2018 X-Max 400 1202 miles review

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
ramasay
Benefactor
Current Ride: None

Re: 2018 X-Max 400 1202 miles review

Post by ramasay »

mac65 wrote:.....Ramasay can park on the hill with the parking brake. :lol: And the extra comfort with the extra luxury seat as fitted to the 400! :D
:lol:
Forgot to say in review, parking brake very useful. Great at traffic lights on slopes/hills, no more holding a brake lever.

What you've never had, you don't miss, but the parking brake I would miss. Never thought I would have said that a month ago.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Granted that the parking brake would be nice to have but I dispute that the 400 has enhanced breaking capabilities just because it has an extra disc.

Don't forget the extra weight - that's why it needs the second disc up front. Mind you, the drag from the giant exhaust may help in slowing from high speed?

I've a feeling that on the road both will be pretty even on acceleration up to around 50 -ish, after which the 400 would pull away. On braking, I'd say most likely there is little in it again although the double disc setup may resist fade on repeated stops. The 400 would probably be better for carrying Pillion too (but only if her dad lets her have a go...)
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

The 400 would probably be better for carrying Pillion too (but only if her dad lets her have a go...)
:D :lol:
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

ramasay
Benefactor

Post by ramasay »

Well today with no winds at all from any direction, made 40-70 in 7secs, so peeled off at Turnford Jnc. on A10 and did two more runs just to check, all three at 7 secs.

I think whatever one buys, 300 or 400, owners will be delighted.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Damn it. You're raising the bar. I may have to fit some nitrous before my next run....

Agreed on the general overall satisfaction with the Xmax. :)
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

ramasay
Benefactor

Post by ramasay »

StephenC wrote:Damn it. You're raising the bar. I may have to fit some nitrous before my next run....
Agreed on the general overall satisfaction with the Xmax. :)
Nitro hah ha :lol: :lol:

However, back down to dealer now, as left hand rear suspension strut collapsed this morning. V interesting handling at back. That's two in month, last time was R/H strut that collapsed. Replaced as a pair under warranty last month. But WTF again!!!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

ramasay wrote: However, back down to dealer now, as left hand rear suspension strut collapsed this morning. V interesting handling at back. That's two in month, last time was R/H strut that collapsed. Replaced as a pair under warranty last month. But WTF again!!!

What??? :?: :?: :?: :?: Suspension struts collapsing??? :?: :?: On a brand new scoot???? I think WTF is an extremely mild reaction! Is it the struts themselves that fail (ie faulty components) or where they mount to the scoot?? It all sounds highly dangerous....

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Ah but remember your warrantee won't cover you for racing or speed testing! :lol:

mac65
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda ADV 350

Post by mac65 »

However, back down to the dealer now, as left-hand rear suspension strut collapsed this morning. V interesting handling at back. That's two in a month, last time was R/H strut that collapsed. Replaced as a pair under warranty last month. But WTF again!!!
That is a worry! Will need to have a word with my dealer and see if this is an issue!
Granted that the parking brake would be nice to have but I dispute that the 400 has enhanced breaking capabilities just because it has an extra disc.

Don't forget the extra weight - that's why it needs the second disc up front. Mind you, the drag from the giant exhaust may help in slowing from high speed?
I know 400 is heavier, but not twice the weight, so surely this would make the braking more efficient on the 400?
enjoy eXtra to the Max

ramasay
Benefactor

Post by ramasay »

MrGrumpy wrote:.... Is it the struts themselves that fail (ie faulty components) or where they mount to the scoot?? It all sounds highly dangerous....
Its the collar above where the c spanner goes in to adjust preload. Both times happened when I was turning back down to '2' after some spirited riding. The collar is not welded properly, its sprung out and gets twisted and springs uncoils right to top of mounting nuts and gets jammed there. R/H strut went last time and replaced as a pair under warranty.

For now they have put on the original L/H strut so I can still use as this one was more mangled and could not be temp repaired.
IMG_2582.JPG