyerbeard wrote:Would you think Yamaha will lose T-Max sales because of this bike?
probly not, only if its down to cost, as I've said before here, I could have afforded a T max, but for my usage 400 is fine.

But I do think 400 is a bargain in comparison. My selling dealer did say the T max is too overpriced

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Interesting. Now we have a benchmark of "roll on from 40mph to 70 is 8 secs" next time I'm on the 300 we can see how they compare (at least in this one aspect, anyway).
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

mac65
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda ADV 350

Post by mac65 »

High beam is as good as useless, just slightly brightens area of dip coverage but no good otherwise. Very rarely go on twisties at night, but never the less….!
Great to read your review as I've only got just over a week till I get mine. I was hoping for a better review on the headlights! I was out for a trip on Saturday to visit my brother who lives 35 miles from me, and I left him to come home in the dark, my first rural night ride on the X-Max and I wasn't impressed with the lights. So by the sound of things they haven't improved in that area! :( . My brother has a 2015 T-Max and says it has very good lights as he travels the 35 miles to work, pity that hadn't done that with the X-Max. Do you think there is a way of improving the main beam? Can't wait to try out the handling. Just had a look at your photo's, where did you get the 400 badges that you've fitted to the scoot?
enjoy eXtra to the Max

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

I can’t see it stealing t max sales. Glad you like yours , sounds great , but for me a bit cramped at 6 foot 6 . Had 7 t max’s And that is the scoot for me. They look similar from the front and loads of them down here in Brighton. The T max is probably overpriced but always has been relatively. 2nd hand prices are firming and the new 2017 model is a fantastic scoot, fast and easy to use, plus bloody quick .Very different bikes but both great scoots

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

StephenC wrote:Interesting. Now we have a benchmark of "roll on from 40mph to 70 is 8 secs" next time I'm on the 300 we can see how they compare (at least in this one aspect, anyway).
Tried it out this morning. Can't say the 300 was any slower but it wasn't exactly scientific as I was counting in my head!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

StephenC wrote: Tried it out this morning. Can't say the 300 was any slower but it wasn't exactly scientific as I was counting in my head!
Yes... I'm sure you were forgetting to take account of the effects of Relativity as defined by Einstein. Don't forget that at speed, everything is relative - your time and distance won't be the same as anyone else's!

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

MrGrumpy wrote:
StephenC wrote: Tried it out this morning. Can't say the 300 was any slower but it wasn't exactly scientific as I was counting in my head!
Yes... I'm sure you were forgetting to take account of the effects of Relativity as defined by Einstein. Don't forget that at speed, everything is relative - your time and distance won't be the same as anyone else's!
Sorry, you are right and I completely overlooked the impact of Doppler Shift too. The time when I started the experiment, being further west than the point at which I finished was certainly likely to be out of phase, especially given the dew point differential due to the increased separation from sunrise giving rise to reactive humidity stiffening. It's all a bit timey-wimey for me to explain it all to anyone else in full so how about I just say: "there ain't much difference"?

ramasay
Benefactor

Post by ramasay »

mac65 wrote:Do you think there is a way of improving the main beam? Can't wait to try out the handling. Just had a look at your photo's, where did you get the 400 badges that you've fitted to the scoot?
No way to improve main beam, apart from aux lights. had dealer look into, seems main complaint about 400/300.
'400' Badges:- Halfords. @ £2 per character, bit oversized, but do the job.

The screen is only on lower (standard) position.